Converting from Google Sheets Foundation Template to Excel

:wave:

This category is for how to, recommended workflows, advice, and troubleshooting a Microsoft Excel template or solution other than the Foundation Template.

If you need help with a bank connection, missing transactions, using the Tiller Money Feeds add-in, or questions about the Foundation Template please reach out to our support team via the chat tool on the Console at https://sheets.tillerhq.com/auth/login

Did you already search the community for your question? Help us keep duplicate threads about the same question/content under control by searching before you post :slight_smile:

I’ve been using Tiller with Google sheets (based on the Foundation Template) for several years now. I don’t do any complicated budgeting or anything – just keeping track of expenditures and using the sheets for easy tax prep. But I’m much more facile with Excel. Does Excel now have about the same capability and Google Sheets with Tiller? If so, what’s the easiest (idiot-proof) way to switch?

Thanks

I’ve been using Tiller with Google sheets (based on the Foundation Template) for several years now. I don’t do any complicated budgeting or anything – just keeping track of expenditures and using the sheets for easy tax prep. But I’m much more facile with Excel. Does Excel now have about the same capability and Google Sheets with Tiller? If so, what’s the easiest (idiot-proof) way to switch?

Thanks

Most of the core pieces are now in the Excel version, with AutoCAT still being in Beta. Templates are still limited for Excel, so you’ll need to check on the status of any templates you like to use. Converting over will be a manual process. You’ll need to setup all the accounts from scratch. You can likely copy/paste your Categories. For Transactions, I’d setup your Excel Transactions sheet with the same columns your Google sheet has. Then update transactions on both your Google sheet and your Excel sheet so they are both fully up-to-date. Then I’d delete the transactions from the Excel sheet, and copy/paste all the transactions from the Google transaction sheet. Seems that should work, but do some double-checking for the first few days of importing transactions after that to be sure you’re not getting duplicates and that nothing is missing.

1 Like

Not sure I am adding much, but like you I have much more experience with Excel. I started with Sheets but quickly shifted over to Excel. The core functionality is all there (and the beta AutoCAT is awesome). But what I liked about Excel is that I could add my own worksheets and data analysis to fit my needs. Switching from one to the other was pretty painless. And it is non-destructive. It does require updating two sets of transactions until you are comfortable with the switch, but it does keep the original data safe.

1 Like