This is a bad problem for me, and may cause me to leave Tiller if I can’t find a workaround. I built my own reports in tabs, since the views I wanted aren’t provided by default. I’m using Google Sheet formulas to assemble the data in my reports, and learned many of the formulas by looking at what Tiller was doing. Any change in my spreadsheet (typing a character) retriggers most of the calculations to start all over again, which is painfully slow when compounded with network calls to Google servers.
Things I’ve tried to fix this:
- splitting out my older transactions into another tab (>3 years old). Like other users here, I have many years of financial history from prior tools. This helped, but also excludes this data from my reports which I don’t like
- researching on the internet what I could do to speed things up, trying suggestions one by one, none of which made a difference.
- verifying that removing all my custom tabs does speed things up. Alas, then I don’t have the reports I want.
The root of my slowdown seems to me to be that I can’t stop all auto recalculation from happening any time a change is made in the file. I spent weeks learning Google Sheets functions to build the reports that I have, which are non-performant. From what I can tell, the next step would be for me to learn to code Google Apps in their external environment (so I could code a manual start/stop trigger function per report, and do all calculations outside of the spreadsheet in code instead of inline using cell formulas). That’s an expensive skillset I don’t want to invest in.
If anyone has figured out how to stop automatic triggering of recalculation on normal cell formulas – without external code – please please share!