Tiller Foundations Webinar

Details & Replay

If you have a question that’s not included in the Most Common Questions section below [use the browser search CTRL+F to search for keywords] you can ask it here and a community member will reply soon.

Latest webinar

Click here to access the recording.

Tips for Optimizing your Tiller spreadsheets for 2024

Click to access the resources & replay of this webinar.

Common questions from Q&A

The common Q&A questions (which you can access using the link to the right) offer answers to the most common questions we get in the Weekly Foundations webinar. We recommend using the browser search feature CTRL+F to find a specific question.

If you asked a question during the session that you attended that’s not listed here, re-watch the recording for the answer or reach out here in the community via Get Help > Ask Anything to get resources for the answer.

Essentials

1. Tiller Foundations Guide
    Our go to getting started guide and self paced user manual for using Tiller.

2. Budgeting with the Tiller Foundation Template
    More in depth info on budgeting with the Foundation template including how to set the start of your 12 month fiscal year.

3. Getting started with AutoCat for Google Sheets
    Guide to using AutoCat in Google Sheets to help you automatically categorize transactions.
    Getting started with AutoCat for Microsoft Excel
    Guide to using AutoCat in Microsoft Excel to help you automatically categorize transactions.

4. Using the Tiller Community Solutions add-on
    Guide to installing and using the Tiller Community Solutions add-on to go beyond budgeting in the Foundation template.

5. Should I use Tiller for Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel Guide that details more of the differences between gSheets and MS Excel.

6. How to manually import your bank data Guidance on how to manually import bank data if your institution is unsupported or you want to add more historical data.

7. Transitioning from Mint to Tiller Step by step guide for getting your Mint data into Tiller.

How to

Remember to visit the Tiller Console (https://my.tillerhq.com) to refresh institutions and then fill your sheet with the latest data.

See Tiller Access and Multiple Google Accounts to learn more about setting up a Google Chrome browser profile for Tiller

Use (and edit) the Transactions sheet

Keep your sheet current with data

Getting started FAQs

Splitting transactions across multiple categories

Understanding Transfers

How to use Tiller to organize for tax time

Common Q&A questions

These are the most common Q&A questions we get, not a comprehensive list of all questions from every session. We recommend using the browser search feature CTRL+F to find a specific question.

If you asked a question during the session that you attended that’s not listed here, re-watch the recording for the answer or reach out here in the community via Get Help > Ask Anything to get resources for the answer or reach out via the chat tool in the lower right corner of the Console at https://sheets.tillerhq.com

How can I easily share this with my spouse, partner, or other person who needs access?
Google Sheets makes this easy! Read all about sharing and permissions here and best practices when you share expenses here.

How do I enter cash transactions?
Read more on the help center here

I get daily emails about new transactions and balances; but sheet didn’t update. Do I need to manually use add ins to update google sheets?
More than likely yes. We brought the transactions in after the Auto Update process ran, or you didn’t have the Auto Update setting turned on.

Can you/how can you upload/covert old bank statements in .pdf to use in tiller?
Not a great way to convert from PDF. You can try copy/paste into a blank Google Sheet and then reformat using this guide.

How often will the transactions update? I saw transactions on the bank page but couldn’t get them to pull in this morning until this afternoon.
Usually this is about once a day, but you may need to visit the Tiller Console to refresh your accounts and then click “update sheets” in the Tiller Money Feeds add-on.

Should we start a new sheet for each year for tax purposes?
No need to start a new sheet. The data will accumulate. Check out our resources on organizing for tax time here.

How do I enter once a year expense for budget purposes?
You can enter budget amounts for any month during the year on the Categories sheet and then just change the subsequent month to $0 to stop the cascade effect in the budgets.

Can I budget a rolling year, or is the yearly budget based on the calendar year?
Yes, you can start your budget start month to whatever month you like by enter the first date of the month in cell E1 on the Categories sheet. More info on that here.

Where do we input investments, mutual funds, etc?
If referring to categorizing, you can read existing topic here or start a new one under Discussion > Net Worth.

Can you talk briefly about rollover? ie, if I underspend in a category can it roll forward to the next month?
The Foundation template does not support accruing left over category amounts out of the box, but you can add the Savings Budget dashboard from Tiller Money Labs to experiment with this feature in your Foundation template. Learn more about rollover features available from Tiller Labs here.

Add-on for snowball debt reduction?
You can use the Debt Progress sheet from Tiller Labs. Read more here.

Can I have a second separate sheet with a separate set of accounts?
Yes. Just connect the accounts in the Account Summary on the Tiller Console and then create a separate sheet for those accounts. You can create up to 5 accounts on the Tiller Console.

Is there a way to create 1 sheet per account?
There is a 5 sheet limit so this is not recommended. If you just want to review transactions per account, recommend the Account Filter sheet from Tiller Labs add-on.

Are there options to change the dashboard layout?
Don’t recommend changing dashboard layout from pre-made dashboards, but you can browse and insert other dashboard options via the Tiller Labs add-on.

I can think of a lot of categories, but what is the best way to think of Groups for those categories?
Good discussion on this here.

When starting is there any way to start importing from an earlier date than the default? My bank has many more transactions online than were actually imported.
You can manually add data to make up what we couldn’t pull in using these steps or pull from previous tools using the Tiller Labs add-on. More on that here.

Can we filter transactions based on a category?
Yes, more on filtering here.

What is the best way to include a credit card payment in your budget? I.e. say I want to budget $1000 each month to credit card payment. How would I get it to not 0 net sum?
Budgeting for debt payoff workflows here

how to quickly categorize when just beginning-there are so many transactions
Sort by the description column and then use the quick fill square. Documented here or use AutoCat or just don’t worry about doing all of them. Just do last month up to today.

Can I pay monthly?
Tiller Money only offers an annual subscription payment option right now.

How could I separate business and personal expenses? I’d basically like 3 levels of category i.e. Business Expenses > Web Services > EXPENSE.

Set up a group for Business on the Categories sheet and list out business expenses under it. Recommend using a separate account/card for business transactions and no co-mingle business/personal in same accounts. You can also set up a separate sheet just for business financial tracking and only link those accounts to it. You can link up to 5 spreadsheets and feed data using the Tiller Money Feeds add-on.

Could you show us how to use AutoCat effectively?

Best resource on AutoCat is here.

I’m particularly tracking mileage expenses related to my contract work, along with some other costs, for tax purposes. There are some solutions out there to track. But, not sure which ones would most smoothly integrate with Tiller.

Any mileage tracking tool that allows you to export a CSV file will work fine with Tiller, but you’ll need to manually copy/paste the data from the export into your Tiller spreadsheet if you want to see all that data together. We don’t have any direct integrations with mileage apps. If you earn all your income from freelance/contract work and filing single, recommend checking out the Quarterly Estimated Tax sheet which allows you to input expected annual mileage to help calculate your quarterly estimated tax payments.

Can I change the name of the sheet “Tiller Foundation Template” without breaking it?

Yes, just rename the sheet in the upper left and after a few refresh cycles the sheet name change will reflect on the Tiller Console.

In the yearly budget, how can you view YTD budgeting and spending?
The Foundation template doesn’t have the YTD sheet out of the box, but you can add one via the Tiller Labs add-on. Community docs here.

What if I would like to sort by another column, rather than have it alphabetical (in Category Tracker)

Category Tracker is a Tiller Labs solution. There isn’t a way to sort the list by another column, it’s designed to display alphabetically.

What are your favorite solutions for tracking categories and groups?
Monthly Analysis sheet or a Monthly Pivot table by Group.

Are we able to remove a sheet from the workbook? Including those you add from Tiller Lab?
Yes, just right click the tab and choose “Delete” more on this topic here

I liked your quick demo of alphabetizing the category list. Any more knowledge to impart on data filtering/filter views? Or is this a general Google Sheets skill to learn?
Filtering and sorting basics are here

Transactions tab: Purpose of Column A?
No purpose other than a spot to put our logo in the Transactions sheet. You can delete or hide this column or just use it for whatever you like.

Is there a timeline on when Apple Card from Goldman will be addable? Seems to be the same problem on every service that links to credit card accounts
Apple card support is currently in beta with our data provider. You can try to get it connected and pulling your data, but until it’s out of beta we don’t support working with our data provider to get it to work. In the mean time, use the CSV importer workflow from Tiller Money Labs.

Talk briefly about how to set up transfers
A transfer category is typically used for money flowing between accounts when both accounts are connected. A good example is a credit card payment. More on transfer here.

Is there a way to create sub-categories?
You can use the Group/Category schema in the same way. More on that here.

What can I do about duplicate transactions?
Here is our guide on duplicates. You can also try the Manage Duplicates workflow from Tiller Labs.

Is it possible to split transactions across multiple categories?
Yes, via the Tiller Labs add-on. More here.

I like to reconcile paper receipts with the transactions from my bank, to more easily find transactions that I don’t recognize. Is this possible? Can you walk through statement reconciliation as well?
You can use the Statements sheet from Tiller Labs to reconcile transactions against bank statements.

Is there a way to export an excel sheet to google docs/vice versa?
These two platforms don’t interpret formulas in the same way so it’s not a seamless process to use both. Best to pick one or the other.

I would prefer not to change the transactions to make sure I don’t break the link (in the Foundation Template). What is the recommended way to create custom reports? For example, what if I wanted to see all of the transactions in a certain category last month?
It’s fine to edit the Transactions sheet as long as you don’t change the pre-populated headers in row 1 or rename the sheet. Otherwise, editing is fine and referencing this sheet is fine without breaking the feed. More here.

As we get close to the end of the year, what is the proper procedure for adding additional months to the budget tab?
You can read more about setting up the Foundation Template for multi-year budgeting here.

Can I unlink accounts any time and will the data be removed or am I stuck with it once added and linked?
You can unlink accounts to stop the feed of new data to the sheet, but you would need to manually remove the existing data using these steps.

How do you categorize savings?
Should you not have savings accounts linked because it will be thought of as income?
The best way to do it in the Foundation template is to have two categories for savings. A hidden Income category (marked as “Hide from reports” on Categories sheet) and a non-hidden expense category. This allows you to budget for savings but doesn’t create a surplus in your income in the budget. Otherwise you could just categorize as a Transfer. Neither of these methods will really “track” your savings. One possible (though un-tested) option is to use the Tags Report from Tiller Labs and tag the savings transactions to track the balance of savings.

In the balances tab, it seems like the ordering of the list changed each time I updated the overall sheet. But I’d like to tie balance levels to check against an investment sheet. Is there a good way to lock these down or name the balances or something?
I’m not sure how to do this, but there is a way! If this question gets posted/answered elsewhere in the community, I’ll update this with a URL.

Is there a solution for auto-categorizing based off of keywords or institution?
Yes! AutoCat. Learn more here

I switched the columns and messed up the template. After breaking the template do i need to start everything over again?
This depends on how badly it’s broken. Sometimes just fixing the column headers in the Transactions sheet can get the other sheets back in working order. You can also use the Tiller Labs add-on to restore broken sheets, but if the core sheet doesn’t have the columns set up correctly the references may not work.

How did you add “notes” column in the transaction tab? Im just scared Im going to break something by adding that column.
Just click a column letter and right click then choose insert 1 left or right to add a column. Adding columns won’t break anything. You’d want to title the column Note to take advantage of other features in the Tiller Labs add-on that leverage this column. Also, be aware that the column will adopt the formatting to the left/right depending on which option you choose. So if you have a column with a dropdown and you insert right of it, it will adopt the dropdown too.

In Quicken or similar, you can enter a paystub with all the deductions. Taxes, 401k, insurance, etc. It’s useful at end of year to compare against W-2s, investment accounts, etc. Is there a way to do that here?
There isn’t an automated way to do the split each month, but you can use the transaction splitter from Tiller Labs or you can manually add the splits using a “template”. Here is the existing discussion on that.

For people moving from Quicken or something similar, is best practice to build one spreadsheet to rule them all, or have more task specific sheets?
Best to have everything in one spreadsheet for the most part. Exceptions are for tracking net worth - you may want to put all these in a separate sheet and ignore the Transactions sheet or business tracking.

If you prepay for one year for a subscription. Is it possible to split that on a monthly basis?
You’d have to manually split the transaction across the rest of the months in the year.

Will you eventually build out the Excel Template to equal the Google sheets template?
We don’t have a timeline on when we might have parity between the Excel Money Tracker Template and the Google Sheets Foundation template at this time.

Do categories need to be assigned to the same merchants every month?
No you can assign whatever category you like in any month to a transaction.

Does it do update category for future transactions?
Not automatically. This is where AutoCat comes in handy.

When applying filters how can i disable warning messages that this was designed to not be modified?
When trying to turn on/off the filter in the Transactions sheet a warning message appears “Heads up” - this is a protected range on row one in the Transactions sheet to prevent the feed from being disrupted if you were to accidentally overwrite a column header. You can select row 1 and then open the Data menu at the top and choose > Protected Ranges and remove the protected range to prevent this warning.

Can you sort category list alphabetically?
Yes, you can sort by clicking the small triangle on the column letter and choose A>Z or you can turn the filter on in the Categories sheet and sort that way.

Does Tiller sync with Venmo?
Yes, our data provider supports Venmo. Personally, it works well for me.

Do you have examples if i have rental properties or other small business investments?
You can find a rental property tracker quickly* built by our founder here. If you have questions you can reply directly to that topic to ask. *Quickly means it’s experimental, not really tested and not supported by our email/chat support teams

I linked an investment account to this same sheet…but don’t see it…do I need to use a different google sheet for that?
May need you to reach out to support@tillerhq.com on this one. Not totally sure what’s going wrong there.

Is it possible to submit requests to connect to more banking options than are available? e.g. I use Koho and Wealth Simple which are fintech companies and I can’t connect those accounts yet.
Wealth Simple should work, but 2FA is not supported for the connection. Read more on that here. You can add other unsupported institutions to our unsupported list here - we do not submit requests for new sites at this time and focus our small team’s energy on troubleshooting connection issues with existing sites.

Can you customize name or rename accounts?
Yes, you can create an account nickname on the Tiller Console under Account Summary (click the pencil icon). The new name will only reflect for new transactions. More on renaming here.

Can you show how to create a report showing a selection of certain categories?
Install Tiller Labs and explore the options there. In the demo I showed the Category Tracker and the Monthly Analysis sheet.

How to set up home mortgage and split b/n principal, interest and escrows
The most advice I can offer is on how to do the [splits using the Tiller Labs add-on.](Docs: Transaction Splitter

On the console, my accounts refresh but the last report does not change on some accounts. Why?
Recommend reaching out to support@tillerhq.com and let us know the specifics here. We’re still refining the new Account Summary in the Tiller Console and the feedback is helpful.

Can I maintain google sheet and Excel sheet at the same time?
Yes, you can have both a Google Sheet and an Excel sheet connected to the Tiller Console at the same time, but they won’t share data and can’t be synced between them.

How would you group/budget for something like a student loan payment? would you group that as a transfer or an expense?
Recommend reviewing our Debt Progress sheet documentation here for how to budget for debt payoff and think about categories.

Any suggestions for banks that don’t have 2FA syncing issues? Capital One is the worst.
I personally don’t have any suggestions. Here is a topic on the question, but it’s specific to credit cards.

Is there a way to show incorporate mortgage paydown into networth?
Not 100% sure how to answer this one, would recommend asking here on the Community. If helpful you can add the mortgage using the manual balances option in the Tiller Money Feeds add-on.

Can we put the filter on row 1 of the Transaction page after bypassing the the warning?
Yes, after you bypass the warning the filter should show up on row 1.

How far can you pull data from previous years?
We can only pull data from the last 90 days for most institutions and accounts you can manually add data using one of the options in this guide.

Is there a drag n drop option to move categories around?
Yes, if you hover over the row number a small hand icon will appear. You can then click and drag the category row. Don’t drag above row 2 as that will break the dropdown.

In Tiller Labs, some solutions have a heart shape symbol near them? What does it indicate?
These are popular templates and ones that are more likely to have been more well vetted by customers, and revised as bugs or issues are found.

For manually added accounts, do the balances get updated if we manually add transactions ?
If you use Tiller Money Labs to add the manual transaction there is an option to have it also update the balance for a manual account.

How do you report using Groups?
The Monthly Analysis sheet gives a good month over month comparison of groups. Otherwise a simple pivot table with group as documented here will also work well.

However, on the account tab…I show the drop down, both credit cards but not the investment account. However on the money feeds on the right under linked accounts, I see all accounts including the investments.
Double check you have the check mark next to the account in the Tiller Money Feeds add-on under “Linked accounts.” If that doesn’t help reach out to support@tillerhq.com and we can help you get it figured out.

Do you have a favorite add on for investments…that show buys an sells, etc
No, I don’t track my investments that closely, but you can use this example sheet to track. We don’t have position history right now, but hope to in the future. Vote for that feature request here.

Can I run AutoCat on iOS or mobile devices?
There isn’t a way to access the Tiller Money Feeds add-on from the mobile Google Sheets app.

Is the long term plan to have all the same sheets, labs, etc. for the Excel worksheets?
We don’t have a long term plan at this time to build the Google Sheets capabilities into Excel.

I started my set up for excel. Is there a way to transfer my accounts over to google sheets?
You can copy/paste the information from Excel into Google Sheets using these steps as a guide.

Is there a way to automatically import amazon charge break downs or is that a manual process only with a csv file?
You can use the CSV importer in the Tiller Labs add-on.

Do you start new spreadsheet every year as new or you manage multiple years on the same one? What is your recommendation?
With the Foundation Template you can have multiple years in your budget, but after a few years it might be a good idea for performance to archive the sheet and clear the older data.

Does that CSV tool pull automatically from the folder it’s pointed to?
No, you would need to manually upload the CSV to the add-on each time.

How can I manage my investments (401k, IRA) differently from my expenses?
Recommend using a transfer category or hidden categories if you don’t want to see them in your cash flow.

Which company is your data provider that you mentioned?
We use Yodlee, the trusted industry leader in banking data aggregation.

Are the bank links that I already set up for Excel available for Google Sheets or do I have to start relinking again?
You can link those same accounts to Google Sheets, yes.

I made the mistake of including data from Paypal and from my bank. I think that produced 2 entries for each Paypal transaction. I wound up unlinking Paypal. Am I thinking about this correctly? Thanks
PayPal data feeds are definitely confusing at times. Best to reach out to our support team directly to see if it’s expected behavior or an issue with your specific accounts.

How could I pull data for 2019 and keep it separate from 2020?
You could archive your sheet to keep the 2019 data and just remove the 2019 data from the live feeding sheet and only keep the 2020 data.

How should we categorize a bill payment so that it doesn’t cancel out the sale line item? (paying your credit card bill, for example)
Credit card payments are typically categorized as transfers, which you can read more about here.

Do the data feeds for Amazon purchases provide a way to identify the purchases for categorization?
The direct feeds from Amazon purchases don’t give line item detail, but the CSV Importer in Tiller Labs offers a way to import Amazon purchase history and have it detailed by line item for more granular categorization.

Is there a referral program? I know a lot of people who would love Tiller!
We don’t have one at this time, but hope to have one in the future. Feel free to reach out to our support team and let us know you’re interested and we’ll tag you for updates.

How are transfers reconciled in the monthly workflow?
There is no automated reconcile, it’s really up to you to categorize them as transfers so they net to $0.

Where is that button to auto update?
In the Tiller Money Feeds add-on the Auto Update toggle allows you to have your sheet automatically updated for accounts where we can automatically pull the data from your bank. This will vary by institution and security settings you have or are expected to have turned on at the bank.

Hi, Do I duplicate the tab so two people can have their own separate spreadsheet?
Recommend sharing the sheet so someone else can review the sheet that’s feeding with data or if you could create and link a separate sheet and only connect those accounts if you don’t want the data mixed together and you’re not sharing expenses.

How can I track bills?
Tiller Money Labs has a bill tracker for bills you pay manually. Learn more here.

IF I wanted to set a goal to save for a large purchase I wanted to make, is there a view that will help me with planning and tracking the goal.
In the Foundation template the best way to do this is to also use the Tags Report from Tiller Labs and then just tag the savings transactions with a specific goal tag (e.g. Florida vacation) and then you can see the total for the goal on the Tags report. There isn’t an out of the box savings goal option in the Foundation template.

I’m new to Tiller. I can’t seem to get my Vanguard account to import. How do I get Vanguard to feed?
Recommend reaching out to our support team via the chat to get help.

I was getting a little confused on how I should categorize and group my transactions effectively. Do you have some tips on how I should do so?
We offer the example categories as a simple starting point. Here is a great discussion on Categories too.

I don’t see the Insights tab on my Automated-Feeds workbook. Do I need to use the Google sheets instead of the Excel workbook? (I do have a MS365 subscription)
Yes, you do need to use the Google Sheets Foundation template to get the Insights sheet.

What limits how much data you can download (2 months vs ytd, for example). Can that be changed?
This is limited by our data provider and the institutions.

Can you use autocat to categorize transactions by date of the transaction? (categorize first 2 weeks of March as “vacation”, for example)
There isn’t a way to use AutoCat to categorized based on date range at this time.

Do you have best practice recommendations if converting from Quicken?
You can read more about transitioning from Quicken here.

can we have MFA turned off?
This varies by institution and not something we control.

“linking accounts- Is it better to link all your financial accounts?- like if you have multiple checking and savings, plus Credit cards, IRA, etc…
How does it effect your budget? like if money is in savings, is it going to automatically put it as income?”

It depends on whether you want to see everything in one sheet or multiple sheets. You can hide categories you don’t want to affect your budget like investment income.

so to refresh with accounts with mfa - 2 steps? refresh process on console than go to spreadsheet and hit “update sheets”?
Yes. This is the best experience with MFA enabled accounts.

if your credit card payment has a negative and a positive then they will net to $0 and you will never see the expense…right? So i have to leave the positive as a transfer (hidden) and then credit card payment to see it deduct…is this the right way to do it?
If you’re trying to budget for debt payoff learn more here.

How can i Get to category tracker tab on my sheet
You can install it via the Tiller Labs add-on.

Can you demonstrate assets? Like house, vehicles, stocks, etc…
Add these accounts under Manual Balances in the Tiller Money Feeds add-on. Steps are here.

Is there a way to monitor cash flow forecasting? Example: tracking upcoming balances when bills are scheduled to ‘hit’ during the month.
Recommend checking out the Projected Balances sheet from Tiller Labs.

What’s the best way to track multiple accounts to keep transactions separate? (I.e. Business checking, personal checking, credit cards) Separate workbooks, or use one of the Tiller tools?
Best to not co-mingle business and personal on the same cards. Can use a category scheme to keep them separate in the same sheet or just have a separate sheet for business.

Are there any resources for freelancer business reports?
Yes, you can explore the options in the Tiller Labs add-on. Business Dashboard and Estimated Quarterly Tax sheet are useful options.

Are there also community supported Tiller Labs templates for Excel?
Not at this time, no.

Deleting a manual account and replacing with a live feed account…please demonstrate steps in various sheets needed
Reference this guide for help.

How do I get my Vanguard IRA assets to be included in my Net Worth display?
You can connect more accounts on the console under the Account Summary area and then link those accounts to your sheet.

Will you be addressing how to incorporate annual-based expenses (i.e. Real Estate Taxes, Insurance, etc.)?
The foundation template doesn’t support rollovers for category savings, but you can update the budget amount for an individual month as needed.

I started my budget in April and did not import Jan-March. I would like to get a year view. To do that I need to put a ‘starting balance” of money that is available that was already in Checking and savings. How do I do that?
There isn’t a way to add starting balance to the Foundation template for budgets.

How many years can I configure in a single sheet? IS it only current year?
The Foundation template for Google Sheets does support multi-year budgeting. Learn how to set that up here.

When I add new account…I have to go to “Accounts Sheet” to select the right Class override and group in order for the “Balances” and “Net Worth” sheets to look correct…right?
You should only need to do this if the asset/liability information isn’t pulling in automatically or it’s incorrect. More on that here.

How do you store our bank account username and password? IS it safe to share it with Tiller?
Our data provider, Yodlee, stores your bank account credentials, we don’t see nor store that information. Yodlee is the trusted industry leader in banking data aggregation, so it is safe.

How can I enter recurring transactions, such as a monthly mortgage payment?
If you want to see those as pending transactions you can add them using the Tiller Labs add-on so they’ll be reconciled when they’re brought in automatically later. Documentation and support for that here.

Is there a reason why all my categories are not populating when I try to categorize transactions?
Something has probably gone wrong with the data validation (drop down menu) on the Category column in the Transactions sheet. Review this help article to fix it.

Is there any way to see updated balance in a checking account after taking into checks that I’ve written but that have not cleared?
You could use the manual transaction add feature from Tiller Labs and then install the Business Dashboard for the “Tiller” balance. Otherwise you could use the Projected Balances sheet from Tiller Labs.

Can I re-run (anytime manually?) the “Auto Cat” to reassign my categories (i.e. clean them up)?
Yes, you can manually run AutoCat from the sidebar and if you choose the “All transactions” option from the Run AutoCat rules dropdown in the sidebar it will overwrite existing categorizations.

When you are short on income for a month and need to pull money from savings into checking how do you do that?
You could categorize that inflow as income. A separate “savings income” category is fine. If you see the outflow from savings in the Transactions sheet too you can just categorize that as a transfer.

How do i get to show the over flow of money from one year to other year?
The Foundation template doesn’t support surplus/deficit tracking for categories. You can try the savings budgeting template, which you can add on top of your Foundation template.

if i want a template (sheet) that a community member created how do I put it into my Template? You mentioned URL .
You’d want to check in with the builder on how to add their template/sheets.

We set accounts up but wanted to rename the accounts for ease of tracking (we are tracking accounts jointly so have two checking and savings and other credit cards that are similarly named) - we renamed the accounts through the tiller website, but the names have not updated in the spreadsheet, how do we get this to happen?
You will need to refresh the accounts and sheet (update sheets in sidebar) to see new names, but then need to manually correct past entries. More on that here.

Is there a limit on number of accounts?
No, there is no limit to the number of accounts you can connect to Tiller Money at this time.

Can you reconcile the transactions to your bank statement with Tiller or is that not really necessary?
Check out the Statements sheet from Tiller Labs.

Can we create our own dashboard with different metrics apart from Insight dashboard?
Yes! Absolutely! Here is our Builder’s Reference with some tips. Consider sharing your solution on the Tiller Money Community here.

How to run AutoCAT automatically ?
Turn on the Auto Run on Update feature in the AutoCat sidebar.

Can I tag my transaction? Category restrict a transaction to be part of single category. Tags can be multiple . Is this possible?
Yes, add the Tags Report to your sheet.

My Insights tab (and a few others in foundation template) are no longer working on rollup values – assets liabilities net worth all show 0 – looks like the account reference is broken. is there anyway to troubleshoot or fix this or should i just save my transaction csv and start over
You may want to restore the sheets using the Tiller Labs add-on. If that doesn’t work try restoring the Accounts sheet (archive existing if you’ve customized groups or classes) and then restore Insights, Balances, anything that is pulling in account balance data - these sheets are “downstream” of Accounts.

I saw that on the main TillerHQ account page, your sheets say “Heather’s Foundation Template” etc. How do we rename the sheets on that account page?
Just edit the name in the upper right corner of the Google Sheet and it should reflect on the console after a refresh.

how do you link 2 different worksheets?
Start in a fresh Foundation template and run the Tiller Money Feeds add-on to link a second sheet or run the Tiller Money Feeds add-on in a blank Google Sheet.

Does Tiller have an instructional PDF manual?
We do not offer an instructional PDF manual at this time. You can access our getting started guides on the Help Center at https://help.tillerhq.com/

Can we add a tags column to the “Account Filter” tab?
I’m not aware of a way to do this, but you could inquire how this might be possible by asking in response to the documentation topic for this Tiller Labs sheet.

Will you show how Tiller may help me create Profit and Loss statements?
You can generate a P&L report using the Tiller Labs add-on. More here.

Why don’t my income categories show up inside transactions?
This is likely due to the data validation rule on that column getting misconfigured. More on how to fix that here.

I am moving from Quicken and like what I see in Tiller. However, I feel like I am not using it right. Where I go to find how the different ways that different people use Tiller so I can find the best way to use Tiller for me?
Recommend searching and posting here in the Tiller Money Community on best practices when transitioning from Quicken. We have this guide for how to export data from Quicken and get it into your Tiller sheet if your version supports exporting a CSV.

What happens when the account we are trying to add does not work or provides an error message.
Review our help article on dealing with errors here and if that doesn’t help and it’s still not resolved after a few days reach out to our support team.

Another question I have is how should we categorize mutiple sources of income? Examples would be pay cheques, E-transfers, Deposits. E-transfers are confusing the heck out of me. lol
This may be a matter of preference, but you could create other income categories for each type if you want to track each specific type.

is a cash withdrawal considered a transfer?
It depends on whether you need to split the withdrawal into multiple categories. More on our help center here.

How can I easily sort transactions by Description (ie, only see transactions containing “Capital One”)?
Check out more on filtering and sorting here.

can I import transactions from tiller into quickbooks ? and vice versa?
We don’t have an automated way to import/export with Quickbooks.

can tiller be used to list assets , like house… investment accounts (feeds) , for wealth management purposes? does tiller have a tax feature projection and what if scenarios?
You can add assets using the manual balance tool in the Tiller Money Feeds add-on, but there isn’t a tax projection feature with what if scenarios.

this seems to work well for personal budgeting but for a small business, it is missing a lot or maybe there are different templates available. ???
Recommend checking out the Small Business Comprehensive Guide here

How do people generally track their paycheck deductions, including taxes, 401k contributions, etc.? In the Transactions sheet it will only show my net pay.
If you want to track these deductions you can add rows manually to the Transactions sheet each month. There are already a couple discussions here on the community about this here and here.

Can you talk about handling cash / manual transactions
More on tracking cash is available on our help center here and you can learn more about entering manual transactions with the Tiller Labs add-on here

Is there an easy way to see how much you’re saving each month?
The easiest way is to look at “This month’s cash flow to date” in the upper left of the Monthly Budget sheet in the Foundation template. Until you’ve had income for the month this value may be negative, but once you’ve categorized a paycheck and at the end of each month, it’s a good indication of how much you’ve saved that month.

Can you show again how to access the tiller lab add on?
From the add-ons menu in your Google Sheet choose “Get Add-ons” then search for Tiller Labs.

Is there a Group tracker that’s like the Category tracker?
We don’t have a group tracker like the category tracker at this time, but a simple pivot table by group is helpful.

Is there any support for currencies other than USD?
We’re only supporting USD at this time.

Is there any way to see transactions within the account (like Quicken or Countabout)?
The Account Filter template via the Tiller Labs add-on will allow you to view transactions for a single account. It’s a view only though so you’ll still need to categorize transactions on the Transactions sheet for each account. You might also find the Statements sheet useful.

How do I work with shared accounts with my wife? How do I avoid double counting transactions? Tips for budgeting for shared expenses?
Make sure you’re only linking one instance of the shared account to your Google Sheet to prevent duplicates. You can also read about how we recommend setting things up when you share expenses on our help center here.

Can you speak about data retention of your transactions for prior years. How many years of data is saved and can you run reports on that historical data?
There is no limit to the number of years of data we will collect and store for your accounts in our databases at this time. Yes, there are a number of Labs tools and solutions that offer historical analysis.

Can you have multiple Tiller sheets? And why might you want to do that?
Yes, you can have up to five spreadsheets linked to your Tiller Console. You might want one for your personal vs business spending. Or a shared sheet with your partner or spouse for shared expenses and a separate one for your personal finances.

I have gotten #REF error messages. What causes those and how can I fix those?
Usually these happen because you’ve manually entered data into a cell that’s being populated by a formula. Check the REF error and see if it references a specific cell like D17 and then just clear the data out of that cell and it should resolve.

What is suggested in regards to backing up your worksheet periodically…how do you do and how often?
Google Sheets’ version history does a great job of this for you automatically. Read more on that here.

I get updates in email that accurately reflect balances and number of new transactions. I click on the “access you Tiller Sheets here” and the sheet I open is 7 days old.
You likely just need to turn on the Auto Update feature in the Tiller Money Feeds add-on under Settings or click “update sheets”

Is it possible to combine data from multiple tiller accounts? I’m hoping to combine yearly budgets with my partner.
You can connect all your accounts to the same Tiller account and then create up to 5 sheets linked to the Tiller Console. If you’re wary of sharing credentials for an existing account, create a new shared Google Account that you are comfortable sharing credentials just for Tiller Money.

Do you have any favorite resources for thinking about categories, or spending more theoretically? Background: I’ve been nerding out asking myself questions like “why do I spend money on Travel?”
We recommend starting out simple. Less is more. There is a great thread on the community here.

How do you add a manual account? And what do you need to do to update the balance/value of it occasionally?
Steps for adding and tracking manual accounts using the Tiller Money Feeds add-on are here.

How do you create different “groups” on the “Balances” tab? Everything says “ungrouped” asset or liability. I’d like to create groups like “Student Loans,” “Credit Cards”, etc. if possible.
You can modify this on the Accounts sheet. More on that here.

How does one sign into the tiller account when you want to work on the document? exactly how do I access the account in the future?
Sheets that are linked to the Tiller Console for data feeds can always be found in your Google Drive at https://drive.google.com when you sign in to the same account you used to subscribe to Tiller Money. Otherwise visit https://sheets.tillerhq.com/auth/google to log in and access sheets and refresh accounts. If you’re not sure which Google account you used to sign up check your email for a daily update email from Tiller Support with balances and the latest transactions. You can also sign in via the Login button at the top of our website www.tillerhq.com

I’m tempted to create a lot of my own functions that pull from / manipulate the transaction data, but I’m worried about breaking things. Are there specific things I should be careful about? If I end up breaking something, would support be willing to help troubleshoot?
You can defintely create your own custom reports, dashboards and more with Tiller Money spreadsheets. Consider sharing here in the community in the Show & Tell category. Be careful not to edit the pre-populated headers in the Transactions sheet or change the tab name from Transactions/Balance History. Otherwise, you can edit. More on that here.

Once a transaction has been downloaded, if I modify the date or description, will it ever get overwritten by an update? Or does the update only pull in new transactions and not impact ones that have already been downloaded?
Your edits to the transaction will not get overwritten in a subsequent update to the same sheet. The edits you make are unique to the sheet meaning if you created a new sheet all the original data would be pulled in to the new sheet.

Can Tiller Support troubleshoot account linking problems? I have a few institutions that error out when trying to connect them.
Yes, please reach out to our support team about account linking issues.

Does applying “filters” to the spreadsheet risk breaking any of the automations or equations in the spreadsheet.
No, you can apply whatever filters to the Transactions sheet that you want and it does not break the other formulas.

Once we finish a year, how do we start the next year’s data and if I want to access data from this year (ie, I want to see the past 90 days of Feb 21, Jan21 , Dec20, how do we do that?
The data will continue to accumulate as time passes so there is nothing you need to do at the year start as far as data access. If you want to use the Foundation template for multi-year budgeting, I’d recommend reviewing this guide.

Do we fill in the “categorized date” on the Transactions sheet, or does it do it automatically?
AutoCat fills in the categorized date so no need to fill that in. Just a reference so you know what transactions AutoCat categorized.

If you add a new account for auto feed, is there anyway to prevent it from automatically grabbing the last 90 days of history if you have been manually adding these transactions in the past?
There isn’t a way to choose how much historical data we pull in on the first import at this time.

What if the values in the accounts aren’t accurate? I set up on the weekend and several of my accounts were not reflecting the correct amounts. Thanks!
Double check that your accounts have recently refreshed by visiting the console and reviewing the Account Summary at https://sheets.tillerhq.com/auth/google and then make sure you update your sheet in the sidebar.

Sorry how do I access the Tiller community so i can look at the boards and ask questions?
Community is at https://community.tillerhq.com and you can also always access in the footer of our main website, www.tillerhq.com

How do you link a current google sheets budget to this foundations template?
Here is our guide on using your own template with the Tiller Money Feeds add-on, but there isn’t a way to really merge the Foundation template into an existing budget sheet.

Is there any plan to have the account refresh information/buttons from sheets.tillerhq.com built into the Tiller Money Feeds bar? So that you only need to be in one window if your bank requires 2FA?
Yes, we launched that earlier this year. Read the announcement here.

When you add a cash transaction manually, do you have to re-sort the entire Transactions sheet by the Date column if you insert a series of manual transactions at the top with various dates?
If you want to immediately see the transactions ordered correctly, yes. Otherwise, and if you have the Auto Update setting turned on in the Tiller Money Feeds add-on, the next update will also sort the sheet by default.

If I want to reduce the imported dates = start May 1
Just remove all line items prior to May 1 in your sheet manually by clearing or deleting rows.

sorry last question where is the “console”? which button do I click to see the console?
You can access the Tiller Console at https://sheets.tillerhq.com/auth/google directly or by clicking the login button at the top of the main Tiller Money website at www.tillerhq.com

I see the categories tab is set up for 2020, how do we update it for next year?
Reference our guide for multi-year budgeting in the Foundation template here.

Is there a way to compare year over year spend?
Try out the Comparisons sheet from the Labs add-on.

My total liabilities has my credit card account counted twice so it’s doubled. I do not have the account on there twice. How would I fix this?
There could be a number of reasons why it’s showing like this. Best option is to reach out to support@tillerhq.com.

Could you compare several months?
Best option for this is the Monthly Analysis sheet from Labs.

Is there a way to import data from Quicken?
We don’t have an automated way to bring in Quicken data, but you can follow the steps in this guide.

What is best practice for culling out tax-related items to analyze with my tax preparer at tax time?
Our guide for tax time prep is here.

How to we import and analyze investment accounts?
Tiller Money can automate balance and transaction data from many investment institutions. We don’t offer position history at this time, but hope to in the future. Vote for this feature request to let us know that’s important to you.

What do you recommend to label a credit card payment in groups?
It depends on your goals around the credit card. Is it paying off a high balance or just the current balance that you always pay off in full each month. Review our Debt Progress sheet guide for information about how to think about paying off debt with Tiller Money.

how does the sheet know which month to count income for? what if i receive income long after the month it should be counted as?
This is based on the Date column. If you need to see a transaction count in a different month, just change the date in the sheet.

For some reason my mortgage account couldn’t be added, why?
Reach out to our support team using the chat in the lower right of the Console at https://sheets.tillerhq.com/auth/google

I use Robinhood money management. When I added my Robinhood account it only registered my investment balance. How would I troubleshoot this?
Reach out to our support team using the chat in the lower right of the Console at https://sheets.tillerhq.com/auth/google

if i accidentally break a formula in one of the sheets, how do i get the original formula back?
Use the Restore option in the Labs add-on. More on that here.

What should I do with categories that really can’t be budgeted? For instance, something like “Misc. Shopping” that doesn’t really fit into any specific category.
You can just create a Misc category and categorize them that way. It’s really up to you. Maybe reach out on the community for advice.

Can “rules” be created to automatically rename the Description of a transaction (not the category)? I came over from Mint and really liked this feature.
Yes, you can add a Description column to the AutoCat sheet for overriding the description based on what it contains. More on that here.

My primary bank, USAA, uses 2FA. Does this mean that I should go into the console every day to refresh it “manually?”
Yes, that’s right. You’ll need to visit the Console each day to manually refresh it.

Any plans to add in the ability to track investment accounts? (e.g., Vanguard IRA, etc.)
You can already connect investment accounts for balances and some transactions where they’re supported. We don’t have support for position history/holdings yet.

How would you recommend categorizing transactions that are coming in and out under the same name– specifically, Venmo?
There is a great community topic on Venmo here.

Google Forms allows attachments automatically stored and linked in GDrive, which I have used to capture cash expenses and receipts (phone camera). The form will automatically add a link to the attachment in the associated GSheet. Does Tiller have a solution for capturing/linking receipts stored in GDrive?
You could add a column to the Transactions sheet for receipts.

can I switch columns places Category and Group in categories tab and not mess up formulas? I’d like to see my Group first and category second.
Yes, this is supported in the Foundation template. I’m not sure if it’s supported in other Labs solutions.

If I miss a day or 2 for refreshing my accounts that have 2FA, will the connection pull across the data from those days I missed OR will it only pull 1 update on the day I’m doing the refresh and I miss out on the previous days?
It will pull in the gap as long as you’re refreshing at least once every 30 days.

I like to keep track of historical budgets for reference. Is there an easy way to keep all of the old data in the same Google Sheet document? Or do I need to create an entire new document each year?
You can make a copy of the sheet to archive it and then wipe the past year’s data from your live updating sheet or set up your sheet for multi-year budgeting.

Can I change monthly budget to biweekly, that’s how my pay checks come in. I’d like to budget every check.
There isn’t a way to budget bi-weekly in the Foundation template. You can use the envelope budget tool for that. Learn more here.

Will it save your AutoCat categories from there on out?
Yes, AutoCat will continue to process any rules you build.

I’m having a hard time putting for example, Trader Joes all into one rule because each transaction has a number next to it so copying it only makes it apply to that one transaction vs all of Trader Joes purchases
Find the part of the description that’s consistent for all the transactions and use that part for the rule rather than the whole description.

How to change the description to make it nice and neat in the transaction history
Use a description override in the AutoCat rules to clean up transaction descriptions. Learn more on our help center here.

Are there plans to make this handy to use on the phone, if it doesn’t already exist (not sure)?
You can view budget dashboards and categorize transactions using the Google Sheets app for iOS and Android, but you won’t be able to run AutoCat or Update Sheets using the gSheets app.

I have several accounts at one bank but I only want to include one of those accounts in my Google sheets. How do I prevent all accounts from populating each time I refresh my data? Thanks!
You can unlink accounts from within the Tiller Money Feeds add-on under Linked Accounts. However, if you’ve already got data from those accounts in your sheet you’d need to manually remove it using these steps.

What’s the best way to track debt and automatically apply payments to debt and have balance decrease w/o manual effort?
You can learn more about our Debt Payoff solutions here.

Also, is there an add-on for filing tax returns?
This is not something we offer right now.

I’m coming from “AceMoney” (a Quicken alternative) where I’ve set up Categories and Sub-Categories for personal and expenses within multiple businesses. I’ve set up Groups (what I called “Categories” in Tiller and Categories (what I called "Sub-Categories). I’m getting a yellow warning that some sub-category names are duplicates.
Categories need to be unique so you could add a unique identifier for each business to each category to help you distinguish them if they need to have the same categories within each group.

is there a way to see track asset allocation to see stock v. bond v. real estate?
I’m not 100% sure on this one. We don’t offer Position History or Holdings Data right now so if you need that you should vote for that feature request.

Is there an add on for FIRE (financial independence, retire early) and calculate when you can retire?
We don’t yet have a FIRE template.

is there an add on for segregating biz expenses v. personal expenses for tax reporting purposes?
Check out our resources for organizing your information for tax time here.

if i use foundation template and set categories for say rental property expenses, or is it better to use a seperate rental property sheet (someone had made a template in community) and is that other sheet independent?
This is up to you and it depends on how complex your situation is and what you want to track. Since each category should be unique you can use a prefix on your categories if you have the same categories for each rental property and create a group for each property.

How did to freeze frame the monthly budget view?
Under the view menu you can freeze 1 row and then drag down the freeze line to where you want it.

Are there any other solutions you recommend using for freelancers?
Check out the Estimated Quarterly Tax sheet from the Labs add-on.

whats your recommended solution for duplicate transactions, such as when you pay a credit card and see that payment on the credit card account, but you also see the money leave your bank account.

You’ll likely want to use a Transfer category for these. Read more here.

also is there a place to set up a private loan to a friend - eg; i loan someone 10k to buy a car
You can add balances for non-automated accounts via the Tiller Money Feeds add-on under Manual Accounts. More here.

Are AutoCat and other Tiller add-ins available for Excel?
We do not currently have an add-on for Excel that has the AutoCat features or other features offered in the Tiller Money Labs add-on.

Can you use Tiller if you don’t have a gsuite account? I have gmail and the free gdocs stuff. I’m using TIller with Excel at the moment.
Yes, you can use Tiller Money with a free gmail account.

How would I set up a budget for a big purchase like a home or a car?
I would recommend searching the community for recommendations from other customers on this one. However, you can budget the amount you need to save each month on the Categories sheet in the Foundation template to help you save up or try the Savings Budget tool from Tiller Money Labs.

When do I use hide from reports in categories?
Anytime you want to hide the category from any reports or dashboards. I personally use this when I’m no longer using a category or won’t be using it for a while.

Can I transfer some of my available to a different category
There isn’t an automated way to do this, but you can just take the available amount and then add it to the budget for the next month and remove it from the budget for the previous month.

My Paycheck is deposited before the 1st of the month, is there an easy way to adjust this to show for the current month besides manually changing the deposit date?
If you know the exact amount you can use the Manually Add and Reconcile tools in Tiller Money Labs. Otherwise the easiest thing to do is just change the date.

On accounts that are non-specific that say for instance “Credit Card” but no account name, Can I manually change them on my Balances page? Same with my unknown mortgage account?
You can update the name of these accounts on the Console.

Is there a template that has a check list for bills maybe based on category/group? This would be for bills that need manually paid.
We don’t have anything out of the box for this, but you can try this experimental bill due date reminder workflow.

Can Investments be tracked on a sheet?
We don’t have position history or holdings data right now. I’d recommend voting on the feature request for this if that interests you. We can aggregate balance data from many investment institutions though if you just want to track your net worth. Finally, you can manually track it too. There is an example portfolio sheet that leverages =googlefinance here.

Advice on best way to handle transactions from a credit card I split with my partner? A user asked this question on the forum a while ago and I’m wondering if there is a better way to handle this than the workarounds that were suggested on the forum: Split Credit Card with Partner
The community thread is the best resource on this right now.

budget entry for water bill that is billed every other month, do I just add it all up and divide by 12 so there is an entry for each month?
This is really up to you. It depends on if you want to see a number in your budget each month to help you ensure you set aside the money or not.

How do I get an actual report by month. I would look like the Category budget
The Monthly Analysis sheet from Labs is the best option for this.

when I have a cc and it shows those transactions such as my payment from the bank and then the payment as a credit to the cc. how do i treat that? as an expense from bank and credit int to the card?. does this mess up the reporting? as far as the budget?
If you’re paying the statement balance in full each month just use a transfer type category. If you’re trying to pay off high credit card debt, review the Debt Progress guide and section on Success at Debt Payoff.

How do you handle money flowing from one account to another. A transfer from checking account to pay off a credit card bill, for example.
You can read more about Transfers here, which are usually used for credit card payments.

If you have broken your worksheet feeds is there a way to copy your transactions to a new unbroken worksheet?
You can use the Migration Helper from Tiller Money Labs to move data from the original sheet or you can use the Restore option from Tiller Money Labs to fix broken dashboards.

Is there an add-in available if using Tiller for Excel instead of Sheets? Any major differences to be aware of? Thx.
The main difference is that there are less features for Excel than for Google Sheets. We don’t offer a Labs add-on for Excel right now and there are less solution/tool options.

Has tiller figured out a way to categorize different amazon charges ie split them between books, household supplies, etc?
You can use the CSV Line Item Importer in the Tiller Money Labs add-on to upload your Amazon purchases and it will split them out so you can categorize them based on the actual purchase.

Does the balances substitute for an accounting balance sheet?
You can customize the Balances sheet to work more like an accounting balance sheet, but out of the box it isn’t really a Balance Sheet per se.

Does the cascading budget entry always cascasde? For example, let’s say I enter an amount in a future month
Yes they will always cascade unless you overwrite a future month with a manual value.

can I add my own columns to the Transactions sheet?
Yes, just be sure that you’re not overwriting the pre-populated column headers or change the name of the Transactions sheet.

Can a manual asset be converted to an tiller feeds account at a later date?
Yes, but you’d want to update the exsiting manual entries to use the automated Account ID populated by the Tiller Money Feeds add-on.

In auto cat I shop at BJs which is most often groceries, however sometimes it’s clothes. Is there a way to override the autocat for a specific purchase?
You can just manually change the category on the Transactions sheet.

What is the best way to track a loan account like a mortgage or car loan?
This really depends on your specific situation. If you want to track these for debt payoff I’d recommend the Debt Progress sheet. Otherwise you can just set budget amounts for the monthly payments and categorize them as if they’re expenses and categorize the other side of the transaction (if automated by Tiller Money) as a transfer.

Does auto cat disregard the additional text in the description?
Yes, AutoCat will find just the keyword you enter in any string of characters in the Description column.

In Tiller labs, if you accidently “adopt” a sheet that has the same name as a Tiller sheet (eg “Categories”) can you un-adopt it? I accidently adopted my categories sheet from a pre-existing google sheet budget
I’m not aware of a way to “unadopt” a sheet. I don’t think this will cause any harm with the Categories sheet though because the Categories sheet can’t be restored/updated via Labs. I’d recommend posting under Get Help > Workflows & Tools to ask about this.

was there an addon created to assist in formatting data being imported into my sheets? (date format/fonts)
The closest thing is the CSV Importer from Labs.

the google sheet message “You’re trying to edit part of this sheet that shouldn’t be changed accidentally. Edit anyway?” is scary… it even pops up when I change a column width… how can I know what is “safe” and won’t prevent my sheet from getting updated properly?
It’s okay to edit your Transactions sheet but leave the tab name and the pre-populated headers as is. Everything else is fair game.

Are the fields that we see by default in the transaction sheet all the available fields to pull in?
There are a few other supported columns for automated feeds you can read about here

Can you group categorize, meaning change the category for several entries at one time?
Yes, you can use AutoCat to help with this or you can use these steps as a guide.

Do you have any recommendations when you work for yourself and want to categorize business expenses and personal expenses.
Yes, you can create a separate spreadsheet for business and personal expenses. Just click “Create a spreadsheet” on the Console at https://sheets.tillerhq.com/auth/google to start in a new Foundation template or start from a blank Google Sheet in your Google Drive and run the Tiller Money Feeds add-on start up in it.

Hello, what is the recomendation to categorize 401K contribution? On the Transactions list.
If you want to budget for your 401K contribution you can create an expense Category for it. Then the inflow transaction (if you also have your 401k account connected) can be a transfer so it doesn’t affect your income.

I have accounts with different currencies, created a new column next to the dollar amts in the balance sheet where I can convert it to the latest rates, but the accounts shift when they’re updated. Is there any way that they dont rearrange based on “last updated”?
I’d recommend reaching out here in the community for a recommended workflow. Otherwise, if you’re comfortable editing advanced formulas, your best bet would be to modify the hidden area of the Accounts sheet to do this, as that’s where the Balances sheet is pulling from.

I use filters and custom sorting in my spreadsheet work. Aside from forms like Balances, Budget, are there any “tables” that will break things with custom sorting enabled?
We don’t recommend sorting any of the dashboard sheets, as those are visualizations. The other one to be careful sorting is the Accounts sheet, which is hidden by default. If you want to sort the Accounts list that’s configured there be sure to only add the filter to the visible columns to the left, not the entire sheet.

I have already set up my categories and when I tried to change them it deleted those categories from all of my older tranactions. How can I change the categories after Ive already been using them?

You can turn on the filter, sort by Category, and use the Quick Fill square to quickly fix the categories that are no longer valid.

Can we filter out certain transactions from a source but still keep aggregate data?
There isn’t a way to filter out certain types of transactions like credit card payments or rebalancing transactions for investments. Best recommendation is to have AutoCat categorize them as a transfer so they don’t show in your budget and you don’t have to deal with them.

Question about income on the budget: when payday happens at the end of the month, how is it best referenced in the budget to ensure that the entire month does not look like we’re overspending?
I’d recommend asking this question in the Tiller Money Community here.

If i change the account names in the console, what needs to happen to see the new names in the account tab ?
After changing to name on the Console the next update should reflect the new name. More on that here.

Does “reconcile” basically make sure you haven’t made duplicate entries?
In reference to the “flag for reconcile” in the Tiller Money Labs > Manual Transaction workflow, yes. Read more here.

How do hide transfers and auto payment from primary account to other accounts
The best way is to just categorize them using a Transfer type category and they will not show on the Budget dashboards in the Foundation template.

How should we handle credit card refunds and disputes ? Also what about investment tracking
Refunds may require a split but otherwise just categorize both sides as a transfer. Same with a dispute. We don’t have position history or holdings data available at this time but you can vote for that feature request here.

Is there a mobile app for tiller ?
At this time there is not a mobile app for Tiller Money, but you can access your sheets using the Google Sheets app for iPhone or Android.

Do you do webinars showing how to use Tiller when using Excel instead of Google?
Usually we focus on Google Sheets in the Foundation webinar, but the Excel start up is very similar. You can read more about getting started with Excel here.

Is there a way to show the transfers?
Options include filtering the Transactions sheet or you can use the Category Rollup report.

I have a feeds from PayPal to my Chase bank, should I hide those transfers back and forth
It really depends on your situation, but if it’s creating duplicates then yes you’d want to probably mark one side as a transfer.

are CC payments considered transfers automatically, I would historically classify these as bills
It depends on whether you’re paying off the balance in full each month or trying to pay off high card balances. If it’s just the balance in full, it’s a transfer, though this won’t be “automatically considered a transfer” you have to categorize it as such. If trying to pay off high credit card debt, check out our Debt Progress workflows here.

I used your video tutorial and added my past 2 years transactions successfully, will the budget go backwards
Check out our guide on using the foundation template for multi-year budgeting.

What is the easiest way to transition from one year to the next in the budget?
You can review our recommendations about how to think about the new year here.

2 Likes