Tiller Money Labs Roundup 2/2/21 - Savings Budget Improvements

@cculber2 I think we’re on the same page with the savings+budget metrics. I’m having a hard time coming up with a better solution, though, since the way it is now does make sense logically. It’s just not the most useful for me personally, so I stick with the current month metrics.

I do something similar to your discretionary & emergency savings categories, although I just have one. It more or less represents all of the unallocated money in my bank account. I use it like you do, to redistribute to other categories, or very rarely I’ll just categorize a large purchase to it (like buying a car). But it does do some odd things with metrics and with the group totals.

I’m not sure exactly what the solution might be, but maybe a new Category Type could handle this sort of category? Leave it off of the metrics but still on the budget. Also I haven’t used the Savings & Debt sheet, but maybe this new category type could help those (presumably) large rollover amounts not show up on the Savings Budget metrics? If I’m understanding that sheet correctly. I haven’t spent much time thinking about how exactly that would work though, let me know what you guys think.

1 Like