The Tiller Money Labs add-on includes a tool that will allow you to rename or merge categories.
You might want to rename a category if you decide you want to modify it or need to make it more or less broad.
You might want to merge a category if you no longer need the granularity it offers.
This workflow will update the category in the following places
- Categories sheet
- AutoCat rules sheet
- Transactions sheet
- Budget Journal (if using the Savings Budget dashboard from Tiller Money Labs)
How to use it
- Launch the Tiller Money Labs add-on from the add-ons menu
- Navigate to Tools > Rename category
- Choose whether you want to rename or merge a category
- Add a new category or select the existing category for merge
Choosing to rename a category means every instance of the existing category will be replaced with the new category and the old category will be removed from the Categories sheet.
Choosing to merge a category means all existing instances of the category will be merged with the selected category. This will also merge the budget values for the category into the new category’s budget.