Smart Canvas to Bring New Functionality to Google Sheets

Originally published at: Smart Canvas to Bring New Functionality to Google Sheets

Google’s new smart canvas experience will make Google Sheets more dynamic and interactive, with better project management tools, easier formulas, and new APIs.

1 Like

Is there a chance that the new API functionality would allow a programmatic way to trigger an update of Tiller Sheets through the Add-On? At the moment I use the Google API to grab data collected by Tiller Sheets, but if I want Tiller to update I must manually open the Tiller Money Feeds Add-On.

2 Likes

Hey @Dataphile, great question!

I don’t think there’s anything in there that would directly help with this. However it is a problem we’re wanting to solve and keeping an eye on possible solutions.

Just to get a better sense of your use case – would your scenario be better served by something like a web hook that you could configure when there is new data for your accounts? Or a Zapier integration of some kind? I’ve been finding that many times people asking for this particular kind of feature would actually prefer to bypass Google Sheets altogether, so I’m curious if that applies here as well.

1 Like

You’ve got my use case correct. I’m using Google Sheets API, but it’s really just an interface to grab data and store it on my own server. Everything works fairly decently, except that there’s no way to programmatically trigger an update of the sheets. For instance, Capital One requires me to manually update with a texted code, and if I want the new data to update in Google Sheets, I’ve got to manually trigger an update with the Add On.

If I could just use a web hook or get to the data through another direct interface, that would be preferable.

2 Likes