Impact of "Money in Excel" feature on Tiller

So i have been using the Tiller Excel addin. Today i downloaded the Money in Excel template to see how it compares. I have built out my Tiller Excel Spreadsheet using VBA so that it will autocat, breakdown my mortgage payment from a mortgage schedule. I have it working. I have found the data feed from Tiller to be reliable (in contrast with Quicken which was getting quite bad). I added accounts to the Money in Excel to see how it would work. I have Bank of America and Merrill Lynch which are owned by BofA. Well it downloaded the BofA data but so far has failed at downloading the Merrill data. It also had the Merrill Accounts under BofA which i suspect might have caused the downloading problem. So immediately i am encountering downloading problems. We will see where this goes. It also seems that Tiller kept their transactions and category sheets more customizable at first blush. I have to play around with that more. With Tiller I could make the transactions sheet a table and filter it easily which is really useful. Final judgement at this point, is that Tiller offers more flexibility. I wish Tiller had more template addons for Excel to work with.

3 Likes

Hi @ronnieK, I know this is an old thread. But I just noticed you said you “have built out my Tiller Excel Spreadsheet using VBA so that it will autocat.” This sounds very intriguing. Would you be willing to share your VBA code with us? I would like to get auto categories working in Excel somehow, as it seems TillerHQ hasn’t made any movement towards adding this feature, and I am trying to minimize my use of Google in general. Thanks!

1 Like

Sorry, i have not been here in awhile. I will work on figuring out how i can make my Excel spreadsheet a template and not compromise my personal account information. Then i would be happy to share my sheets. They are certainly not perfect and i had to learn VBA syntax and environment to get this done. (I knew other programming languages.)

Money in Excel is worthless if you have accounts at a brokerage that you use. It only works with banks. If all you have are bank accounts and credit cards, i suppose it will work for you. You will have to wait till MSFT updates Money in Excel to handle Investment accounts. It has been months now since release and they still have to addressed this. For example, all of my banking goes through a Cash Management Account at Merrill so Money in Excel will not pick up my spending.

Thanks for being willing to share. I agree about VBA. It would be nice if there was a way to use Jinja templates or Python instead for building this autocat lookalike.

1 Like

"Effective June 30th 2023 Money in Excel will no longer be supported.’ They’re getting rid of this. They’re partnered with Tiller on a 60 day trial which is helpful, unless like me your bank doesn’t work with Yodlee (which Tiller uses for data) but does work with Plaid (which Money in Excel uses)

:frowning:

I have been wanting Tiller to use both Yodlee and Plaid for a long time. Each one has outages for banks at different times, so If one of them had a long-term (many, many, weeks) you could possibly switch to the other one. I always wanted to try Money In Excel, but they only offered it to the USA, not Canada. I guess that’s OK, since they canceled it entirely.

3 Likes

Same. Here. I have brought this up several times

1 Like

Also, MX is a good integrator too.

1 Like

We hope to offer multiple aggregators in the future, and something we’re considering for this year, but it’s not a small lift!!

2 Likes

I am hopeful you and the team can do this! I had to cancel my sub as it’s been unable to sync my Bank feed for several months. Trying out competitors budgeting software that uses Plaid - sure the backend works but the software itself feels like working with one hand tied behind my back, and a boxing glove on the other hand :frowning:

I look forward to the day I can resub for a stable bank feed!

Sorry to hear you’re trying other tools, @seffy. We are constantly improving our bank feeds and Yodlee is always addressing outages of supported institutions. The “multiple aggregator” solution is on the roadmap but a ways out.

@seffy , I agree that it sucks that Tiller did not work for you. Take a look at Monarch. Not a spreadsheet tool, but still pretty cool and really pretty. And uses Plaid.

@randy Unfortunately It’s been a recurring theme with my particular bank, I can’t recall a time it’s worked consistently for more than a couple of months in all the time I’ve been using Tiller(for 6 years!).

I did try manually importing, but the guide I followed to setup the import was not as straightforward as it appeared, and I couldn’t get the formulas to format the dates working. A more robust manual import would honestly be enough to keep me around as a fallback.

@richl I took a look at Monarch on your recommendation. Unfortunately my bank doesn’t show up on their list of institutions.

@seffy i know monarch uses plaid and finicity as it’s aggregators so I would be suprised if you find another tool that will work with the bank. Maybe it’s time to look at banks

1 Like

Sadly the elephant in the room is probably that my bank is in Canada, and Monarch have probably removed any bank that isn’t strictly US from their list. For the record, when the Yodlee/Tiller feed DID work, it worked just fine, no oddities related to maple syrup or poutine or French. I have tried other software that uses Plaid, and my bank did work just fine with those apps.

How dare they? Seriously let’s show some love for our northern neighbors🇨🇦

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear you’re running out of options, @seffy. Do you want to share a little more in a new topic about what isn’t working about the CSV-import workflow?

1 Like

Done, here.

Ah! Sorry to hear you had to cancel after 6 years. I hope one of the CSV import options works for you :slight_smile: