Tithing with envelope budget

Hi there,
I’ve been getting my envelope budget set up and I have a category for tithing. We pay 10% of our income to tithing. I would love to set up my budget for tithing to be a reflection of a percentage of whatever income we make that month (our income varies slightly month to month). I’ve been setting my budget for each category by using the simple formula of, for ex. b=100. I’ve tried things such as b=h20/10 or b=h20*.1 and it won’t parse the formula. any suggestions to automate this?

Thank you!

@CGuevara Can you try =“B=”&0.1*J35

Cell J35 can be changed to the cell of your actual income . When inputing the formula on the Envelope Budget, the script requires that prefix. It may be worth manually calculating the 10% each month and then manually typing that amount since the formula is removed once input.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Hi @CGuevara,

To preface, I’m assuming you’re using the Envelope Budget. Are you talking about adding the formula to your main budget sheet, where it shows your budget for the month? That sheet is a dashboard and all of the data in it is all generated by some complex formulas, I really wouldn’t recommend changing things there.

I know it may take some effort to switch, but I’m a big fan of the Savings Budget, which you can find out more about here: Add the Savings Budget sheet

It has nearly all of the functionality of the Envelope Budget, but it’s based on the Tiller Foundation Budget. In this template, the Categories sheet shows your budgets for every month all in one place. This is where it is easy to use formulas to calculate your budget like you’re trying to do. I’d encourage you to check it out!

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m looking into that. This is a powerful system, but has a little bit of a learning curve. Thx for your feedback!

thx for your response! I’m trying your suggestions. but if I can’t figure it out, perhaps manually is just the way to go. Thx!

@CGuevara yeah there’s for sure a learning curve, it took me a while to get used to how it all works. If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

1 Like