Period Comparison Template

Thinking that it would be cool with a third set of columns that show and are sorted by the net between the two periods… :thinking:

Yes!! That would be a really nice addition.

I love seeing my finances this way but I’m also learning a great deal about past spending which is going to be valuable going forward. Really, thank you so much.

I’ve been waiting for this as well. Going to check it out. Thanks!

1 Like

I added some new sorting and comparison features, have a look, @susandennis & @alkrongold.

Better and even better! The delta bars are a great addition as is the category sorting that goes with them. I’m actually kind of shocked at how looking at the data this way makes such a difference in how I think about it.

I abandoned the hiding of the columns and, instead just made the data white so it’s out of view but there still. I really do like this tab. A lot. Thank you!!

One final update… I just published the new Period Comparison template into the Tiller Money Labs add-on.

If you have already installed it manually, I’d recommend deleting it and reinstalling via the add-on so Tiller Money Labs can track the version and let you know when there are updates.

Thanks for the ideas and the inspiration, @susandennis.

Installed as instructed and I am just delighted. Thank you so very much.

1 Like

Would be nice to have this for the Envelope Budgeting but the Period Comparison is not compatible. A workaround I’ve looked at using is the Category Rollup Report. I create a six-month and an annual report, re-naming in between. Then I create an average for each main category in each sheet. It’s a bit cumbersome going back and forth for viewing. I’m considering developing a sheet that will pull in those values for ease in viewing.

While the Envelope Monthly Budget shows “Previous” spending what I’d like to see (instead of what I described above) is an extra column where I could see average spending based on a (drop-down specified) period (Previous Quarter, Six Months, Annual).

How do I obtain or fill in the budget for the previous year? since category sheet provide for current budget only, it means there won’t be comparison budget for the last year? Maybe I’m missing something here. Thanks

I’m not certain I understand your question, @adekunledauda, but I think you are saying that you overwrite the budget categories in your Categories sheet at the start of a new year. Another workflow is to add 12 columns to the right and keep your previous-year budget. (This is what I do.)

This is great, thanks @randy!

Is there a way to get it to skip categories marked as “hide” on the category sheet? I see a reference to the Hide column but don’t see it used in any of the formulas.

Thanks!

1 Like

Great idea, @charlotte. Just added this feature. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Thanks @randy , very helpful. Another suggestion: add options for “Last Year to Date” and “This Year to Date” to the drop downs. I know I can do it by using custom, but having pre-built would be helpful.

1 Like

And not to be too needy, but if there was an option to switch between Category and Groups, that would be awesome.

1 Like

I’ll raise you a picky… I wouldn’t mind hiding or somehow removing income from the view :smile:

Randy, I just downloaded this again and I am noticing that when my two periods are a negative amount, the net actual is subtracting one month from the other, and not adding it. (I think it’s a – becomes a +, rather than ± the transactions.)

Maybe I’m misunderstanding the scenario, @yossiea, but it looks right to me.

If you look at Misc:

• Last year: -$128.59
  • This year: -$10.60
  • Net Actual: $117.99

That seems right since you are $117.99 favorable this year versus last, right?

You’re right. I was looking for total actuals (which isn’t really needed in this sheet).
-edit- One question though, I had an expense this month, but not last month. The Net Actual is a positive number reflecting the full expense amount for this month. Is that how it should be?

@randy bump on @yossiea’s question here :point_up: I don’t know the answer, but I am also curious :slight_smile:

Hi Randy,

Are you working on an Excel version?

Thanks,
kra808