🤔 "Rollover Adjustment" in the new Savings Budget

@kevinwholland I was somewhat confused at first as well, but I think I have a good handle now after spending some time fixing the formulas. Here is my understanding of each value.

• Net Budgets: This is a simple balance of your budgeted income minus your budgeted expenses. If this is $0, you have allocated every dollar of income to expenses or savings goals. A positive value means you still have income to allocate, and a negative value means you have budgeted more expenses than you expect to earn. I believe this is how the Rollover value previously behaved.
  • Net Actuals, All: This is the net sum of all transactions on the Transactions sheet for the specified period, including income, expense, and transfer types. This is similar to Cash Flow on the Monthly Budget sheet.
  • Net Actuals, Savings: This is similar to the value above, but only categories marked as Savings in the Track column of the Categories sheet are summed.
  • Offset: This is a more resilient version of what was previously called Rollover. As @randy explains it:

There are basically 3 categories of transactions that need to be handled differently to keep a budget true:

• Budgeted transactions with rollovers turned on
  • Budgeted transactions with rollovers turned off
  • Unbudgeted transactions (e.g. transfers, uncategorized or no-longer-used categories)

The Offset formula is Net Budgets - Net Actuals, Savings + Net Actuals, All. $0 means you have no errors in your budget. A positive value represents unallocated, but available savings. All spending from non “savings” categories removes from this bucket. All income adds to this bucket. Phantom savings show as a negative [Offset] and is always an error. I.e. you’ve “saved” more than you actually have (Thank you, @matta, for the excellent phrasing).

I hope that helps!

4 Likes