Account and Category Report

OK, I’m in middle of modifying it to add Tags as well. I’ll share once I’m done.

1 Like

I modified the Account and Category Report to now filter on tags. I also included a count of transactions, not just the dollar amount.
You can now filter by Tag and also summarize by Tag as well.

1 Like

@yossiea and @Cowboy13 thank you both so much! This modified sheet with ability to Filter and Summarize by Tags is perfect! I really like these additions.

I love the Tiller Community and the quick help. I only wish all my accounts were able to connect and sync data. Currently 4 of my institutions cannot connect and error out (yes, I’ve read the support articles – still no go). So unfortunately this may be the end of the Tiller road for me. :frowning:

1 Like

KirkO,
There are some accounts that consistently have connection issues for me; but refreshing them and sometimes reentering the login credentials have always fixed it. I believe this is on the account side, not Tiller.

I used Mint for 10+ years before trying out Tiller. I had a ton of issues with Mint with very limited (really non existent) support. I constantly had connection issue and the solution was typically to set up a new account and “close” the old one. I had to manually delete the duplicates each time this happened. I have 10+ Chase “accounts” in Mint for the same credit cards and mortgages and many other institutions with similar issues. Also with Mint, I would manually enter my income/expenses each month into a spreadsheet to get it in a format that was meaningful to me and had a separate spreadsheet for investment returns tracking since Mint really sucked at it. These items would take me a bunch of time each month. I tried Personal Capital, but it’s more focused on investing than budgeting and didn’t work for me.

My point is that I have yet to find a personal finance service that is without some issues. What I like about Tiller is that the community and support has been great so far and the flexibility I have to create my own reports and have them automatically populate with my transactions and balance info is saving me a ton of time and allowing me to be smarter with my financial decisions.

Good luck in whatever you decide to use; it has to work for you.

Scott,
Thank you for the insight. I agree with many of your statements. And I would like to switch to Tiller, but haven’t had the same experience with account connections / data-sync. In fact, it’s been the opposite for me. I have 2 CC accounts and 1 bank account, where 95% of my transactions live, that I have not been able to connect in Tiller now going on 3 weeks. Yet, they’ve been reliable in Mint.com for 2+ years.

I’ve read and followed steps in the support articles and opened a case with Tiller, so am awaiting answers. But without those accounts connecting, it is a non-starter for me. I don’t want to get off tangent from this topic – your report and Yossiea’s help have been amazing. Here’s a link to the ‘account connection’ topic, if interested.

@Cowboy13 I see you have a column in your report in the hidden area called ‘Super Group’ . Can you explain what that is used for? I don’t see a drop-down for it in the ‘Summarize By’ or ‘Filter By’ sections. And, if used, I assume this column would be required in the ‘Categories’ sheet?

I’m curious, because I was thinking about creating a higher level bucket for reporting like this. i.e.

• Super Group: Tax, Non-Tax, Partial-Tax (for tax-related, year-end reporting)
  • Group: Main functional groups like Living, Charity, Health, Discretionary, etc. (for budget and cost analysis type reporting)
  • Category: All the detail categories (used in all reporting, especially for filtering, like in your report with the drop-downs)

I like the idea of a ‘Super Group’ vs. Tagging, as long as I can tie the Super Group automatically to the transaction and main group. i.e. via the AutoCat function. The issue I have with tagging is it’s optional and I sometimes forget to use the right tags (or any tags)

Anyway, was curious about your intent of the ‘Super Group’. And if any other reports use this (that you know of)? Thanks!

1 Like

I had planned to use Super Group exactly how you describe, but never implemented it as I have been able to do the analysis I needed with Category, Group, and Tags.

It wouldn’t be that hard to implement in the Category and Autocat sheets though. I may go back to it at a later date.

I do use Tags, but not like I would have used Super Category. I use Tags mostly to group together Travel expenses for different vacations we take. That way I can see the total expenses for each vacation. Tags works well for this because it is optional and easy to define new tags. I do offer a drop down list of existing tags on the Transactions sheet, but only to avoid guessing what the existing Tag names are, it doesn’t give any error or warning when you create a new Tag.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

1 Like

@Yossiea, How do I use your Account and Category report within Tiller. I clicked on the link but it did not open in Tiller.

You need to copy the sheet to your own Google sheet. On the bottom, right click on the sheet and copy to your own sheet.
I would also point you to a different sheet that might work for you: Transaction Tracker for Google Sheets