Welcome Tiller Money Memo readers to the new Tiller Money Community!

Excited to be part of this community! Thanks Tiller team, I think this will be a super valuable resource for us all :slight_smile:

Here are some of my favorite tips:

Ctrl + \ (or Cmd on Mac) to remove all formatting
Ctrl + Shift + V to paste as values
Shift + S to create a new Sheet in your Drive folder
Shift + F11 to create a new tab in your Sheet
Type sheets.new into your browser to create a new Sheet

Hover over the column headers line to see a grab hand and drag that down to freeze the top row(s). Also works for columns.

Grab the base of the formula bar until you see the cursor change into a little double-ended arrow. Then click and drag down to make the formula bar as wide as you want.

The ArrayFormula, curly brackets {} and the QUERY function covered by Tim above are all phenomenal tools to have in your toolbelt.

Other functions worth learning are INDEX, MATCH, VLOOKUP, FILTER.

Knowing that spreadsheets store dates as 5-digit numbers. For example, today 9/13/19 is stored as the number 43721 (change the formatting to a number to see).

Ctrl + ; inserts the current date into a cell.

Double clicking on a date in a cell brings up the date picker.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

LOVE IT! :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Right on! I must type that in 20 times a day now :rofl:

1 Like

This is a great one, as using the menu to do the freeze (and finding where it is) is not easy. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I love shortcuts, they make things SO fast. I didn’t know a lot of these, thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

(1) I like the Generate Reports under Add-ons/Tiller/Business. I create a P&L report every month which shows all the previous months in the year for comparison purposes.

(2) Also, I created a Portfolio tab that tracks all my investments by account, position, and lot using googlefinance formulae. It updates constantly throughout the trading day and lets me know instantly where I stand regarding every position I own, including my current paper gain/loss.

(3) I do not use it as often as I should, but the Yearly Insights tab is pretty powerful.

I use Tiller daily as it allows me to track my finances better than I could do before using Tiller. I have been a user for about 9 months.

I like Tiller as they seem to be continually inventing, investing in the future, and are on the cutting-edge.

:+1:

4 Likes

Great feedback, @Blake.

I only just discovered the Yearly Insights template and wholly agree it can be addicting to see trends and splurges so easily summarized on an annual a basis. It’s my new favorite sheet.

Randy

In Google Sheets, you can multiply columns of TRUE/FALSE values together to do AND/OR/XOR operations:

Which is good for something like this, which will filter a sheet for rows that have either one value in one column or another value in another column, for example if you want to filter transactions from two accounts and show them in the same table:

=IFERROR(
  FILTER(
    TR!$A$2:$B, TR!$B$2:$B > DATE(sheetYear(), monthIndex($E$18), 1),
    ARRAYFORMULA(
      ARRAYFORMULA(TR!$F$2:$F = "account-one")
      + ARRAYFORMULA(IFERROR(SEARCH("account-two", TR!$M$2:$M) >= 0, FALSE))
      > 0
    )
  ),
  ""
)
3 Likes