Position History/Holdings investment data features & ideas

@cmwhelan, I sent you a DM :slight_smile:

I’m late to the game (I wish I had seen this post earlier!), but here’s my thought on what would be the most useful, while managing a reasonable amount of information (I personally think the historical data for each holding every day would be way too much anyway)

• current positions/holdings (including account, ticker symbol, description, units, cost basis, current price and market value.) Asset class would be another bonus if that’s available from Yodlee (i.e. cash, large value/growth/blend stock, etc.)
  • transaction history for the investments (such as shares bought, sold, money deposited, withdrawn, etc.) just like you’d see in the cash flow transactions tab.

With these together, I think one could built a pretty robust investment tracking spreadsheet that could be used to build a spreadsheet that reflects current as well as basic historical data.

2 Likes

Q: Why not allow SQL access?

One question: what about the idea of giving users access to their data via SQL? Perhaps the number of ways to view ones data is too unpredictable and so one option is to provide an escape hatch where people can just look at their data feeds in SQL. Acknowledged, this isn’t right for everybody and higher level roll-ups (spreadsheets and canned reports) should be available as well.

2 Likes

I love this question! It’s an idea we’ve spent some time thinking about. Implementing something like that is tricky and so I wouldn’t say it’s exactly on the roadmap at this point, but the underlying issue (flexibility in accessing data) is real and definitely something we should do better at, IMO.

Any update on the availability of this? Thank you!

Hi @john.warren3,

It looks like you’re on the legacy feeds so it won’t be available to you until you switch to our ysl version and we open the beta to a wider group. We have a small group beta going right now, and hope to open to another round of folks soon.

You can opt to have me manually upgrade your account to ysl or wait for the automated option.

More on that in this help article.

I’d love it if you converted it for me!

@john.warren3, you can get started by completing this form

Hi! How soon will this be available for wide release?

1 Like

Hi @heather when will this be available for wide release (or when will you allow more users to join your beta)?

1 Like

I don’t actually know what the plan is at the moment, but from a technical standpoint (if that’s at all interesting) the holdings data feed reliability has turned out to be extraordinarily disappointing. Any attempt to create a rational visualization from it ends up requiring weird hacks. I’m not sure that any final decisions have been made yet but I wouldn’t be surprised if the final holdings feed product ends up being delayed substantially. :-/

After working with detailed, granular investment data in Quicken for many years, I’m not sure how you pull this off and not bog down the spreadsheet. It can get complex quickly trying to meet everyone’s requirements with this as well as the numerous transaction types with this topic. I gave up trying to track investment transaction level data accurately in Quicken because there are so many options it’s overwhelming, duplicative, and mind numbing. And it’s SLOW as a result.

IMO, I would absolutely have a bias towards some core fields and leave it at that. Maybe something like the mockup in the OP. If people want to get into the weeds, I would just recommend you use your primary investment platform (should have account aggregate features with focus on investments) or Personal Capital at that point.

I’d love an update on this front too. Knowing that the aggregator supports this and we just can’t see it is frustrating! If there are performance issues with lots of historical data, would be great to at least get current positions soon! (although seems like history could be managed by having a time-based cleanup or something that removes daily records after some period, weekly after some period, etc)

Hi @richard.bowman, thanks for your feedback here. Development on the holdings feature is on hold for now. I totally understand the frustration though! Hoping we can pick it back up later this year.