How to account for budget items that are paid early?

I tried searching for my answer, but I’m still brand spanking new at Tiller and might not know the correct language to search here.

I would like to know if there is any way to adjust my transactions to account for things I pay for before I get/use it. The specific example I have right now is my rent. The money is withdrawn on ~the 28th of the month, but it pays for the next month. So right now my budget shows that category as $0 Actual until the end of the month, but really it was paid a few days before the start. Is there a trick to make the Sept 28th payment track in October’s budget?

Thanks for the help!

:wave:, @kbs!

The simplest way is change the date of the transaction from 9/28 to 10/1 in the Transactions sheet and it’ll show up on the October Budget.

1 Like

@heather
My apologies for digging up an old thread, but I’m new to the community and have a follow-up question!

I agree that this is the simplest way to get transactions to apply to a different months budget, but I have one hold back from doing it this way. If the date gets changed by more than a few days it’s going to be hard to find when I’m reconciling my Transactions sheet to my bank statements. I noticed that there’s a “Month” column in the Transactions sheet - if I manually edit that value will the transaction apply to the revised months budget?

No worries! The budget dashboards leverage the date column to pull in amount values from the Transactions sheet so modifying the Month data won’t work.

1 Like

@heather once you change a date in transactions so that is shows up in a different month, is there a way to re-sort by date so all transactions show up in date order again?

@wyliej30, yes! Just turn on the filter and sort by date. Documented on our Help Center here: