USAA transactions and balances not updating

Thanks @heather FYI this might not mean anything, but I see the below in my browser console when trying to refresh. Kind of seems to suggest that Yodlee is rejecting the tiller authentication. I am still getting this new(ish) error too.

[Report Only] Refused to send form data to ‘https://usyirestmasternode.yodleeinteractive.com/authenticate/tillerllc/?channelAppName=usyirestmaster’ because it violates the following Content Security Policy directive: “form-action usyinode.stage.yodleeinteractive.com at.alicdn.com”.

@CaptainDrew the report only csp header stuff is just that, report only so it’s not actually blocking anything, but I’ll pass to our engineering team anyway.

The issue with USAA is squarely in USAA’s boat. Once again, Yodlee needs USAA’s cooperation and they are not being cooperative or responsive at this point.

@kyle I can’t share specifics and folks at USAA will not really know who Tiller is but rather Yodlee, our data provider. USAA is a high volume site, meaning they are in the list of institutions that make up 95% of the refresh volume among all institutions across Yodlee’s entire network of more than 20K institutions.

@robdog151 this is surprising to me. Per my note above, I don’t really think USAA has any awareness of Tiller. The refresh is expected to succeed but no transactions will come through due to the page load issue.

This… has been driving me insane for the last two months… I’m glad I found the thread because at least miserly loves company. I suspect because USAA has refreshed their whole site in the last few months and now Tiller won’t connect. Personal Capital and Mint work fine to pull data from USAA even after the refresh, but Tiller cannot handle it. I’ve tried to reconnect every few days and have spent so much frustration waiting for cybercode and then seeing Tiller fail to connect. My primary checking accounts are all at USAA and I don’t want to move to another bank just for Tiller, but I love Tiller more than USAA… so very frustrating!

2 Likes

Mint is not surprising, but Personal Capital also uses Yodlee. We’ve done some internal testing on Personal Capital and it wasn’t working for us. Are you sure Personal Capital is bringing in Transactions?

Are you using Cyber Token or Cyber Text?

What type of error are you getting in Tiller’s system?

This is weird that it’s working for you. I can’t get mine to work either… LUCKY!

@heather my refresh isn’t even working anymore. I just get the following message (I’m not logged in anywhere):

Aha! You’re right Heather… Personal Capital is only refreshing balances and hasn’t pulled in transactions since 10/13. I have the same message that @blashley777 is getting as well. “Site session terminated” from within the Tiller panel. I have tried both cybertext and cybercode options and neither works. In the past, before the USAA update, I had better luck with cybercode than cybertext.

I think it’s time to put some pressure on the higher-ups at USAA. Amala Duggirala is the CIO. She joined USAA 10mo ago. I think she needs to be badgered on her linkedin to finally get this fixed.

4 Likes

Appealing to the CIO (Amala Duggirala) may work, but the internal debate about supporting Open Banking APIs (OAUTH) is likely between the CTO, the CTO (Jeff Calusinski) and the CISO (Jason Witty), none of whom are going to move on this issue unless it ties into the CEOs (Wayne Peacock) long term (LTI) or short term (STI) goals.

Those goals are set by the USAA Board of Directors who aren’t going to pay attention to us until we can show that some portion of USAA’s 16M members would benefit from this.

I recommend someone create an online petition we can circulate amongst our friends and social networks to see if we can gain traction. Looking at Change.org, there have been two petitions of USAA in the past (both with <1K signatures) that didn’t seem to have changed their behavior, so we need to aim for >1K if we can.

We should try to appeal to their 100y history of starting with just 25 officers who wanted to help each other, and how that grew into the institution it is today. That tied with the “Leave No Service Member Behind” theme, we should talk about tieing up our financial information in their system is effectively doing this.

Just my 2 cents.

4 Likes

I have a call with our new account manager at Yodlee on Thursday. His last update to me about USAA was that they were “working diligently to get USAA online with an open banking (OAUTH) based connection” - let’s hang tight until I have a chance to dig in with him further to see if that’s really on deck for the short term as that will definitely solve all of this pain.

5 Likes

I’ve just gotten off the phone with USAA website technical support and the gentleman who took my feedback was very helpful - I requested open banking support. He relayed that they have been getting a lot of calls about issues like this and issues with their new online banking framework in general. I don’t know if that helps us much, but perhaps there are enough voices to make a dent. Looking forward to hearing what comes out of your conversation Thursday, Heather! Switching banks after 26 years would be a lot of admin, but less than importing all these transactions manually.

2 Likes

I also contacted USAA but was less successful. The rep didn’t even know what Open Banking or Yodlee were at all. So, like others, I am planning to switch banks unless @heather tells us later this week that USAA is coming to their senses before the end of the year.

Also: I’ve created a Feature Request for a shared Bank Status sheet (similar to Institution Outages) that we could use to find a bank that plays nicely with Tiller so we don’t have to guess. Vote if you agree!

1 Like

Hi @chrisgp123 thanks for reaching out to them. I’ll definitely keep this updated with what I learn. I do not expect the open banking to be enabled by the end of the year, just a head up on that, but I’ll share what I can in terms of timelines.

As far as the list that plays nicely with Tiller anything listed as full support here generally is going to work better, though USAA is breaking that rule: Tiller's List of Supported Financial Institutions (October 2022) - Google Sheets

Anything on our open banking list is going to have the most reliable connection: Updating open banking enabled connections | Tiller Help Center

3 Likes

Thanks @heather that’s helpful!

Awesome! That’s great to hear :smiley:

I am also having issues with the USAA updating stuff, but why does the correct USAA balance get emailed to me everyday and not fill in the balance to the google sheet? It has to be updating somewhere to have the correct balance. Is there a google sheet I need to fix?

Can you reach out to support about this directly using the chat tool in the lower right corner of the Console at https://sheets.tillerhq.com/auth/login? You can just ask the team to pass to me. I need to look at your accounts’ specific logs and will need some other details not appropriate to share via the community here. Thanks.

Just sharing an update here that we don’t have a timeline on when USAA might offer Yodlee an open banking (OAUTH) based connection. I didn’t expect they would give us anything concrete but I did push.

So your best bet at this point is to manually track. I’m not sure if they (USAA) will engage on fixing the broken integration if they are working to enable oauth based connections as that would be the smarter investment.

Feel free to reach out to USAA directly and push them to work with Yodlee | Envestnet (not Tiller specifically) to enable an OAUTH based connection. It’s between Yodlee and USAA to figure this out.

I’ll keep checking in weekly on it, but I don’t expect a short time to resolution on this.

4 Likes

I didn’t see it if it is in the chat, but to change USAA from a connected account to a manual account if you place manual: in front of the last input from USAA Account ID then it will show up in your manual accounts in the drop down. Do not change the number just put manual: in front of it. When USAA starts working again then you can remove manual: from all the transactions you entered.

1 Like

Congrats everyone! One month down as of today! We’ve broken the record! USAA! USAA! USAA!

:face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like