Tiller's Template Builder's Reference

Over the years, our team at Tiller has thought a lot about how to build templates that are intuitive, helpful, performant, inspiring, and easy to integrate. We’ve received years of feedback from users and have adapted and improved how we, the Tiller Labs team, builds.

We had collected these learnings and best practices in an internal document called the Template Builder’s Reference. As we see interest within this community of users sharing their templates and workflows with other users, we have decided to share this living document:

191031_TillerBuildersGuideIcon
Template Builder’s Reference

We hope this resource helps you build for yourself— and for others— and share new finance tools and workflows.

Cheers,
Randy, Jon and the Tiller Labs team

P.S. Don’t forget to let us know how to keep making the Template Builder’s Reference better.

Good info here on best practices and how Tiller sheets work.

1 Like

Every new customer should be directed here. I have struggled with the Foundation sheet for 5 days before coming across this jewel. Please make it a new customer recommended read.

4 Likes

Glad to hear you’ve found this reference helpful, @4edjennings. We worry that it may be overwhelming to many users.

1 Like

Yes, it is too much for a newby. That’s why I suggest Tiller Money develop a User Manual. The Builder’s Reference is for Advanced users already familiar with Tiller sheets. We desperately need some guidance for new users. Like I said: An ounce of instruction is worth a pound of troubleshooting.

3 Likes

This doc is brilliant! I’m curious whether it’s still totally up to date?

I’m glad you like it, @acjay.

Honest truth… we haven’t updated that in a year or two. I’d say it is still 80-90% accurate though it would definitely benefit from some clean up. Hoping we will get to that in the coming months.

1 Like

I’ve been searching for something like this for days, hooray! Just knowing how the data feed interacts with the sheet is so helpful. Reading comments above, I do understand that this isn’t widely published to avoid intimidating new users, so maybe tiller could ask if you’re an advanced excel/sheets user, and then show you this if appropriate. I’d also say a lot was repeated, the real gem in that document for me was understanding how the feed interacts with the sheet, the reserved column headers, how tiller finds columns to update them, and the fact that tiller only ever pushes once to a given sheet.

1 Like

Welcome to the community, @samroesch ! And thanks for your feedback here.

2 posts were split to a new topic: “Array result was not expanded” error

Is there a quick reference for common actions, like “Select an account from a list and pull the current balance”? Or should I try to copy all of that from the existing core template?