Share your feedback on the Amazon add-on here

Hello, I am new tiller user and just started exploring it this week. I downloaded all my transactions a few days ago and exploring the different Tiller solutions. Tonight, I discovered the Amazon add on, when I imported the Amazon transaction, it overwrote all my other transactions. Do I need to have the Amazon transactions as a separate worksheet or is there a way that they can be appended to my existing transactions?
I like the Amazon addon but I just need to understand how to harness it. Can you offer some guidance how the Amazon add on can work with existing transactions?
Thank you for your time, Michael

I’m sorry to hear about the challenges you ran into with the Amazon script. I have not heard this feedback from other users.

My first guess is that, on import, you checked the box that says: Filter purchases after import

If you happened to check that box, the add-on applies a Google Sheets Filter after the Amazon line items are imported. Google Sheets Filters temporarily hide rows that do not meet the filter criteria. You can tell a filter is active because the row and column headers turn green.

To turn off the filter (and hopefully restore all of your data), simply click Data / Turn off filter in the menu bar.

If this doesn’t work, let me know.
Good luck, @m.svoboda09.
Randy

Hi Randy

You are 100% correct. I didn’t realize that I selected the checkbox. I just tried ti again and it worked as I hoped.

Thank you for the email!

Michael

Glad to hear you’re back in business, @m.svoboda09.

Note: I purchased an item on Amazon that was sold by another vendor. There was a $3.99 shipping charge, which was not included in the CSV download (the price of the item itself was $6.00).

The net result is that my Amazon category ends up with a $3.99 charge (the $9.99 credit card charge, minus the $6.00 entry created by the importer) and the purchase category (Shopping, in this case) ends up with a $6.00 charge (created by the importer). This isn’t a huge problem (most of my purchases are via Amazon Prime and have no shipping charges), and I don’t know that it’s possible to do anything about it since the information is not present in the export file, but it is worth noting.

As you noted, @danheller, the Items CSV is comprehensive for line items, but only provisional on final tax and shipping costs. Final tax and shipping costs are available in the Orders CSV (from Amazon) which can be downloaded in parallel.

I’ve added a feature request to the list for an optional Orders CSV reconciliation. For most users (especially Prime customers), the Items CSV should be adequate. Some users, might prefer the exacting costing achieved by reconciling the Items CSV with the Orders CSV… even though it creates a bit more downloading and uploading work.

Thanks for your feedback.

1 Like

I can see promotions and shipping costs in the “Orders and Shipments” report, but not in the “Items” report. Haven’t checked out the “Returns” or “Refunds” report, but (given the title) I’m doubtful they’d have anything useful there.

I suppose you could cross reference the “Orders and Shipments” report by the Order ID to pull the shipping, tax, and promotions on the entire order, then somehow add that to the individual items pulled by the “Items” report, as both reports include the Order ID field, but you’d have to reference both reports to get all the relevant details.

Let me know if you’d like me to send you my “Items” and “Orders and Shipments” reports privately. (There’s nothing horribly embarrassing in my Amazon shopping history - I’m just a bit uncomfortable posting that much detail about my life publicly!)

I probably should have read the most recent comment in the thread as you’re clearly aware of the Orders report!! : P

Yes, @eliande, we’re on the same page. An optional cross-reference to the Orders report is definitely on the list for a future update to the add-on. Cheers!

My amazon importer has worked previously but is now hanging for 15+ minutes (despite it only have a few weeks worth of imports)… I have tried re-installing the plugin, re-downloading the file from amazon, nothing seems to be working.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Any suggestions for resolution?

What looks like “processing” is most likely a crash. There is probably something in this particular CSV that the script is choking on. The crash logs show a few entries that may be related to importing empty CSVs. Is it possible your CSV has no contents? If you try loading a timespan with more back/overlapping history (remember that the add-on will skip over already-loaded rows), does it work?

Randy

Hello–in my latest use of the Amazon Line Item Importer, something has now gone wrong with my Annual Budget sheet. I download all transactions to a Master Data Sheet, a few days ago I used the Amazon Line Item Importer for the second or third time. In my transactions sheet in the annual budget, there are no transactions and there is a Ref Error that says the Array was not expanded because it would overwrite data in L1 which is the Metadata column. If the path of least resistance is simply to unistall the Line Item importer and restore to prior version of Annual Budget, that is fine. I just want to get back the missing transaction data.

Hi
Thanks for your work on this. I have previously spent significant time with the Amazon data to get line item detail into excel and then into quickbooks. I have merged item & order data to get exact costs (including shipping and tax) and also done the same for returns & refunds. I forget the steps off the top of my head, but I was able to get returns on a line item basis, so that can be done. Your tool certainly simplifies the Item data, but I may stay with the less automated way via merged excel/csv. I know you mentioned a few times you may resume the order and item merge. Possibly you would also consider the return/refund portion??? :grinning: :smiley: :smiley: :smile:

I also have an Amazon Business purchase account (not a seller). I had hoped to use your tool for those purchases too, but Amz does not offer an items report in the “Business Analytics” reports. Instead then have a single Orders report that already combines Purchases and Orders in a single report. They still seem to have separate Returns and Refunds reports. If you are interested in this, I would be happy to send the business orders report to you so you can see its structure. Essentially it puts each item on a separate line with the common order ref #. It also includes the tax and shipping info on an item basis. I tried to upload this into your tool, but the tool rejected it, since the data was a bid different. Possibly you would consider enabling they data too??? :smile: :smiley: :grinning:

I am not versed in scripting so I cant be much help with your programming, but I am happy to give you sample report data and also cold look back and then describe how I merged Orders/Items and also Refunds/Returns from my consumer Amz account, to help you in that.

Thanks again for the tool!!

I’m excited to hear you were able to fully reconcile Amazon item/order data, @ccclapp. Unfortunately, I ran into too many exceptions and moved on to the current approach. At this point, I don’t plan on revisiting the fully-merged approach.

In the past week, I’ve taken a look at processing Amazon’s refund report. It looks doable but I bumped into a few challenges. I hope to get these figured out by the end of the month.

I appreciate your offer to provide the Amazon business report. That could be a good one to add. The integration of items and orders, though it will improve data integrity, presents challenges in terms of the way the processor is currently implemented. I have many projects on my plate right now so I’ll have to add that one to the backlog.

(The import rules are currently extremely narrow— as you noticed— and only recognize a single file type.)

Again, I hope to have the refund feature implemented in the coming weeks.

Thanks for the feedback,
Randy

Thanks for the update @randy. I looked again at Amz’s data for both consumer and business data exports and revisited my prior extraction/import work. I think I can add some helpful comments/suggestions. My difficulty is I am about to depart for new zealand for a few weeks, so I cant do this for w bit, however here are a few quick and likely cryptic points from memory and via my phone:

– I agree on consumer its tough to perfectly allign orders and irems for the reasons you know, including miltiple ship dates for single order

– that said, tax is included in item data so you can include that. Shipping is not so that sould be the only omission. Those on prime would have little shipping. In any event, the unmatched balance between order and items (assuning tax is in items) should be shipping

– in my case I omit your offsetting entry (your item total offset) by coding the original bank charge to cash/CC on one side and to a “contra” balance sheet or dummy CC account for the expense side. Then I code the imported Amz item data to that same balance sheet dummy / contra account (zeroing out the other side of the bank/cc entry from the bank/cc entry. I code the other side to the actual item expense category. The result is same as yours with fewer entries. As with yours , my contra account will accumulate a modest balance representing shipping cost. If desired the contra account could be an expense vs balance sheet act to pick up shipping as a cost (vs a JE to zero contra and add shipping exp)

– As to Amz business this is where the Orders report does include both items and orfer total and shipping/tax on a single report. This greatly simplifies things.

– as to matching to bank charge, I use conconate formula to memo line to start memo with Order total / item description /payment source (ie bank act or cc ref in report) so my memo can match items to bank charge in order amount (order amt = babk/cc amt). I can show you my excel that does this when I paste in Amz report columns into my master Amz excel sheet.

Serious Amz buyers may consider converting yo amz business act for free. Note 1: I uou convert act to business its free snd all existing transactions concert too so get access to far better reports w full existing history. This is for concert account option vs new account option. Note 2: converted account keeps existing Prime membership BUT business prime excludes prime video & music. I yhen opened 2bd new concumer account for vid/music/family orders/shipping and but buy on business act fot reports. Note 3 busi act allows cost codes / division / po codes etc to be required per order at checkout. This allows further codong/segregation of purchases right on amz. I have mane entities & personal to can add this split in export data csv

Sorry for cryptic. Its late abd typing on phone.

All the best

I’ve added an Amazon returns/refunds importer to the add-on.
Give it a try and let me know what you think, @ccclapp and @KLineberry.
(At this time, this workflow is still only available for non-business US Amazon accounts.)

Randy

this is an interesting chrome extension! It seems to handle individual refunds within larger orders well.

Yes… that’s the idea for both refunds and also purchases. Amazon orders often comprise so many different kinds of things. Without breaking out a credit card charge into individual line items, it is impossible to categorize transactions.

Randy