Customize Account Types

Is there a way to customize the Type field for Accounts? It appears this data point is pulled directly from the various bank connections and when overridden in the Accounts sheet, the new value isn’t respected when rows are inserted into the Balance History sheet.

I realize that in the standard Accounts sheet, the Type field is actually pulling from Balance History, but I’m curious if there is anywhere to configure that value because the types are inconsistent / not what I want across institutions. Not a huge problem but figured I would ask if there was a native way to accomplish this before I go adding another custom field in a bunch of places. Thanks!

@miles.liscum, do you mean “class” (asset/liability) when you say Type?

Type, as referenced in Balance History (loan, credit card, checking), isn’t really used anywhere in any of our reports and it’s configurable on the Accounts sheet. So there isn’t a way to customize it except manually for each entry.

Heather

@heather wow I really should pay more attention to my notification on here, sorry! I am referring to the Type field on the Balance History tab as I was trying to use that for some reporting (without combining to the Accounts tab).

For example I have a manual account set up for my Apple Card which I set the type to Credit Card (canned set of options when creating through “add manual account”). When I manually update the balance for this account, the row inserted into Balance History inherits the value ‘Credit Card’ into the Type field. However, some other accounts which are connected (not manual), such as my Discover Credit Card show up in Balance History with various other values (‘CREDIT’ in the case of discover).

What I was trying to figure out was if there was a way to override the Type on connected accounts somehow such that new rows in Balance History respected the override - Updating it in the Accounts tab doesn’t do the trick. Obviously I can clean the Balance History data manually, but was just curious if there was a way to get the app to set it as desired.

For context, I should add that I do almost all of my reporting using Google Data Studio which is the primary driver for trying not to combine with the Accounts data. There are (at least) two workarounds that I’m familiar as noted below, but each has it’s own issues:

1. Add an arrayformula vlookup to Balance History to grab the field - this works and I use it quite often but can create performance issues, especially on larger sheets like Balance History
  2. Use the “blend data” (effectively a JOIN with limitations) feature in Data Studio to join the two “datasets” but I’ve found these are a bit fragile and the maintenance is more trouble than it’s worth

IIRC, that field is from the Accounts sheet, Column M, I don’t believe you can overwrite that. If I remember from way back when, that comes from when you added the account. I’m not sure if you can edit an automatic account once it’s there.

Hi @miles.liscum,

The values for the automated accounts are coming from our data provider and it sounds like there are some slight differences in what we offer in the manual account input via the Tiller Money Feeds add-on (e.g. automated feeds shows credit card type as “CREDIT” but the add-on has “Credit Card” as the type)

There isn’t a way to override the type anywhere.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Got it, thanks for clarifying!