Where do you add monthly budget amounts?

When I try to add monthly budget amounts for individual categories/line items, this notification appears saying “Heads up! You’re trying to edit part of this sheet that shouldn’t be changed accidentally. Edit anyway?” which makes it seem that it should be done somewhere other than the “monthly budget” tab . Is there somewhere else where these amounts go?

Yes, you enter the budget amounts on the Categories sheet, under the month for that category. You can also use one of the budget templates, including my “Budget Plan” template which needs to be installed and configured first.

Ahhh, thank you for the quick reply!

1 Like

I am in the process of retiring and using Tiller to fine tune our budget. I have 2023 pretty well in hand and it seems to be working great. With respect to 2024 however, what is the best way for me to set up the budget? Should I add additional columns on the category tab or is there a better way?
Thanks in advance!

Yes that is the best, and I believe only way to do it

Thanks Rick! I will give this a try.

2 Likes

This reference may also help.

Were you able to get it working, @dladymon?

I probably did not ask my initial question correctly. The answer did not work but I have begun watching Heather and Krista’s video on setting up for 2023 which was released a few months ago and will try that with an eye to creating my 2024 budget view. one thing that might be of value t other users is the “what if” views that people might want to do. Specifically, going from a Corporate Healthcare plan to Medicare causes a lot of budget changes along with the usual challenges of going from working to retirement incomes. I am trying to get ahead of things before next january.

Dal

Hi @dladymon This resource might be helpful too for budgeting multiple years in one sheet.

I personally like to start a new sheet every year. My goals and lifestyle (cost of living, income, habits, etc.) shift slightly year over year and I find it’s best to start with a new slate of categories based on whatever my plans are for that new year.