How can I delete a closed and unlinked account from the balances sheet?

I want to do this without deleting the transactions from the account. The balance is incorrect on the Balances sheet (transferred credit card balance) and whenever I try to change the balance or delete the row it creates errors.

It’s creating a false total debt balance and it is cluttering the Balances sheet.

1 Like

based on what most people will want to see, no. see my reply to your prior related post.

Forgive me but that didn’t really help and I don’t understand what you mean by “based on what most people will want to see, no”.

It can’t be impossible…

did you do what i mentioned in my other post? did that accomplish what you wanted to see?

the balances tab is output only, no input.

I’m so sorry, I thought you were the first person who answered who suggested making a ‘dummy group’ for dead accounts. I’ll try what you suggested.

no, balance history tab, it might be hidden, use the all sheets button in lower left corner, it is an equal sign with 3 lines instead of 2 lines. let me know if it works.

No need to delete. On the accounts sheet. Use the drop down to select the account and then on the hide column change the value to hide.

2 Likes

Thank you!! That was exactly what I was looking for. It’s easy to forget about the hidden sheets.

1 Like

if you hide it, that account will not be considered in other sheets and calculations; e.g., the net worth snapshot tab.

All the past transactions from the account are still visible and calculated in places like the Monthly Analysis and Category Tracker. The account is closed and setting the balance to zero in the way you suggested along with hiding it seems to only have removed it from the Balances sheet - which is exactly what I wanted. Is there some specific sheet you are referring to that I’m overlooking?

@kiki

if you hide it, that account will not be considered in other sheets and calculations; e.g., the
net worth snapshot tab. the transactions will continue to show like you noticed. however, anywhere you would want the asset balance to appear (for example in the net worth tabs), that asset balance will not be there if you select hide. check for yourself using the net worth snapshot tab. i have come to understand that many people do not realize this. i suspect all people would want to keep the asset balances for comparison purposes. in order for that to happen, it will need to continue to show as zero in the balances tab like you see. this is the way it was designed, albeit probably unintentionally.

@Kiki It looks like you have things figured out. Just in case, here is a good article on removing account data.

1 Like