One thing I’m struggling with is making sure that my budget accounts for annual (or other non-monthly) expenses. For example, let’s say I have a magazine subscription that costs $50 and I pay it every August. The easy answer is “just put $50” in August, but that becomes more complicated when:
- I have lots of these things
- some expenses are in categories that also have a monthly discretionary amount
I’ve thought of creating a new sheet where I could list all of these expenses and then somehow have a 2-item budget for every month where 1 item is coming from the annual sheet and the other is my discretionary. But I’m curious what other folks do with this kind of thing?
Some example of annual expenses:
- insurance (paid annually)
- pet meds (paid quarterly)
- passport renewals (paid every 5 years)
- car registration (annual)
Thanks for your insights.