Semi-Automate Manual Accounts?

Is there a way to automate the manual entering of accounts? For example: (1) Have it read from another google sheet, (2) Automatically change the amount on a regular interval according to some formula, (3) Recognize when I pay the account from a linked account using regular expressions, etc.

Hi @sbruestle,
Regarding your questions about automatically entering transactions for manually entered accounts:

(1) Have it read from another google sheet,

You could create another Google sheet with the regularly occurring manual accounts. But you would need to use a custom Google Scripts and write a script to look at the sheet and insert transactions into the Tiller transactions sheet. You can’t add a formula that would do it on the Transactions sheet.

(2) Automatically change the amount on a regular interval according to some formula,

That other Google sheet could use formula-based rules to change the amount. Or you could change the amount with the custom script.

(3) Recognize when I pay the account from a linked account using regular expressions, etc.

You could write a formula that recognizes when you pay an account from a linked account (using regular expressions, or just a VLOOKUP() ) but then what do you want to do when it recognizes that? With formulas you could likely add a tag to the individual transaction row. But you would not be able to write a new / opposite Transactions in the Transactions sheet. Again, a custom Script could achieve this.

The above limitations are due to what Google Sheets can and can’t do, not limits from Tiller.

Jon

Thanks John for your detailed answer.

I guess this means that there is no way to do it natively in Tiller, which is what I expected. All these solutions are good ways to do this in Google sheets.