The account grouping on my Net Worth page seems to have been jumbled. I don’t exactly know what did it, but they aren’t grouped as they should be. I even started a new Net Worth template. and experienced the same results. Here is my pages before and after the mix up.
Have you tried using the Tiller Community Solutions Add-on to restore the template?
Yes I have tried this and received the same results.
Double check your Accounts sheet and make sure that you don’t have any custom columns in there or have changed the data validation settings on the Hide column.
If that doesn’t help I’d recommend restoring the Accounts sheet using the Templates feature in the Tiller Money Feeds add-on.
- Open your Google Sheet
- Launch the Tiller Money Feeds add-on from the Extensions menu at the top
- Choose Templates
- Click “Restore template” under the Accounts sheet
- Choose “Archive Existing Then Restore”
The archive of the Accounts sheet will have any customizations you’ve made to account groups and class overrides. You can copy/paste these from the Archived Accounts sheet to the new Accounts sheet. If you haven’t made any customizations to the Accounts sheet you can choose “Overwrite Existing” in step 5.
I tried all of these, and unfortunately, it did not work. My Balances account values also differ from my Tiller HQ balances. Yes, The spreadsheet is still linked.
You’re saying that the Balances template shows different (more up to date) Balances that are properly grouped than the Net Worth template?
The Balances template shows properly grouped accounts, unlike Net Worth.
Another, separate problem (but maybe related), is that neither the Balances nor Net Worth are showing the same values as my Tiller HQ page (which has the correct values).
To summarize, both the Net Worth and Balances pages show the incorrect values, and the Net Worth is not categorize the accounts correctly.
Can you make sure that your sheet has been filled with the latest data available by using Tiller Money Feeds to fill the sheet?
If that doesn’t help, double check your Balance History sheet and make sure it’s sorted newest to oldest by date and see if the balances reflected in the Balance History sheet match what’s on the Tiller Console.
If they don’t then something is probably going on with the fill (the Console reflects the latest balance in our database, which Tiller Money Feeds should be filling in) and you’ll need to reach out to us via support using the chat tool in the lower right corner of the Console at https://my.tillerhq.com
Thank you. I Filled the sheets, and the values for some reason finally started transitioning, which they were not for the previous 4 weeks. I am not sure what was going on, but it looks correct now.
I still have the issue with the Net Worth page being displayed incorrectly. I will reach out through the support Console.
Glad to hear the balances are updating properly.
Sorry for any confusion, but our general support team won’t be able to help with as the Net Worth sheet is a community-built and supported solution. I was suggesting that for the Foundation Template Balance’s sheet issues.
If the groupings are working my guess is that it’s an issue with the Accounts sheet. That’s where the groupings are set and then it flows into Balances and Net Worth.
The data flow is Balance History > Accounts > Net Worth.
So I recommend restoring the Accounts sheet again and see if that gets things at least back to square one where you see “ungrouped asset” and “ungrouped liability” on the Net Worth sheet instead of your custom groups. If not, let us know.
Thanks. I tried a bunch of things, including restoring all three spreadsheets and copying the data over.
I ended up going back to a previous version that worked. I don’t know what the change was but everything works now. Thank you.