QIF to CSV conversion for ex-Quicken users

Any of you ex-Quickeners faced this? Need software for or other means of converting QIF to CSV format?

When I exported my historical transactions from my current version of Quicken Deluxe, it saved with a .QIF extension. My export did not offer the REGISTER TRANSACTION TO CSV option that I’ve seen in Tiller instructions.

Or is there a way to copy the Quicken transactions with categories and splits directly from Quicken and import/paste it into a Tiller compatible work sheet in csv format to then manipulate it before adding it to Tiller Transactions?

Or some other work-around?

1 Like

@LadyHawke Ex-Quickener here. I would export to an Excel file which was an option at the time (about 3 years ago). Then I would convert that to a CSV file. Take a look and see if that option is still available in the version of Quicken you are using.

Thanks for the response, but, no, current Quicken doesn’t offer an Excel export. And I cannot find a converter from .qif to .csv. Appreciate your effort!

@LadyHawke I went back to my old Quicken app and took another look and noticed there are two places that download transactions. I had only used the option shown in the screen shot below and wasn’t even aware of the other choice for selecting only a QIF extract.

See if you have the option below on your version:

1. Open the account with the transactions you want to export.
  2. Click the Actions Gear icon in the upper right above the register (the gear icon above the Search bar).
  3. Select Export to Excel

Quicken Export to Excel

We are making PROGRESS…I think??? So thanks for getting me this far.

I got the Q historical transactions exported as excel, but all the Tiller directions I have are for .csv…and the steps do not match. Example: Deleting columns & rows…once the excel sheet is imported into My Drive, it will not allow columns & rows to be deleted. So I’ve gone back to the excel version and am doing the deletes there and intend to replace the sheet that I first download to My Drive.

HOWEVER…before I do that…I need to understand the Tiller instructions about Quicken SPLITS… “…the “split” data can be moved to a “note” or separate column if it’s important.” My split data is essential. So what exactly does it mean “move” to separate column? What should that look like. And how will the splits be associated with the transactions. I use them A LOT, so I must understand (preferably see the procedure) how this will work.

Back to you. Sorry. But thanks, again.

1 Like

Example of split. This is my natural gas utility bill which is split between my home and my husband’s business:
729:UTIL Nm Gas
1 POLLITT STUDIO:UTILITY:Nm Gas

Looking at it, I realize the total amount is not shown. That’s another subject. Let’s get splits explained first.
Many of my splits have 3 and 4 parts…

??? I deleted the 1st excel sheet. Got a message it would be permanently deleted after 30 days – or if I wanted to save it, it must have the .xlsx extension. The 1st sheet was .xls. With .xlsx, I can delete rows and columns.

I’m getting discouraged at how complicated this all is. But I’ll keep after it…once I get an explanation for splits to be moved to separate columns.

Please ignore all my questions about importing historical data. I’ve marked them all SOLUTION. I apologize for using up your time.

I will finish 2021 running all my transactions in both Quicken and Tiller (thereby sidestepping importing 2021 records). Hopefully, by January I will have mastered Tiller.

@LadyHawke Converting data from one application to another can get discouraging. And it is complicated in the sense that there can be so many different steps depending on the version of software you are using and which computer you have (i.e., Apple MAC or Windows PC, etc…)

The Quicken export process should give you a separate line for each split item following one after the other. The “Split” data being referred to is the Quicken export file column labeled “Split”. It usually only has the letter “S” in it to indicate that this is a split record. It might be useful to keep it to identify that this was originally from a combined transaction.

Hope this helps some more!

Thanks, again. :+1:

I have enough to learn about current transactions. As stated above, I’m sidestepping the conversion all together.