Moving from Mvelopes

HI @heather,

To the point of trying to import data from Mvelopes. I think that would be pretty challenging to bring over all of the transactions even with the power of using Google Sheets to help reformat existing data. Instead I’ve decided that I’m just going to just dump and archive that data separately. A believe a better plan for most is to pick a starting date (doesn’t necessarily have to be the date one started using Tiller) and delete all imported transactions prior to that date. You’d then want to export your “Mvelope” balances (on that date) and use that as the initial funding transactions to get your available balances allocated to the right “categories” (or envelopes in UE).

The big mindset difference when moving from Mvelopes was the way credit card spending is handled:
Don’t link your accounts that contain balances that aren’t part of your budget (things like car loans or mortgages) since their aren’t explicit “system envelopes” that hold money for paying your credit card bills. Instead as explained in his post to me on 10/22. the total of your accounts, minus the totals of your envelops is used to calculate a delta which should match your credit card balances (at least if you use them like charge cards). Note: I’m still not fully setup yet with his spreadsheet (at least to where I’m seeing all the calculations adding up the way they should), but I think this is the right strategy!

Hey Cody did you get it figured out? If not let me know how I can help

@richl I just purchased the Ultimate Envelopes tonight, and I received you email that you gave the correct email address access. Thanks for the quick reply!.

Now that I have downloaded the UE - I am struggling to incorporate it into the Tiller Foundations sheet that I have setup. Essential both are blank, except for the samples that they/you provide. But they are separate.

If I understood your documentation, it looks like I’m supposed to copy just the envelopes sheet from the UE download into the Tiller workbook- which I did. But the next step talks about enabling a script and I don’t see anything under my tools that says “script editor” even when I am on the envelopes sheet in the workbook. So what do I do now and how do I get the rest of your sheets INTO my Tiller workbook and integrated?

Thanks for your help

@richl UPDATE: I logged in tonight and NOW I see the Apps Scripts option under the Extensions menu.

I think I finally have the script running and the UE linked to Tiller. I was unclear if it mattered which order I did those things (l ran the script and THEN linked to Tiller - is the order significant, will it work the way I did it?)

Hey Tina. Are you able to join a zoom call on Friday to go over this and get you setup?

I played around with it some more and had some success getting a little further in my setup, so I edited my comment while you were responding :slight_smile: Besides getting connected, I haven’t had a chance to get my bearings with how it works and what to do next. I will likely look at that tomorrow night, but I would still appreciate getting together to pick your brains about the tool. I should be available to meet on Friday - what time works for you (and what time zone are you in, I’m in eastern time).

I will email you directly.

Hello,
I am an Mvelopes transplant wannabe. I have exactly tonight to figure out what to do. I’ve copied all my old data from MVELOPES and I’ve joined Moneywise, but I think I really want to use a spreadsheet based system. I’ve thought about making my own but why reinvent the wheel? I am willing to dedicate the next two days to figuring this out but I have no idea what TILLER is and I am getting the sense it is a budgeting platform? But your UE is an add on to this? I use credit cards as holding places and pay off the balances. I’ve used MVELOPES since 2007 so I’m pretty upset that tomorrow is my last day. I can’t quite wrap my head around everything I’m reading here and just need to jump in but need to know what to do first. Any thoughts?

Hi Amy. Happy Holidays. I have been hearing from a lot of Mvelopes refugees lately.

So Tiller is a service that connects your banks to either a google sheets or me excel spreadsheet. In addition to the default Tiller sheets, there is a pretty active community that shares templates they have built

I have built an envelope system that works with Tiller.

To learn more about it go here

If you have questions please feel free to contact me

Rich

So I got a tiller sheet up and working, so I think I understand how it works. Tiller is like using fincity or plaid, right? as a way to download all my transactions.

So, If I use your template I don’t need to use the tiller foundation sheets? I would just use your template?

I added a bunch of my accounts and it grabbed transactions from August and beyond. I think I need to start off fresh and “fund” all my envelopes from scratch using current account balances. I’ve cleared everything in my mvelopes and written down all my envelope balances. Am I able to start from scratch like that?

Thanks for any insight!

So my template includes the main sheets of the foundation template so it will work wit all teh other Tiller sheets. If you are thinking of using the Ultimate Envelopes I recommend just starting with my template.

The high level steps are are follows.

Create Categories on the Category Sheet.
Categorize all transactions - this will make your envelopes go negative
Fund the Envelopes so the balance of them matches your Mvelopes balances.

Add an initial balance transaction to adjust the Available to Fund amount is zero.

If yo need more help let me know.

Rich

I have a question about the categorizing of the envelopes…So I’ve been playing with the Tiller sheets…It imports like 90 days worth of transactions. Do I need to assign all of those? or rather categorize them? I kind of wanted to just start from scratch.

You can just delete them

I just paid for the template but I needed to request access since I paid with a different email.

One thing I’m really having a hard time understanding when I was playing around with the template and your earlier version is that it looks like envelopes are funded from specific accounts rather than one big pool. Is there a way to just make all the accounts one big pool? We have several checking and savings accounts but they all pool at the same bank.

I will be home in a bit and can give you access. What email do you want it to go to?

Yes, just select the main account you want to use for all of the categories. Just be aware of the balances so you don’t overdraw one.

Hi Again, I’m really trying to understand how to use this. I’ve been setting up the basic tiller sheet so I can understand how it works and figure out what you’ve done differently.

Firstly, I can’t figure out how to initially fund my envelopes. Do I do this in a template on the categories page?

Second, That question above…basically I never draw my envelopes from one account in general. We have 2 checking accounts and several savings accounts and we transfer money to and from as needed. Is this just placeholder text or is this going to be adjusting balances of my checking accounts if I say I’m doing groceries, water, clothing etc from one.

The other thing I need to do is track some split expenses. I split kid expenses with my ex husband so I have an envelope that is just the one I use for his reimbursement to me. So maybe I’ve put a kid activity on a credit card, then when I go to assign the transaction, I split it between a “dance” and “reimbursement” envelope. I did see how to do splits with the add on in Tiller but if this transaction is split I’m not totally paying for it out of one bank account except initially. Does this make sense>

Hi Rich, just following up to see if you saw this.

Thanks!

Hi Amy ( and all Tiller users), Happy New Years.

Sorry, I have been traveling and not checking in here too much.

Check out this link for instructions on Funding Envelopes.

this is the Manual Way, I will be adding how to funding using templates soon.

if you have additional questions feel free to email me at UltimateEnvelopes@thescottland.com

Rich