Could the internally formatted content of the .CSV file type distributed by banking institutions be regulated?

Does anyone have detail on how the .CSV format has been created or standardized?

This question has particular focus on a separation of the design standard for the .CSV file type and those standards internal to and enacting on the developmental content.

Ostensibly the authority to do things like adjust column placement, titles, category names, add columns does appear fully within the scope of a developmental process inside each individual institution. While there may be standards that govern and control what a .CSV file type is, the structure of the information content appears to be fully and in many cases, diabolically? controlled by banking institutions or their development teams.

There is not to my knowledge any central repository where users can submit the .CSV formatting of banking institutions to a standards board or committee for review. So who is ultimately responsible for the work order created when a bank decides to change the date format of their .CSV report?

For those who have been following open source bank development, how important is the .CSV standard to the future of the open bank technology and what might actually be going on inside institutions where someone would swap the position of a data column, add a new title or add supplemental/experimental information columns 1-2x per year seemingly randomly?

A few reference links (add and improve quality/relevance)

CSV Overview
(Comma-separated values - Wikipedia)

Working group on .CSV format
(CSV on the Web Working Group Wiki)

I’m not aware of any governing authority on what gets added to a bank CSV but I totally feel your pain :slight_smile:

I think @randy is working on a show & tell that may make the mess created by so many different formats a little easier to deal with if you’re trying to manually import data to your Tiller transactions sheet.