Accounting for embedded PayPal, Stripe processing fees in Transaction sheet

Hi all…just curious what other Tiller Transaction sheet users do when their CC processor (PayPal, Stripe, etc.) reduces the full invoice amount billed by a processing fee and Tiller records the reduced deposit amount?

I understand that we can manually add a new transaction entry to reflect the processor fee like a bank fee expense, but is there a more elegant and automated solution to handle this type of transaction?

Thanks…Jim

1 Like

This is a great question. I’m curious as to what other people have come up with. Personally, I do create that extra transaction and break them out between the gross payment and the PayPal fee. I also break my pay out between gross and all deductions, so this would save a lot of time if there’s a better way!

@randy, does the Amazon importer handle this case well for PayPal?

I do these things manually on the transactions tab and would be interested in any process that could automate it.

Good question, @heather. Paypal’s CSV report includes the following columns:

• Gross
  • Fee
  • Net

As built, the Paypal workflow in the Amazon Line Item Importer adds just a single row for each line item into the Transactions sheet. The add-on maps the Net value to the Amount column in Transactions.

The Paypal fee is captured in the Metadata column— which uses a JSON format— and could be recovered with formulas or scripts.

Randy

1 Like