Automatically split reoccurring transacations

Is there a way to automatically split reoccurring transactions across multiple categories? For example, my cable bill includes phone and internet charges. I would like to have this bill automatically split into three categories (cable, phone, internet) each month when it is posted.

:wave: @brewer.05,

That is a great suggestion. I’d recommend you also add this to our feature requests list. I could see it being a nice addition to AutoCat’s functionality.

https://community.tillerhq.com/c/feature-requests

We don’t have a way to automatically do it right now, and I’m guessing you’ve already seen the Tiller Transaction Splitter?

Let me know if you need more help.

Heather

The AutoCat feature is a handy way to solve this. But another option would be to create a new sheet for your split reoccurring transactions to hold a template.

Create a new sheet for storing Template transactions.

Copy the rows of a transaction you already split into the new sheet. For example, your cable, phone and internet rows.

When you get a new bill, insert 3 rows in your transactions sheet. (Don’t worry about where you do this, since when you add the correct date, it will get auto-sorted when updated.)

Go to your Template sheet and copy the 3 rows for the transaction and paste them into the Transactions sheet where you have the empty 3 new rows.

Let us know if that works for you.

1 Like

So, @jonorlin, the idea is that the “template” is a set of rows (matching the Transactions sheet columns) that have been properly split, categorized and labeled? All that needs updating is the transaction date?

Rather than running the splitter on each new charge, I would just copy in the pre-formatted set of rows?

Do you imagine overwriting the transaction that comes from Tiller’s feeds with the new rows or creating offsets in the “template” that properly net out the categorized values?

Randy

1 Like

So, @jonorlin, the idea is that the “template” is a set of rows (matching the Transactions sheet columns) that have been properly split, categorized and labeled? All that needs updating is the transaction date?

Yes, that is the idea: a pre-built set of rows for a recurring split transaction.

This is especially helpful if you want to split something that has lots of rows, like a paycheck with different withholding and deductions. That way you don’t have to enter the Description and Categories each time like you would using AutoCat.

Sometimes the date is the only thing that needs changing. But, you might need to change amounts for certain transactions, say a mortgage payment that splits interest and principle differently each month.

Rather than running the splitter on each new charge, I would just copy in the pre-formatted set of rows?

Correct

Do you imagine overwriting the transaction that comes from Tiller’s feeds with the new rows or creating offsets in the “template” that properly net out the categorized values?

When I use it, i insert new rows below the original Tiller feed transaction. As a double check, i confirm the split amounts getting inserted match the original row amount. If it matches, I delete the original row. Another option would be to zero out the original, so the transaction isn’t double-counted.

3 Likes

Just a thought - For example, regarding a paycheck, maybe consider inserting rows into the Transactions tab right below your current paycheck row and then do a copy/paste of the data already in the Transactions tab from your prior paycheck. Change any fields as appropriate. After everything checks out, then you could delete the original paycheck row.

4 Likes

That certainly works too and doesn’t require an extra sheet.

One trick to doing it using a prior entry in the Transactions sheet is to use a Description that starts with the same word(s) so when the sheet gets sorted by date, all those transactions stay together.

1 Like