Share your financial goals for 2020, win a Tiller Money mug!

Mine are about investing. Something a little new to me and excited to learn.

1. Weekly contributions to an IRA
  2. Look into setting up a trust…
  3. Transition my existing investments to a more environmentally conscious portfolio.

I would love to have a will nailed down in 2020. Also, I would like to pay the hospital bills for the new baby without using the HSA so that money can continue to grow.

1 Like

We just bought a new house and we are finishing out renovations on it. So new goals will be:

-Find the best way to consolidate our new mortgage debt and ensure we are on the best rates
-Rebuild our “big purchase” savings for our next vehicles/other big expenses
-Focus on paying down our mortgage ahead of schedule to limit our interest payments

1 Like

My main goal for 2020 is to reduce spending on non-essential things like video games. Since I’m still in school, I want to minimize the amount of student loans I have to take out.

My primary goal for 2020 is to identify ways I can develop secondary income using my skills.

2 Likes

Pay down all remaining credit card debt as well as $15k from wedding (our wedding money was stolen 100 days before the wedding)

2 Likes

2019 was a transitional year for me as I went full-time in my business. It’s scary and exciting…exactly what being an entrepreneur is all about!

It’s an aggressive goal, but I’m aiming to pay off all of my debt (I won’t share how much but it’s a lot) except for the house by the end of 2020. Once that’s complete, I can focus on saving and investing for the future.

Tiller is a huge part of my life after using if for just a few months. I have Foundation spreadsheets for both my personal and business transactions, and another custom spreadsheet that combines account balances so that I can see my cash flow and run forecasting scenarios. I used MS Money for a long time, and when it went away, I couldn’t find a good replacement. But as an Excel nerd, Tiller is perfect. Great templates and automatic import combined with full customization for my needs. I’m a big fan!

1 Like

I am relatively new to Tiller and am still finding my way around it. However my 2020 goal is to increase my credit score from 537 to 600.
By the way one way to dramatically reduce your home heating bill is to reduce your winter set temperature by just 2 degrees and to increase your summer set temperature by 2 degrees.

1 Like

My goal is to pay off my student loans as fast as possible in 2020!

@heather,

I admire those who are “excited to learn”. The world needs more of these people. Here is some information I hope you find useful.

1. The best book I read this year on investing.
    https://investingroadmap.wordpress.com/
  2. Don’t rush into a trust, you might find you do not really need one. Over the last few months, I have completely redone my mother’s estate plan, including the revocation of her trust.
    https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/living-trust-need-unnecessary-30260.html
  3. Here is an article I read this morning on sustainable investing. Check out the main website where the article came from for tons of great stuff.
    https://humbledollar.com/2019/12/good-for-you/

It is wise to educate yourself about investing as early in life as possible. It is a fascinating area with lots to learn.

Enjoy,

Blake

I have never been one for making formal goals, but since you asked, here goes…

1. To maintain my current investment philosophy - “Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest routes to the accumulation of wealth” - John C. Bogle
  2. To dislike annuities more than Ken Fisher dislikes annuities.
  3. To maintain my investment portfolio’s cost structure of 5 basis points (that’s .0005 or .05%).
  4. To perform as well in the stock market as I did in 2019.
  5. To continue to avoid anybody that even closely resembles a financial advisor and preach the same.
  6. To instill financial discipline in my children.
  7. To continue helping my family, particularly my children, build and grow their wealth.
  8. To continue to give back and help everyone I can.
3 Likes

Here goes!

1. Get married within budget :slight_smile:
  2. Start a house down payment fund
  3. Max out my 401k contributions
  4. Develop a secondary source of income
  5. Have lower monthly expenses on Dec 2020 than Jan 2020
1 Like

We’re aiming for my wife being able to quit her job and pursue her painting and art passion full-time. Our goal for next year is to prove that we can live entirely off of my salary, so that we don’t have to rely on the much lower and much less predictable income of an artist. At the same time, our goal is do use her salary for the year to build up our daughters college fund.

Last year I was successful in finally paying off my student loans. This spring I am on track to finish paying off my car in March—something I’ve been working aggressively towards. My main goal for 2020 is to focus my efforts on maximizing my savings for a new/first house purchase. It’s going to be a great year!

Create a larger gap between my inflows and outflows. Aiming to use Tiller to track the small dollar purchases that add up to assist in my goal.

Happy almost 2020!

These goals are inspiring. They’re helping me rethink some my own goals. Just a note that we’re keeping this thread open for a few more days, and extending the offer to win a Tiller Money mug to 50 people.

My financial goals:

1. We’re having our first baby in January so understanding a baseline for costs/month using Tiller to understand what that child (and hopefully future ones) mean for our household budget
  2. Have a good understanding of how much my wife needs to work post-baby to maintain our current lifestyle and future lifestyle goals. It is to be determined after the baby is born and fortunately, she has all the flexibility she needs as she works at a hospital. Having the confidence to know how much she needs to work will be a relief for both her and me.

They aren’t tangible goals like if I were to buy a house or max out retirement, but they are peace of mind goals!

Goals for 2020

1. Pay off revolving debt on credit cards.
  2. Have $5000 in savings.
  3. STICK TO OUR BUDGET!!
1 Like

Our financial goals for 2020 are to:

1. Do a better job sticking to our budgets
  2. Put more money into savings for home renovations
  3. Effectively budget for our upcoming vacation.

Our goal for the 2020 is to better track our spendings by categories and budget. Also, try to max out retirement account.