USAA transactions and balances not updating

Hmm, given that you posted this at 1:26AM EDT - I’m wondering if they are blocking refreshes during certain hours :thinking: - what time was it locally when you updated and it worked @jfhitchcock07 - perhaps that’s a clue.

I know Fidelity, Vanguard, Etc block Yodlee during certain times of the day.

It’s typically earlier in the evening…but if I posted at 0126 EDT, then locally it would have been about 0015 central. That would make sense if they are blocking refreshes. I tried several times and it didn’t work as expected. Just tried right now (2132 centrally locally) and it refreshed fine. :slight_smile:

I’m envious, I’ll keep trying this but it has not worked so far. I haven’t been able to refresh USAA for 52 days now.

FWIW after about a quarter century of using USAA for all my banking needs, I’ve moved over to Schwab bank because they support open banking.

2 Likes

Any updates from USAA or Yodlee?

2 Likes

im considering the same. USAA has been great for the last 15 years, but my banking needs have vastly changed. Have you found any cons/experienced any buyers remorse moving banks? Im considering moving to BofA

@blueman9 we check in with Yodlee weekly to see if they have any updates on the page load issue.

In response to my email to them yesterday, our contact says “I am sorry but we have still not heard from USAA about the solution or timelines,” which indicates that they (Yodlee) need help from USAA in order to fix the issue.

I encourage customers to contact USAA directly and ask to speak to a member of the technical/website engineering team. Tier 1 support you reach initially will have no awareness that Yodlee and USAA have a direct relationship, they’ll just say something like “we don’t work with 3rd party tools”

I haven’t heard from a customer so far that they’ve been able to reach someone that actually has awareness of the issue so if you do get to someone who understands, please share more details about how to reach that person specifically here so others can call/write to bug this person.

Honestly, I think that’s the only way this is going to get some movement from USAA.

2 Likes

I’m back to no transactions updating…very bizarre since I’ve had little trouble since I started using them for my banking needs. I just made the switch to USAA from Wells Fargo. Hope I didn’t make the wrong choice. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I use the CyberText security option and haven’t been able to update in over 2 months.

Quick thoughts / observation: USAA did finally complete a transition to their new web front end (the USAA website content) and within that they have their “CSV” export on a per account basis. This CSV format was changing over the last 2 years - and is now stabilized in the new format. I only mention this since it’s attached to their primary export API of which Yoodle/Yoddle (not sure the spelling) consumes it and passes along to Tiller. At this time if you rename USAA accounts within their App/Portal the name change is reflected within Tiller - so authentication is working (albeit the code sent to your mobile). Also, the account balances are showing correctly this week. It’s just the transaction aren’t - but that is now highly likely the Yoodle ETL (data transformation from the USAA data APIs to their known format for Tiller) requires an update to the fields/column mapping due to the additional columns USAA is publishing within their recent update.

@jamels I agree. I have an account that can still log in using pin-only. I started a fresh sheet. Transactions loaded only until 5/6/22. All my asset balances are old and inaccurate, BUT all my liability balances are current and correct. This implies that authentication with USAA and data transfer from USAA are working. Which leads me to believe the problem is either Yodlee or Tiller.

I am not sure why my transactions stop in May. It sounds like some of you stopped in August. Could be ETL process changes, but wondering if it could be something else, too.

Does anyone still have a working USAA account to compare to?

@jamels thanks for your thoughts here. @George this issue lies squarely between Yodlee and USAA. Yodlee indicates it is in USAA’s court to change/fix something that will resume reliable connections for all account types, further indicating it is a “page load issue” - each page could have a different structure behind the scenes so just because some element of it is working doesn’t mean all elements will work, especially if they’ve recently done a big website overhaul. Those types of changes are generally what we see that break the connections with institutions.

Yodlee uses a “screen scraping” integration to get the data, not a direct API or whatever ELT you’re referring to @jamels so the fact that the CSV export columns changed doesn’t play into this issue.

Thanks @heather for the update. I wasn’t aware Yodlee was screen-scraping. Then I’m guessing all my data up to May is being populated from Tiller’s DB?

If I go in and manually add those new transactions, what will happen when the automation is fixed?
Is there a way to edit the balances manually? When I tried to do it, I got errors in the sheet.

Hi @George - if you’re seeing data in the sheet then yes, it’s in our database.

Here is our guide on manually tracking and expectations when there is an outage like this.

You can insert rows in the Balance History sheet to manually track balances for these accounts.

If you’re seeing errors like “Head’s up! You’re trying to edit part of this sheet that shouldn’t be changed accidentally. Edit anyway?” that means your edit would be affecting row 1, the header row. If you’re just trying to turn on the filter/sort that’s fine, just be sure not to edit the header keywords (Date, Account Balance, etc) or displace the header row out of position 1.

@heather I saw that the ETA has changed to 10/17… A week ago you stated that Yodlee said "I am sorry but we have still not heard from USAA about the solution or timelines,” - is that just kicking it out another week or do you really have a response from USAA on the fix? Does Yodlee have a contact they are working with? I’m confused… Besides the tiller customers reaching out to USAA how us can we get movement from USAA? I can certainly reach out as well to USAA. I was LOVING tiller for 2 years until this and if I have to keep updating manually - that will really suck.

+1, this is my first forum post, and it’s to say that i’m sad that i cant sync my usaa account. please push yodlee to fix. love tiller tho, keep goin!

1 Like

I too have this issue. My USAA balances last updated on Sept 20. I can refresh my USAA accounts just fine on the tillerhq “accounts summary” page, though it always takes a few minutes. I’m inputting a security code that I get from the usaa app on my phone. But when I go to “fill sheets” in the spreadsheet, nothing is coming over from USAA. I’ve been banking with USAA for 30 years and am loath to change banks, but I also don’t want to quit using Tiller. If this persists, I will have to do one of those.

2 Likes

The date here is coming from Yodlee, but I think they are just continually pushing it out a week at a time.

They do have a contact there, but so far they’re not getting very far with the progress of the issue.

I reach out to my contact at Yodlee weekly on the issue, but I was out last week so I don’t have another update here, other than he did confirm that the issue is with a separate USAA site specific to aggregators like Yodlee, not one that customers would log into and hence why logging in directly to USAA and accessing the transactions page on that site works fine.

Welcome @rpmd and @schneidler ! :wave: sorry your first post was about this frustrating USAA connection issue. Hope you find some other interesting/cool stuff to post about here in the Tiller Community.

Thank you for the updates on progress, I’m sure things will sort out though USAA is currently stubborn (overly so, but hey “they’re secure” right?) haha – I’m hoping that Yoddle is not screen scraping however, there was mention about a web or API that they’re hitting separately from consumer web interface - absolutely please target a native API dataset for the long term. Overall, screen scraping is a super bad thing since simple changes in a web page design will break the data flow. Beyond this instance of USAA being a pain, Tiller is awesome - thank you! Tiller certainly abstracts the complexities of getting the transactional details, working amazing well for sources such as Chase, Fidelity, Amex, etc… USAA just needs to understand that their user base is getting more advanced in their asks.

1 Like