Budget Journal Sheet - Note Column

When I click Update Budget Savings, I get the new changes inserted at the top of my Budget Journal sheet. However, the Note column isn’t being inserted. The note from the old rows 2 and 3 stay in the new rows 2 and 3. I can fix this by simply inserting two cells at the at row two but I would think this should be automatic.

I think the Note column is usually left empty for you to manually enter a note in that workflow. Would that explain the behavior, @pixel.dick?

In my sheet it is never left blank. I manually enter an explanation for each adjustment. If I was to guess at an explanation, the routine that enters the new rows of data isn’t inserting in that column.

So I understand, @pixel.dick

• You always manually enter a note for each new row in Budget Journal
  • When you use the Tiller Money Labs add-on to update your Savings Budget, the new adjustments appear at the top of the Budget Journal sheet, but the Note field(s) from previous entries are not moved lower in the table with their adjustment rows

Is this accurate?

To be fair, about two weeks ago I upgraded to the foundation template and the Budget Journal sheet. I was previously using an older Template and the Rollover feature (envelope budget).
I used the Tiller Money Labs add-on to update my Savings Budget twice. The first time was transferring my rollovers to the new sheet and most recently I made one adjustment.

To answer your questions, yes to both.

has there been a solution to this? I’m having the same problem.

No. Each time I update my budget savings, I go into the Journal and insert enough cells, shifting down, to line everything up, again. I don’t do many adjustments so it’s not much of a hassle for me.

@randy I’m just putting this back on your radar - seems like it should be an easy fix?

@randy I’ll also echo that I am experiencing this issue. Any time new entries are added to the Budget Journal through the Update Savings Budget workflow, entries in the notes column do not shift down with their corresponding rows, regardless of whether or not the notes were added manually or through other workflows such as Rename Category. This appears to be due to the Update Savings Budget workflow inserting the new cells at the top of the rows in the Budget Journal sheet for the currently selected period. Maybe if the workflow included a blank note the cells would shift properly?

I’ve also noticed with the Rename Category and Merge Category workflows, the first time a category is changed a note is added in the Budget Journal, but subsequent changes to the renamed/merged category do not update this note, neither appending nor overwriting.

Just found the problem. The insertion is working properly but the Savings Budget Update workflow performs a sort at the end of the operation but does not include the full table range, causing the data to fall out of sync.

While I was in there, @cculber2, I made the rename/merge note field prepend subsequent notes.

Thanks for your patience on this, everyone.

(You might need to reload your browser pane to get the new version.)

1 Like

Thanks, @randy!

Just closing and reloading the Tiller Community Solutions pane wasn’t enough to apply the changes, but after closing and reopening my spreadsheet the updates went through. Both changes are working great. Thank you again for making the fix!

No problem.
Yes… you need to reload the browser tab to reload the add-on (and fetch a new build).

Glad to hear these issues are resolved. Thanks everyone for your patience.

I verified, this morning, it works for me, as well.

Great. Thanks for the feedback, everyone.