How do you keep your transactions up to date if your bank account only gives you the posted date?

I’m new to Tiller on my free trial, but I’m kind of struggling to see the point of keeping a subscription after it ends. My bank only gives me the date transactions are posted, not the date I actually made my purchases, which is pretty useless to me in the long run. My bank still lists purchases I made 5 days ago as pending, so all my transactions that get added to Tiller end up having some random date instead of the date I actually spent the money. This makes things too confusing and defeats the purpose of tracking my spending. I’ve been just manually adding my transactions the day I make them so that I don’t forget when I spent the money, but if I’m just doing it manually I may as well not bother with the subscription.

How do you guys deal with this? I feel like I’m missing something. I really like the idea of Tiller, but in practice with how long it takes banks to post transactions the syncing feature just feels pointless.

1 Like

@lumpysplurt this feature request is on the wishlist for many of our customers. If you like, you can vote for this feature here. https://community.tillerhq.com/t/pending-transactions/86

1 Like

I completely agree with @lumpysplurt!

Thanks
Markv68

Two replies. First, there has been lots of recent discussions about Tiller developing the ability to post pending transactions, which would get you closer to purchase date. It’s the #1 feature request in that forum. Check out that thread for more conversation about the issue. Tiller knows lots of people (though not everybody) wants this functionality, but they’ve also indicated that it’s technically a complicated function to add to Tiller. Nothing with this is imminent has been the message from Tiller.

Second, as to how I deal with this, as long as a transaction lands in the right month, I’m generally fine with waiting for transactions to post. I use Tiller to keep track of the month-to-month picture, not the day-to-day picture. It doesn’t make much difference to me if a meal that I had on the 13th of a month doesn’t post until the 17th of that month. I do a little bit of clean-up at the beginning of each month to change the date on some transactions to have them post to the previous month, but it’s not a lot of work to do that.

Would I like to have the option of seeing pending transactions? Probably, but only if it doesn’t mean I have to spend lots of time cleaning up small authorizations that post to credit cards fairly regularly and that would create lots of clutter on my Tiller sheet if they were downloaded.

1 Like