šŸ† Paycheck Deduction Transaction Generator

I just duplicated this sheet 3x for my 3 sources of income.

3 Likes

I really like this for the extra level of detail it gives me on being able to track how much tax Iā€™ve paid etc.

Iā€™m struggling with one thing though which is my 401k match. This doesnā€™t show on my Paycheck but when the money goes into my 401k account it goes in as a lump sum

One simple solution is just to split up that transaction each pay period, but that seems repetitive and manual and the goal is to minimize that sort of thing, so Iā€™m wondering if thereā€™s any way I could account for 401k matching with this? Your thoughts?.

I do my 401 match separately as my company used Vanguard and Vanguard pulls in contributions, whether from me or from an outside source, like my company.

On the paycheck deduction categories, itā€™s marked as an expense and on Vanguardā€™s side, both are marked as a transfer. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s the ā€œrightā€ way, but itā€™s been working for me for a while.

Column AI is not working for me. Although I followed all of the instructions to the letter in Section 1, I am seeing an error in AI5. It is giving me this error:
=ARRAYFORMULA(IFNA(TRANSPOSE(IF(#REF!<>"",VLOOKUP(AO4,$F4:$AF,{2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27},True),INDEX($P4:$AF4)))))

All other rows in that column are blank without any formula. Whatā€™s the issue? Is there an error in the worksheet? I added this sheet after but was listed as a New item under Explore in the Community Solutions bar.

What is the #REF supposed to be?

Hereā€™s what the formula is supposed to be:
=ARRAYFORMULA(IFNA(TRANSPOSE(IF($F4<>"",VLOOKUP(AO4,$F4:$AF,{2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27},True),INDEX($G4:$AF4)))))
The thing is, that formula should be in cell AI4. I also notice that your formula, besides having the #REF error, the end references ā€œ$P4:$AF4ā€ instead of ā€œ$G4:$AF4ā€. That part of the formula is grabbing the list of paycheck info, which should start in column G. Because yours shows column P, it seems like that part of the sheet got altered. If just fixing the formula in AI4/AI5 doesnā€™t do it, youā€™ll probably want to ā€˜Restoreā€™ the sheet and start again.

I had to restore it a couple of times and I found another error. In the directions, it says ā€œUsing your latest paycheck stub/statement, enter the date you got paid in F5ā€ This information should say ā€œUsing your latest paycheck stub/statement, enter the date you got paid in F4ā€ It works when I enter it in that line instead of having it blank. I was reading the directions and taking it literally. However, with that change, it works! Thanks!

Glad you got it working! @heather I donā€™t see the ability to edit my original post to fix this, is that no longer possible?

Are you saying you canā€™t edit the first entry in this topic/thread?

Correct. I can change the title, but I donā€™t get the ā€œEdit this postā€ pencil button at the bottom. Seems like that goes away after a period of time, since I can edit the last post I made in this thread, but I canā€™t edit any earlier ones.

Just found an obscure setting, @jpfieber, and changed it. Try again.

That worked, thanks!

This is great! Thanks jpfieber!

As suggested I made a copy of this to track my wifeā€™s paycheck separately from mine.

One issue I had to address was that in my transactions sheet I have a ā€œreconciliationā€ column between ā€œAmountā€ and ā€œNoteā€. This was not handled properly in the generated transactions section. I fixed this by inserting an empty column AW in the generator sheet (Section 4).

I like the way you have created sections to keep things organized and hidden. I like this approach better than the convention being followed in the other tiller sheets of hiding the ā€œworkingā€ columns on the right.

Glad itā€™s working for you! Matching all the Transactions columns does get tricky. Iā€™ve had issues when inserting a new column on my Transactions sheet after the Payroll sheet has been established. In any case, the easy solution to those issues is to select AT3, and use the fill handle to copy the formula to the right till you get to BZ3. This should ā€˜refindā€™ all your Transactions columns.

Thanks for making this, I have been considering how to do something similar. Yours is better than my ideas!

I also modified it to work for mortgage payments and escrows. My mortgage company imports as a single line item for everything, no separate escrow balance or interest line items. Now I can see this being adapted for loan payments as well.

4 Likes

Hey all,

Iā€™m having an issue with the ā€œPaycheck deduction transactionsā€ section of this template. Specifically the ā€œATā€ column shows a random number (44804) from AT4 through AT23. Iā€™ve deleted and then reinstalled the template, but Iā€™m still having the issue. I feel like Iā€™m chasing my tail around here, any ideas for a solution?

Thanks in advance,

Leif

The numbers youā€™re seeing are unformatted dates. Since I donā€™t know which columns youā€™ll have dates in, I didnā€™t pre-format any column in that area, and ideally you shouldnā€™t need to. Once you paste that section into your Transactions sheet as ā€˜Valuesā€™ they should take on the formatting you have there, so dates will look right again. If youā€™d still like the date related columns like AT to look like dates, just click the column header for AT, go to Format\Number\Date and it should look the way youā€™re expecting.

Thanks a ton for the response @jpfieber (and your hard work!)ā€¦ problem ended up being that I didnā€™t copy the columns starting from from ā€œASā€ (the tiller logo column) in the Paycheck Deduction Transactions worksheet and then paste it into the ā€œAā€ column on the main transactions worksheet. Total user error I suppose.

I thought if I was only copying starting with the ā€œATā€ columns and pasting them into the ā€œDateā€ Column on the Main Transactions sheet it would work, but it didnā€™t for me initially.

1 Like

I have tried it about 5 times with new sheets but I also have some issue with the date override drop down. It has blanks or references odd dates. There seems to be some bugs where adding rows throws it off and I cannot get the row selected properly to copy/paste into transactions. Any thoughts?

Adding rows can definitely cause issues if you add to the beginning or end of a range. Better to add new paychecks to the end of the list, and then select and sort them.

Yes agree. I downloaded a fresh copy and only manually entered one more paycheck underneath and for me it still does not auto select row on override.