CSV importer tool issue - Account name doesn't import

I’m working on importing older transactions into my Foundation template and followed the instructions for using the Import CSV Line Items > Basic CSV Transactions tool. I formatted the columns/headers according to the “Basic Bank Import Template”. However, after clicking to Upload the final formatted CSV and importing into the spreadsheet, I notice that the Account # is imported into both the Account # and Account columns. Not sure why the Account isn’t importing properly. Seems like there might be an issue with the tool? In any case, is there any problem with manually pasting the Account name into the Account # column to overwrite it with the correct info?

@moneymutt, sorry about that. We’ll look into that and see if we can push a fix quickly.

Until then, there is no harm in manually pasting the account name into the Account column to get the right data in there.

Heather

Great catch, @moneymutt. There was indeed an issue with the import rules. I have published a fix. You can try to reimport the file if you haven’t already fixed the problem manually.

Thanks for letting us know! :pray:

I’m having a similar issue even though I know you updated a fix. I’m using the basic bank template to add transactions for a manually added account on tiller. In the manually added account, I only have an account name. No account number or institution. In the template, what should I be using as the account name? The short display name? Or the unique name that tiller generates? Thanks for your help.

You mean under Tiller Money Feeds add-on > Manual Accounts? You can add an institution and account number there. This is for the Balances side of things.

If this is for a manual account then Tiller isn’t generating any name, right?

@heather, yes in your first question I was trying to say that using the tiller add on, I added a manual account. That process went fine. I did not add an institution or account number, since the account I added isn’t actually a real account. It’s just an “implied” account where my gross pay will go. I can add a number and fake institution if that is required for the import to work. Just let me know.

For the second part of your question, I am guessing that maybe the reason the csv import didn’t work is because I was using the wrong account name identifier. Even though the manual account I added doesn’t have an institution or account number, my understanding from looking at the “balances” sheet is that every account has a account name field (which is basically just the name you give it) and the account id field which is the name plus a string of unique numbers. I was trying to confirm if the bank import template wanted me to use the unique I’d account name or just the simple account name. Hope that makes sense.

Also, I watched one of your and Randy’s videos on recurring transactions, and think I might use that approach (copying rows from a recurring tab and pasting values only into the transaction spreadsheet). Can you think of any drawbacks to using that approach vs. the csv importer function?

Thanks for your help!

Sorry but I’m not quite understanding what you’re trying to do, @Ngb12347.

It sounds like you’re using the create-manual-account/balance workflow in Tiller Money Feeds… but this isn’t really connected to the CSV import workflows which are for transactions, not balances.

The connection between imported transactions and accounts in the spreadsheet is a weak one. The Import Line Items workflow will import the name provided in the CSV but more than likely that account name will not exactly match anything in your spreadsheet. You will need to make changes manually to imported transactions if you’d like everything to match up.

The recurring transaction workflows (in the videos you reference) are quite different from importing CSV line items.

Can you clarify what you are trying to accomplish and what isn’t working?

Thanks,
Randy

@randy, thanks for following up. I’m new to tiller and really appreciate that you and Heather are so active on the message boards.
I think what I am trying to do has evolved over the course of this conversation, so that’s why its confusing. Originally I was having a problem with the importer not bringing in the correct account name (or any account name), but this quote helps me understand that I would need to go in and manually update.

I guess my second question now, is this: am I losing anything by copying exact transaction details (from a recurring sheet) and pasting them into the transactions tab as opposed to using the csv importer to bring in the same transactions?

I don’t think you are losing anything here, but it might depend on the type of import and whats in the CSV vs the columns in your sheet.

Sorry for the delayed reply on this, but let us know if you need more help with any of it :slight_smile: