Custom Account Names

Is there a way to customize the account names? It seems like the default is something like: Bank, Account Type, Account Name, Account number (example: “Vanguard - Investments And Retirements - xxCustomerName - Roth Ira Brokerage Account - Xxxxxxxx - xxxxxxxx (xxxx)”). If you have multiple accounts at the same bank then this is alot of text to have to expand the column to read which account is on the line. I made some vlookups with my own shorter naming convention as a workaround on one sheet, but wanted to see if others have a better way to address this.

I did this to a bunch of my accounts by going to the console page (https://sheets.tillerhq.com/) and opening up Account Summary and then clicking on the pencils beside the names I wanted to change. I did it a few weeks ago and the name changes all ‘stuck’ through everywhere I needed them to. Might be worth a try.

1 Like

The name change is prospective only. Go into the applicable sheet/s and change the old name to the new name for prior entries.

Blake

As @susandennis suggested, start by changing them on the Console. This change will be reflected in future feeds data, but will not modify data already in your sheet— e.g. in Transactions or Balance History. If you care/need to update the older data in your spreadsheet you can use find & replace in Google Sheets.

I’m working on migrating an updated version of the Repair Balance History workflow from the soon-to-be-deprecated Tiller Utilities add-on into the Tiller Community Solutions add-on. That should be published in the next week and will also help true up old balance entries.

Good luck, @CHILL.
Randy

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, this is what I was hoping to achieve.

In the world of software development, " deprecated " refers to functions or elements that are in the process of being replaced by newer ones. The term comes from the word “deprecate,” which means to disapprove of something. … In HTML, elements such as tags and attributes may be deprecated from one version to the next.

I couldn’t help myself. I love Tiller.

1 Like

Whew. I nearly messed that up, but finally got the renaming fixed. I don’t ever want to do that again without some automated help. :laughing:

Did you end up using the Repair Balance History workflow in the the Tiller Labs add-on, @RobA1701?

I did, but it didn’t change the names for me oddly. So I did global changes. Fudged a few but figured it out. :roll_eyes:

Just clarifying here…I have edited the account name on the console, so I should replace the older-than-today balances in the Balance History Tab with the new account name? Will this also change the name of this account on the Accounts sheet or will I simply select the newly renamed account on the accounts sheet where the older one shows up with an error?

@Brad.warren, the Repair Balance History tool should take care of the renaming in the Balance History sheet for you, recognizing that the name is now different than what it used to be by comparing the newest entry associated with that Account ID to previous ones. Otherwise you can do a careful sort on Balance History and manually clean it up.

However, that won’t update the account names on the Accounts sheet and you’ll see the red triangle indicating a data validation error as that entry no longer appears in the list so yes you’d need to manually update the Accounts sheet with the new selections from the dropdown.

2 Likes

Great! Thanks. I will do that.

I used the manual sort method. All good! Thanks.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Why don’t my modified account nicknames names show up?