Autocat Not Overriding Amount

Hello!

I have an auto cat rule that isn’t overriding the transaction amount. I know the rule is successfully running because it’s the only rule for that category and the category is updating in the transaction spreadsheet. If I remove the category from the transaction and re-run auto cat, it will update again each time without problem. However, the “Amount” column isn’t being updated. It’s listed in the “Amount” column on the “AutoCat” sheet but nothing is changing. I also tried removing the Category override to see if it would work just as an amount override by itself but that didn’t work either. And the Transactions column is still “Amount” I didn’t change that. Thanks for your help.

Yeah, I was just playing with this the other day and experienced the same. Just curious, though, why do you want to override the amount that’s coming from an financial institution? Maybe there’s another way to solve the problem.

I want the gross amount for my paycheck to be listed for my payroll deposit instead of the net amount that actually hits the account. I then manually add a bunch of other transactions to categorize all of the payroll deductions (i.e. health insurance, 401k contribution, tax withheld, etc.) I have a separate sheet that generates all of these transactions that I copy-paste into the transaction spreadsheet. Those aren’t the issue though, I’m just trying to automate updating the deposit amount.

The more I think about it, since I’m already adding in transactions, I suppose it’s just as simple to add one more for the gross pay - and then categorize the actual net deposit to the account to a hidden category.

Gotcha - have you considered using Paycheck Deduction Transaction Generator?

Yeah - I did see that while I was playing around and was going to investigate using it more tonight. Thanks!

1 Like

I think it’s probably that AutoCat can’t override the Amount column. I’m not 100% WHY that is, but likely just the behavior that’s written into the code.

Recommend adding a feature request if you want it to be able to override amounts.

For greater context, our product team prioritizes bugs, issues, and requests based on the severity of the issue and how many customers are impacted or requesting this feature. To provide insight on expectations, issues like this may not be actioned for many months or at all if it’s not a widespread issue. That timeline is based on the team’s current existing log of issues and upcoming feature releases which is subject to change.