Newly Updated: Add Manual Transactions in Google Sheets

Originally published at: Newly Updated: Add Manual Transactions in Google Sheets - Tiller

Today we’re excited to share a new Google Sheets feature we’ve moved out of the Tiller Community Solutions add-on and into the Tiller Money Feeds add-on: Add Manual Transactions.

This feature makes it easy to add an individual or a few individual transactions at once to your Tiller-powered Google Sheet. If you have an account you’re already tracking manually you’ll also be able to update the balance for that account when you add the manual transaction.

One improvement is that you can now add tags and notes to your manual transactions in the sidebar as you’re adding the other details if those columns exist in your Transactions sheet.

You can flag transactions for reconciliation so they can be matched to the automated version when Tiller brings it in, but for now the reconciliation feature is still in the Tiller Community Solutions add-on. We’re working on bringing over the reconciliation features and hope to release that soon.
We’re also hoping to release these features for Microsoft Excel soon too, but for right now they’re only available for Google Sheets.

We’re transitioning features out of Tiller Community Solutions and into Tiller Money Feeds based on popularity and need so that these features get full support from our customer success and engineering teams. Similar to the split transaction feature that recently moved to Tiller Money Feeds, these features are core to many Tiller customers’ workflows and belong in our core product.

Lastly, the Tiller Money Feeds add-on has more limited scopes and permissions than the Tiller Community Solutions add-on. Transitioning these features allows us to make them available to all customers, including those who prefer not to install the Tiller Community Solutions add-on because of its broad access permissions.

Click here to learn more about the Add Manual Transaction tool for Google Sheet

Other updates to the Tiller Money Feeds add-on

This latest push to Tiller Money Feeds for Google Sheets also includes some major updates including:

• A bug fix where customers weren’t seeing a warning in the sidebar if their Date header in the Transactions sheet was missing
  • Updated the main Tiller Money Feeds menu (from Extensions) to include a Tools menu where you can find Split Transaction and Add Manual Transaction
  • Enabled a new “runtime” technology that is critical for upcoming improvements we hope to make to the Tiller Money Feeds add-on.
  • Disables support for the Document add-ons menu. You need to launch Tiller Money Feeds directly from the Extensions menu near the bottom of the Extensions menu. Launching from Extensions > Add-ons > Document add-ons will no longer work.

The runtime change may impact customers who are signed in to multiple Google accounts in their browser. If you find that you attempt to launch the add-on and get an “Authorization required” message and the rest of the sidebar is disabled, you can follow these steps to address the issue. You can also reach out to our support team for help by using the chat tool in the lower right corner of the Tiller Console at https://sheets.tillerhq.com/auth/login

What do you think?

Let us know if you have any feedback or questions about these updates by chiming in via the Tiller Community below.

3 Likes

Just a quick note that this push introduced an issue where the add-on may have skipped filling some of your data in column A. You would only be missing data in column A if you are affected by this issue.

For example, if you have your Date in column A you might have noticed transactions ended up at the bottom of your Transactions sheet without the date.

We have resolved the issue for new fills, but any fills between Oct 18 1:30PM ET and Oct 13 6:18PM ET may have been affected.

You can fix existing entries by restoring to the version before you last filled your sheet using the Version History option under the File menu and then re-fill your sheet.

Does this apply to Excel Sheets also?

@peterczapor - we have not released this feature in Excel yet.

Is there an estimated timeframe to reenable reconciliations?

Thanks!

Welcome, @Norm :wave:

We don’t have a timeline for this just yet. We’re currently beta testing a method to do this in Tiller Money Feeds, but need to analyze feedback and act on it.

You can still use the reconcile feature in the Tiller Community Solutions add-on though and it works with the transactions added via Tiller Money Feeds add-on.

Whenever I add a transaction, it enters the correct date, but it puts it at the top of my file, which is out of order, making me have to sort my transaction file. Is it possible to make it automatically insert the transaction at the correct date point?

Why do I not see this in my sidebar? Mine is missing the Reconcile with Feeds section, has no Note option or Tags option…I need Notes and Tags! :frowning:

FYI - still on trial subscription if that matters - and I can’t find any way to manually update the add-ons so I’m just waiting for an answer I guess…

@dixonge If you don’t have the Note (singular not plural) or Tags columns in your Transactions sheet you won’t see those options here. Flag for reconcile checkbox is only available for transactions for automated accounts (manual accounts like cash will never have an automated match come in so there is no need to flag for reconcile).

@ericf22952 thanks for your feedback about the placement of the transaction. This is just how it works right now and you will need to sort by the date column to get it in the appropriate order.

1 Like

@heather oh, thanks! Makes sense :slight_smile:

Glad to hear @heather resolved the issue, @dixonge.