šŸ† Budget Plan - Google Sheets

Set the start date to the date of your first payment for the year, set the Frequency to Monthly, and set the Multiplier to 3.

Copy that, thank you. I was putting the 3 in the occurrence not the multiplier. Thatā€™ll do it!

Cheers
Brian

My start month in the budget plan and categories sheet is November, however, it seems to be skipping December in the categories sheet and putting in Januaryā€™s values from the budget plan where Decemberā€™s should be in the categories sheet. Ideas?

Everything in categories is one month ahead of budget plan. Seems like a simple fix but I am having a hard time.

Depending on what columns you have in your Categories sheet, you might have the adjust the formula. The first month of my budget period, Jan 2022, is in column F, so my formula I have in cell F2 is:
=IF(ISBLANK($A2),"",IFERROR(SUMIF('Budget Plan'!$E$4:$E$200,$A2,OFFSET('Budget Plan'!$L$4:$L$200,0,MATCH(DATEVALUE(F$1),'Budget Plan'!$M$3:$X$3,0))),0))
If your first month is in a different column, then youā€™d change the ā€œDATEVALUE(F$1)ā€ to match the column yours starts in. Once youā€™ve done that, you can then drag that formula across all the columns, and then down all the rows.

I also use @randy Savings Budget. My question - If you cannot adjust the ā€œbudgetā€ amount, how would one make the change on the budget planner if you were to receive a raise mid-year, or have a rent increase? Wouldnā€™t changing it on the budget planner change all the months for the budgeting period?

For something like that, Iā€™d create two budget items. One would start at the beginning of the year and have an end date after your last paycheck at the lower rate. Then the next budget item would have a start date before the first increased paycheck, and an optional end date at the end of the year.

1 Like

@jpfieber, Iā€™m trying to setup a budget starting June 2022, this is when I started using Tiller. When I enter Monthly and enter a start date of 6/1/2022, the budget ends at the end of December and nothing is entered starting in January and on. I realize if I want to start in June then I donā€™t need to enter a start date, however I figured this was an error that needs to be fixed since I think it should just continue through the full 12 months since I did not enter an end date. Can you look into what is causing this behavior?

@jpfieber Ignore my last question! I was still in version 1.60 of your budget plan. I upgraded to the latest version and I am no longer having this issue.

1 Like

When I have a budgeted item Frequency set to ā€œAnnuallyā€ and I change the Status to ā€œDisable,ā€ the amounts donā€™t get cleared out from the totals. Disabling does work for all other frequency types.

Thanks @brettanicus, just found the bug and fixed it in the shared template. Once @randy pushes the update youā€™ll be able to update your template using the Community Solutions add-on.
The new version will be 1.72
The update is: Fixed missing status check for frequency ā€œAnnualā€.

1 Like

Just updated it, @jpfieber. Give it a few minutes to clear caches before downloading everyone.

Sorry @randy push another update so quickly, but I found a way to convert the main formulas in the Budget Plan sheet to array formulas instead of individual formulas in each cell. I think this will improve performance (seems peppier to me). There are no other changes to functionality, so if youā€™re fine with the current performance, thereā€™s no rush to update. Will be available once @randy pushes the update.
The new version will be 1.80
The update is: Updated main formulas to array formulas

Hi, I just loaded the Budget Plan template and the Group column is not populating with anything. I see a #REF! error within the formula, but not sure how to correct it. Iā€™m using a fresh Foundation Template with no changes to the Category sheet other than populating with my Groups and Categories. Here is what I see in cell D3 for Group in the Budget Plan sheet: ={ā€œGroupā€; ARRAYFORMULA( IFERROR( VLOOKUP( E4:E, {INDIRECT($AK$2),INDIRECT(#REF!)},2, FALSE ), IFERROR(1/0) ) ) }

I do like to sort by Group so any thoughts you have on this would be appreciated.

Woops, I broke that with the 1.80 update. Just fixed it,
The version is now 1.81
The update is: Fixed broken Groups column from last update

Thank you!! That did it! And thanks for the prompt response.

Should be updated to 1.80 now, @jpfieber.

I noticed that the start date of a category is only taking into account the month. I changed L3 to 1/1/2023, but the category that started in 8/1/2022 only started populating in August. Not a big deal, I can just remove the start date since itā€™s for the whole year butjust thought you might wan to know.

@jpfieber I need help with this scenario. If Iā€™m budgeting Jan - Dec and have a budget category that I need to adjust upwards at some point mid year because I realize I need to be spending more in that category than I originally thought, how do I make the adjustments to only affect the months going forward from that point on. I do not want to affect previous month categories as those budget months were already balanced and I donā€™t want to throw those balanced budgets off by introducing new budget numbers to the prior months. Can the budget plan handle this? If so, how?

One more budget plan question. I want to budget my income and expenses so that they equal each other. Is there somewhere on the Budget Plan that I can put a summation of my expenses minus the sum of my income so I can budget this number to zero?

@jpfieber Iā€™m having issues with Bi-Monthly, for some reason when I set a row to bi-monthly the occurrences are showing as 0. What do you think might be the issue?