Heads Up! Message when editing Transactions sheet

Every time I edit something I get a message that says “Heads Up! You are trying to edit part of the sheet that shouldn’t be changed” even when just filtering data in transactions. How do I get rid of this?

hi @alkrongold,

This is a protected range on row 1 in the Transactions, Balance History, and Categories sheet.

It’s intended to prevent you from making accidental edits to row 1, which can break the feeds (e.g. if you accidentally remove or overwrite the word “Description” in the Transactions sheet your transaction data will fill with blank Descriptions.

You can remove it via the Data menu > Protected Ranges and click the trash can icon next to the protected range in the sidebar that will appear.

Hope that helps!

Heather

2 Likes

Great, thank you! That worked.

The lack of flexibility there is a limitation (I would say “bug”) of GoogleSheets, not Tiller. Google ought to have the good sense to have a “Header Row” function for protected ranges filtering. If you do data/sort sheet, your header row is not included in the sort. The same should apply to filtering.

And a longer option for turning off the “Heads Up” would be helpful. :slightly_smiling_face:

Totally agree it’s probably a Google issue, but I wish Tiller could fix it. I don’t remember my old sheet having the same issue.

The above fix seems no longer to work. Google Sheets has probably changed menus. I don’t see an option called “protected ranges” on the Data dropdown.

I believe it is now called protected sheets and ranges

There is indeed an option called “protected sheets and ranges”, however when one clicks on that another dialog comes up that has only two selections to advance to the next step: “Cancel” and “Set Permissions.” If one clicks on “Set Permissions”, a message comes up: “You’re trying to edit part of this sheet that shouldn’t be changed accidentally. Edit anyway?”

If one clicks “OK” to that message, another dialog comes up called “Range editing permissions.” In this dialog one can choose either “Show a warning when editing this range” or “Restrict who can edit this range.” If the latter choice is made, one can choose “Only you” or “Custom” or “Copy from another cell.”

If one chooses “Custom” the “Choose who can edit” can be set to at least one email address.

However there is no option to remove protection so that users will not get the warning message about “Your’re trying to edit …” However, using the “Custom” choice seems to have worked to stop that warning message. I have to wait until tomorrow to see if it worked for my work partner.

This whole process seems a little obtuse to me. I was just trying to stop the warning message

Hi @finance if you click the little trash can icon in the upper right after selecting the protected range you can remove the rule and stop getting that pop up.