Monthly annuity withdrawals - Categorizing activity (sales, taxes, and bank deposits)

I did a search and didn’t see anything that seemed to fit my question. If there is something out there that I missed, my apologies, and could you point me in the right direction.

For any investment activity, I have just marked everything as “Investment” and left it at that. But, I have 2 annuities that provide us with part of our monthly income. When the data is pulled in from multiple sources, I have transactions for the sale of shares (from 3 index funds) as positive transactions and then fed tax withheld, state tax withheld, and money transferred to checking account as negative transactions. There is also a transaction showing the deposit to our checking account.
My question is, what is the best way to categorize these transactions?

I have attached a screenshot that shows an example of these transactions and what I am thinking for categories?

Do they make sense? I am still pretty new to Tiller and very rusty with Excel so any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx.

:wave: @ra4gto

Can you take a look at this topic and let me know if it answers your question here or at least points you in the right direction?

Hi Heather,

Thanks for pointing this link out to me. It makes a lot of sense and, yes, it does answer my question. I am expanding on it a little bit and will probably set things up with a little more detail. Please see below:

On an additional note, I have managed to combine data from Quicken, Excel, and Mint and pull all the data into Tiller for the last 6 years. I still have more clean-up to do, but I am getting there.

Thanks

1 Like