🏆 Generated Recurring Expenses Workflow

As for the use of ‘grain’, I’m a Business Intelligence Developer. I deal with databases, cubes, reports in various systems, etc… The word is really just a synonym for ‘granularity’. Data granularity is a measure of the level of detail in a data structure. The “grain” of a report or a table is important in determining what analysis can be performed on the data.

Most of the Tiller foundation workflow is at the monthly grain. This was no good for my reporting purposes, as I wanted to see which expenses were due out of each of my paychecks. Since I was paid more frequently than monthly, I had the need to drill down to a more precise grain. The report I mentioned in my previous reply does that by drilling down to a custom sort of shifting granularity (grain). The granularity of the data is at the “Paycheck” level. If you get paid weekly, the grain of the data is weekly. If you’re paid bi-weekly, the grain is bi-weekly.

With the Generated Recurring Expenses workflow, this type of analysis on expected expenses is no longer cut off at a monthly grain. Projections can be analyzed at any grain you wish. For instance, you can build a report using this workflow that graphs your daily expected burndown of money for the entire year on the left, and another graph with an actual spend-to-date analysis on the right. To your point, this could be used to build out a more robust sample data set for developers. I know I’ve had troubles when building reports because the current sample data is a bit too random (such as paychecks are not entered in any reliable cadence). The use cases are wide, and I feel its value cannot be overstated.

On that note, are there any resources available that explain the reward system better than this snippet?

Prize level will be determined based on the quality, ambition, and value of your solution:

Tiller t-shirt
$25 gift card
1-year Tiller subscription extension
$100 gift card
$500
$1,000

I do appreciate the $25 gift card, but I’m just a little perplexed on how rewards are actually determined. For my first submission, I changed two formulas in an existing workflow and received a $150 reward, which I just don’t feel is even on the same level as this solution in terms of quality, ambition, or value.