Tiller Money Live: Community webinar + Q&A

About this webinar

Every other week @randy and @heather will be hosting a community webinar to demo one Tiller Labs tool, solution, or workflow and offer “office hours” where you can ask your questions about other Labs features and solutions.

If you need help with basic set up join our Weekly Foundations Webinar.

Click here to register.

Details on future webinars below.

Register even if you can’t attend and we’ll send you a link to the recording and Q&A.

The demos will be quick so we’ll have plenty of time for Q&A. Please keep in mind that we will likely defer more complex questions or demos for future webinar sessions.

Upcoming Topics

Spending Money

August 20 @ 10AM PT / 1PM ET

The Spending Money sheet will help you understand how much discretionary spending you have to spend on a daily, weekly, or monthly interval. It’s a minimalists budgeting option.

Click here to register and choose the August 20 date.

Using Tags with Transactions and Categories

September 3 @ 10AM PT / 1PM ET

Learn how to use tags for more granular control over transaction reporting in your Tiller Money powered Google Sheet with the help of the Tags report and Category Rollup report from Labs.

Click here to register and choose the September 3rd date.

Past Topics

Transaction Splitter from Tiller Labs

May 7 at 10AM PST
Recording here

Learn how to split transactions among multiple categories.

Category & Budget Rollup Reports

May 21 at 10AM PST
Recording here

Drill down to better understand where your money is going in specific categories and which transactions caused overages in your budget.

Envelope & Zero Sum Budgeting Tools

June 4, 2020 at 10AM PST
Recording here

In this webinar we explored the Envelope budgeting tool via the Tiller add-on for Google Sheets. Learn how to install the template, get started for basic budgeting, and turn on the rollover features for zero sum or envelope budgeting.

The guide for the template featured in this webinar is here. This template is supported by our team in the Tiller Money Community. Our customer success team reached via email or chat does is not able to resolve issues or answer questions about this template. Of course, they’re always happy to help with data feed issues or other core product questions. Read more about our support on the Help Center here.

We also discuss the differences between the different add-ons we offer.

Manually adding & reconciling transactions

June 25 @ 10AM PT / 1PM ET
Recording here

Learn how to use the Tiller Money Labs add-on to add manual transactions and flag them for reconcile. Great for cash flow and budget projections.

How to track cash

July 9 @ 10AM PT / 1PM ET
Recording here

Learn best practices for tracking cash transactions in your Tiller Money Powered spreadsheets.

Migration Helper

July 23 @ 10AM PT / 1PM ET

Learn how to use the Migration Helper in the Tiller Money Labs add-on to transition customized data from one Tiller Money-powered Google Sheet to another.

What is the Migration Helper? The Migration Helper (in Tiller Money Labs) will help you migrate enriched personal-finance data—(e.g. categories, splits, manual balances, etc.) from an old “source” Tiller Money spreadsheet to a new “destination” Tiller Money spreadsheet.

When Do I Need Migration Helper?

• Move from a Feedbot to a Tiller Money Feeds spreadsheet
  • Start over in a new clean spreadsheet without losing history
  • Merged enriched account data into another spreadsheet

What Does Migration Helper Migrate?

• Transaction categories
  • Transactions-sheet columns
  • Transactions splits
  • Manual transactions
  • Non-feeds transactions (e.g. Import CSV)
  • Manual balances entries
  • AutoCat rules
  • New Categories

Debt Progress

August 6 @ 10AM PT / 1PM ET

Learn how to use the Tiller Money Labs Debt Progress sheet to build your customized Debt Freedom plan.

Q&A

Transaction Splitter Demo - May 7, 2020

Do you intend to make the envelope budget sheet compatible with the main sheets?
We don’t currently have a roadmap to make the envelope budgeting features compatible with the Foundation template.

Love the tool. I’ve noticed it uses same transaction ID for each new split - will that cause any problems later (multiple transaction rows with the same transaction ID)
There are no known issues with the splits using the same transaction ID.

Do I need to click on the Description column for the row I want to split or can I click on any column in the row?
You can select any cell in the row for the transaction you want to split.

Heather and Randy, What are your favorite solutions?
Randy: The Weekly Analysis sheet from Tiller Labs.
Heather: The Monthly Analysis sheet from Tiller Labs.

can you use the splitter for investments?
Yes, you can use it for any type of transaction, but the workflow might be a bit different.

Automatic way to split/enter paycheck deductions like 401k, health insurance, etc?
There isn’t an automated way to do this with the splitter or other add-on/tool. You could use the manual transaction add tool in Tiller Labs to add them one by one or you could stage them in a separate sheet and add multiple rows each month. More in the community on that here

Category & Budget Rollup Reports - May 21, 2020

Please go ahead and show us some of the customization you mentioned.
The Category and Budget rollup reports both have a hidden report template tab that you can customize in certain spots to add a custom name, logo, or other formatting. Watch the recording here for a demo.

Sorry. A basic question- My budget screen does not show TILLER LABS. Does this mean that I haven’t added the add-ons?
You will need to install the Tiller Labs add-on via the Gsuite Marketplace. It’s a separate add-on from the one that feeds data to your sheet. More on that here.

when doing manual additions to the transactions worksheets, which of the columns are optional versus required; i.e. Categorized Date/ Date added & Month/Week…do you need to calculate these and add?
The answer to this question really depends on the report or dashboard you’re looking at after you add the Transaction, but in general only the date, description, category, and amount columns are required. Categorized Date is automatically updated by AutoCat as a way to indicate when AutoCat did it’s job. Month and Week are helpful for your own custom reports although there is a bug with the Monthly Budget sheet in the Foundation template right now where if you add a transaction to row 2 and do not include the Month data, the transaction won’t be calculated into the Monthly Budget dashboard. We’ll get this fixed soon.

You can manually add month data using this help guide and week data using this help guide.

In the example, you have a column called Notes. Where was that column added ? In the Transactions tab. My Transactions sheet does not have the notes column. I’m I okay to add it without breaking anything?
You can add it to your Transactions sheet (click the column header and insert 1 right or left and title it Note - singular - and it will work in the reports demoed in this session.

Can you create graphs to show % by category of spending per month
We recommended that this question be posted in the Tiller Money Community to get some information there more quickly or we may choose to do a demo of how to create this for yourself in a future session.

I remember a comment about implementing automated credit score data in the past. Are there current plans to add score monitoring to tiller? Thank you
We don’t have anything on our short term road map for included automated credit score data.

i want to see how my spending this month compares to all the previous months on a running basis - by category. any way to do this already or is it something i need to create
Check out the Monthly Analysis sheet.

Hi, I know this is a basic question, but I’m having difficulty getting one of my accounts to sync. What options are there for getting sync issues resolved with lesser-known banks?
Reach out to our support team via the chat tool on our help center or the Console at https://sheets.tillerhq.com/auth/google and go through the bot flow to give them the right information to get started with the troubleshooting.

Can you clarify the best way to account for contributions to saving accounts (529s, ROTH IRAs)? I have my accounts connected to tiller and also budget for them. However, the problem is I categorize them as a “Transfer” which means it doesn’t count as an actual.
Recommend searching the community for the answer on that. Here’s a little bit that’s already out there on this question.

Is it okay to manually change the description column on a transaction from the automatic feed?
It’s totally okay to clean up and edit descriptions for transactions and this won’t affect the feed. The edit is only being made in the current sheet you’re using and won’t appear in future sheets.

Envelope Budget - June 4, 2020

The guide for the template featured in this webinar is here. This template is supported by our team in the Tiller Money Community. Our support team via email or chat does is not able to resolve issues or answer questions about this template. Of course, they’re always happy to help with data feed issues or other core product questions. Read more about our support on the Help Center here.

Hi! I have been using Tiller since Nov. I used the Auto Cat but not it doesn’t work. I am a financial planner and been introducing Tiller to clients. I want to learn more!
We recommend onboarding clients to the Foundation template vs this envelope budget. We have a special section in the community for financial professionals with resources on how best to use Tiller Money with clients. Please complete this form for next steps on gaining access to these resources.

As far as AutoCat not working, please reach out to our support team via the chat tool in the lower right corner of the Console at https://sheets.tillerhq.com/auth/google

Can you say again (if you already did) where the list of shortcut commands is hosted?
You can learn more about the envelope budget shortcut commands here.

How would I break up charges on a credit card to itemize into categories?
Generally credit card transactions come through and are associated with the actual spending so when you use your credit card at the gas station so you’d just categorize it as “gas.” If you’re needing to split transactions for purchases that span multiple categories, you can use the Splitter workflow in Labs add-on.

is there a way to tie recurring bills or expenses to this budget starter sheet or the foundation template sheet?

One recommendation is to have these transactions staged in a separate sheet, for things like paycheck deductions. You can also use the Labs add-on to manually add transactions and then reconcile them when we bring them in automatically.

I’m wondering if, since the Envelope Budgeting Starter Sheet and the Foundation Template sheets are separate, is there to be any connection between the two data-wise. Are they meant to stay independent from each other?

They aren’t really MEANT to be independent, but at this point they are not compatible because the functionality and implementation are pretty different. The Migration Helper in the Labs add-on can help migrate data to a new sheet if you’d like to move from a Foundation template budget to try envelope budgeting.

"I am using the foundation template. How can I remove that
budget tool and use this one? Also, if I setup a monthly budget for one month, will that be copied over to future months?"

Recommend just starting in a fresh sheet and then using the Migration Helper in the Labs add-on can help migrate data to a new sheet if you’d like to move from a Foundation template budget to try envelope budgeting.

What additional information does the Manual Transaction download for Amazon give you beside what already populates daily into Transactions?
The CSV Line Item Importer tool allows you to get line item detail for Amazon purchases to help you clarify how money was spent on an Amazon order, since these often span multiple categories.

Manually adding & reconciling transactions - June 25, 2020

If each month you have a standard set of manual transactions with the same description, vendor, etc… is there anyway to streamline the entry so you don’t have to input each one individually each month?
Yes, the best way is to create a Recurring Transactions sheet and stage them there then just paste into the Transactions sheet so you don’t have to do each one over and over. Here is the example sheet we demoed. Feel free to make a copy of this to use in your own sheet. Just remember to use Paste Special > Values only when copying from the Recurring Transactions sheet to the Transactions sheet.

I use “split transaction” for my monthly paychecks, where I include tax withholdings, HSA deposits, etc. If I enter this manually, would it be able to reconcile with the single deposit transaction that shows up from the bank?
You could use the same “Recurring Transactions sheet” above.

If you wanted to load in a number of repetitive monthly manual expenses (that you are not going to need to reconcile against anything)…can you do so for the rest of the year now and be done with it. Will that cause any reporting issues?
It wouldn’t cause any issues with the feed or in the sheet.

Transactions are for actual deposits or withdrawals. When credit card statement arrives, it shows a date 3 or 4 weeks in the future when a withdrawal will occur. I’m wondering if manual transaction would show that future liability?
Yes, you could add the statement balance transaction to be paid manually to the sheet to show that future liability.

Tracking cash - July 9, 2020

Can you start with say under the mattress cash (an initial cash balance) , that may have occurred before an ATM transaction has been posted to Tiller transaction sheet?
Yes, if you’re tracking the balance in the Balances sheet using the Tiller Money Feeds add-on manual balance option you add the balance of the cash there with whatever date you like. If you’re using the automated balance for cash based on Transactions you may also want to enter a transaction for the starting balance.

I have transactions in two currencies - USD and Mexican pesos. My Mexican transactions are all in cash or from accounts not supported by Tiller. I’m fine tracking balances etc. in USD; I’ve been manually inputting USD values based on either the transaction-date exchange rates or (when possible) the exchange rate from whenever I turned dollars into pesos. Wondering if you have ideas for how to make that process a little less manual?
We’re primarily focused on USD right now so we don’t have great specifics on how to handle multiple currencies. The best thread going right now is here: Currency conversion while adding Indian bank accounts and loan accounts

Migration Helper - July 23, 2020

If I added a manual transaction without using the Manual Transaction tool, will it include that in the migration?
The simple answer is yes. It’s worth noting that a transaction added by hand will come into your destination spreadsheet through a slightly different pathway. Manual Transactions created by the Tiller Money Labs add-on are assigned a unique Transaction ID with a format like manual:0acd149b-8e24-4a3b-b1a7-01c3600fc574. Such transactions are recognized by the Migration Helper and migrated when the Manually Created option is set to Migrate All. If you added a transaction “by hand”, you probably wouldn’t have populated the Transaction ID column, so that would migrate based on your No Transaction ID setting (i.e. a similar pathway to Import CSV Line Items transactions).

Is this process only for Feedbot or other earlier Tiller Sheet? Or, could it be used to migrate exported data from another financial tool?
The Migration Helper is designed to work with all Tiller Money spreadsheets. It works great with Feedbot-to-Tiller-Money-Feeds migrations as well as Tiller-Money-Feeds-to-Tiller-Money-Feeds migrations. It may work with data from other finance tools but only if the column headers match up to Tiller’s standards. Your best bet for data from other finance tools is using the Import CSV Line Items workflow if import rules are available for your source data.

Is there a rollback feature if you make a mistake with the migration?
You can use the version-history/restore functionality built into all Google Sheets to rollback your spreadsheet if you are not satisfied. Only the destination spreadsheet is affected; no changes are made to the source spreadsheet.

Will there be a Financial Coaches portal in the future?
We hope so! Working with financial professionals and their clients is a new frontier for us at Tiller Money so we don’t currently have an estimate on when that might be available. If you’re a financial professional interested in using Tiller Money with your clients, join the invite-only Financial Pros group in the Tiller Money Community. Just complete this form for next steps: https://forms.gle/bP9nrydwJjHLEWM67

Debt Progress - August 6, 2020

Great Sheet! Thank you!..However on my sheet when either “Avalanche” or “Lowest Ranked First” is selected in the Payoff Method, the “Remaining Interest”, “Estimated Paid Off” & “Monthly Payment” columns are not populating with data. What might be the cause? Thank you.
You can try restoring the sheet using Tiller Money Labs or if that doesn’t work, reach out in the Community here

I’ve been using the debt progress sheet for a while. it seems to work even without having the debt category. so, how does that workflow affect the sheet? I ask because I don’t really see useful changes in the chart on the right.

Using the recommended category workflows for budgeting are not required to use the Debt Progress sheet. You can simply use this as a way to track debt and build a payoff plan.

something new you showed me today is a category for Interest. even though it comes through as a separate transaction, isn’t it already counted in the minimum payment or any extra money you pay towards that debt?
Interest charges that come through from the credit card are separate expenses and even though a portion of your minimum payment is going toward interest this is just a category to use for those transactions. You could have this as a hidden expense category so it doesn’t get counted in your budget or double counted against what you’ve paid toward debt, but gives you something to use for those transactions when you see them come through as these charges are for new interest accrued and not the amount of interest you actually paid with your last payment.

I am using the zero based budget sheet and wondering how to capture savings goals…would I just add it as a category?
I’d recommend checking out the savings goal section in the guide for that template.

Can you show how the rollovers work in the envelope budget?

I’d recommend checking out the webinar we ran on that template here.

4 Likes