What is the Tiller Labs add-on?
The Tiller Labs add-on allows you to easily discover and explore financial spreadsheet templates built by the Tiller Labs team and leverage powerful tools for boosting your financial tracking productivity. You can quickly add a new solution into any Google Sheet powered by the Tiller Money Feeds add-on.
The Tiller Labs Add-on takes a modular approach to experimenting with various financial spreadsheet templates, making it easy to discover, integrate, and manage new workflows and dashboards. Quickly drop a Debt Progress or Net Worth sheet right into your Foundation Template.
- Discover and easily add compatible single or multi-sheet spreadsheet solutions and workflows.
- Track and manage solution versioning with easy restore and upgrade workflows.
- Use tools like splitting transactions, manually adding and reconciling transactions, running reports, and importing CSV line items.
Note: This tool is works best with sheets being fed by the Tiller Money Feeds add-on for Google Sheets. The Tiller Console will indicate whether your sheet is a Feedbot or Feeds add-on powered sheet. Some solutions are not compatible with Feedbot sheets
How to Install the Tiller Labs Add-on
- Open the add-on store listing and click “Free” in the upper right corner. A new blank Google Sheet will open in a new tab.
- Click “Continue” when prompted by a modal in this sheet.
- Authorize the add-on to run with your Google account. If you get an “App not verified” screen, just scroll down and choose “advanced” and then “Proceed to Tiller Labs” to authorize.
- Open a blank Google Sheet.
- Open the Add-ons menu and choose
- Choose “View solutions”.
- Review and accept the Tiller Labs and Privacy disclosures.
- Browse and install solutions.
Included Solutions & workflows
- Debt Progress
- Net Worth
- Spending Money
- Weekly Trends
- Monthly Budget
- Yearly Budget
- Quick Insights
- Business Dashboard
- Category Tracker
- Weekly Analysis
- Account Filter
- Yearly Insights
- Spending Trends
- Projected Balances
- Holiday Gift Planner
- Tags Report
- Year to Date
- Net Worth Snapshot
- Estimated Quarterly Taxes
- Monthly Analysis
- Statement Details
Tools & Workflows
- Manually add and reconcile transactions
- Split transactions
- Import CSV line items from other tools like Mint, Personal Capital, YNAB, and Amazon
- Create reports
- Sanitize a sheet for sharing in the community
- Migration Helper for transitioning customized data from one Tiller Google Sheet to another
- Trim Balance History
How to Install a Solution
You can install solutions via the Tiller Labs add-on into any Feeds add-on powered Google Sheet. If a solution is incompatible with the current sheet in which you’re trying to install it, the add-on will let you know.
- Browse solutions.
- Click the solution name.
- Review the details. In some cases, a solution may require dependent sheets. The add-on will add dependent sheets if necessary.
- Choose “Add to spreadsheet” for any solutions you want to add.
The add-on sidebar will indicate it’s installing the sheet and one or more tabs will appear in your Google Sheet.
How to Feed Data to Your Tiller Labs Spreadsheet
If you’d like to feed bank data into the a new Google Sheet running the Tiller Labs add-on, you can use the Tiller Feeds beta add-on to link the sheet to your Tiller Console and start feeding your bank data.
How to Update or Restore an Installed Solution
Solutions that you install using the Tiller Labs add-on are “managed solutions.” You can manage these by visiting the “Managed Solutions” pane in the add-on. Here you will see what solutions the add-on has installed and also if updated versions are available.
If an update is available, the add-on can update the solution to the latest version. The add-on can also restore a solution for you if you’ve made an edit that has caused an error in a dashboard.
- Open the Tiller Labs add-on.
- Choose Manage Solutions.
- Click the dropdown triangle for the solution you wish to update or restore.
- Choose “Update Solution” or “Restore Solution”.
- Choose whether you want to overwrite existing or create an archive.
- Copy configuration data from the archive to the new version if necessary
NOTE: We recommend archiving sheets that have configuration data, especially the Accounts sheets. Other sheets that often contain configuration data are Debt Progress, Statements, Spending Money, and the Holiday Gift Tracker.
How to Share Feedback
If you have any feedback about using this tool or discover bugs, please reply to the Tiller Labs Add-on Feedback & Bugs topic.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Are Tiller Labs add-ons, solutions and templates supported by Tiller?
Tiller Labs projects are supported here in the Tiller community. Tiller team members are active participants in the community to answer your questions about Labs projects.
Why is the add-on asking me to adopt a sheet?
The Tiller Labs add-on uses metadata to read and write version metadata to individual sheets in your Google spreadsheet. Feedbot-powered created prior to August 26, 2019 do not have any version metadata information for Transactions, Categories, and Balance History. The Labs add-on can understand what these sheets should look like and will ask you to adopt them and assign version metadata upon first startup in your sheet. This helps determine whether solutions available in the Tiller Labs add-on are compatible or not.
How does the add-on use the requested scopes?
“See, edit, create, and delete your spreadsheets in Google Drive”
Allows access to the Google Sheets v4 API to execute batch changes to spreadsheets— like inserting new sheets and updating existing ones
“Display and run third-party web content in prompts and sidebars inside Google applications”
Implements the sidebar user interface
“Connect to an external service”
Fetches the Tiller-hosted solutions list
“Allow this application to run when you are not present”
Loads user-interface code & html assets stored in the add-on