🏆 Paycheck Deduction Transaction Generator

A few troubleshooting questions:

1. Does the dropdown in AO5 show all the dates in column F? It should show all dates from F4:F99.
  2. When you choose a date from the dropdown in AO5, does AO4 then show the same date? It should show what’s in AO5 if it’s not blank.
  3. If so, do the dates in column CB match?
  4. If so, do the dates in column AT match (you might have to add date formatting to tell)?

I’m just getting started with Tiller and I love this workflow! Thanks for contributing. Works flawlessly for me, and I’m using it for three separate paychecks from different employers for me and my wife.

1 Like

Hi there, I too am using the Paycheck Deductions Generator and think I am having a similar issue where only certain paycheck dates I entered in Part 1 are populating in Part 3. Going by your troubleshooting questions to another user, when I get to question 3, the answer is No. Column CB is actually showing up blank.

1. Does the dropdown in AO5 show all the dates in column F? It should show all dates from F4:F99. YES
  2. When you choose a date from the dropdown in AO5, does AO4 then show the same date? It should show what’s in AO5 if it’s not blank: YES
  3. If so, do the dates in column CB match? NO
  4. If so, do the dates in column AT match (you might have to add date formatting to tell)?

The date override is working just fine for rows 4-14 in Part 1. But as soon as it gets to Row 15, everything is blank in Part 4. I’d also note that column AI is also blank too.

@melissah shared a copy of her sheet, and it ended up being that her paychecks were sorted with the most recent at the top, which it seems doesn’t work well. I’ll add a note to the documentation, when having more than one paycheck in section one, start with the oldest at the top and add newer ones below.

I have a weird issue that’s not a bug just the way I do things.
I sometimes get two paychecks the same day, one for my regular amount and one for around $20-40 to reimburse me for taxes I paid to another jurisdiction. In that paycheck, the money goes to an account that is one of the deductions in the paycheck generator, so the net pay is $0. I’m thinking of putting a filter in the results so that the amount has to be <> 0, so I don’t have to insert a row and then delete it. Does that make sense?

I also have to figure out which one to process first so the Waterfall sheet works with the paycheck filters.

Sounds like a strange situation. Doing like you suggest might work, or maybe categorize both as transfer so they zero each other out?

I don’t want to change anything in categories because it works for my main paycheck.
To clarify, my net amount for paycheck usually has money in it. When the check is $20 or so, for some reason my company sends it to the first account, not the “rest of paycheck” account. So in Paycheck Generator, the Net Amount in column E or whereever it is, is 0, and one of the check deductions has the $20. Right now, I just copied it all, and then just deleted the row with $0 amount, since that just seems the simplest way to do things.

I’m sorry if I missed this somewhere, but how do you handle it when you and your spouse have paychecks you’d like to track? I tried just listing all of our checks in section 1, but we get paid on the same date, so when I went to section 4, I can only select one of the checks to copy. Thanks for your work on this! This is a much more elegant solution than what I was using!

Create a copy of the sheet with a different name (eg. “Paycheck - His” & “Paycheck - Hers”).

1 Like

haha…of course I was thinking way more complicated than that. Someday I’ll learn the simple answer is usually the right one! Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Man I wish paycheck processing would get with the times and either:

1. deposit your gross pay and then make the deductions from your account, OR
  2. have their own API that allows you to pull this data into aggregators

because while this solution is great given the current state of things, I’m far too lazy to actually do this much work on an ongoing basis. This is what computers are supposed to be for.

1 Like

Agreed, shouldn’t be this hard…

Hello Super Hero…I’m new to Tiller…was a Quicken user for over 25 years. I’d like to try your Paycheck Deduction Transaction Generator but am not sure how to “Copy the “Paychecks” sheet to your Tiller Foundation template.” Can you help me understand the steps to take to make this happen? Your insights would be greatly appreciated! Ray

Woops, I never updated the documentation once the sheet was added to the Tiller Community Solutions Add-on. You can now install it from there (much easier). I’ve updated the documentation. Hope it works well for you, I still use it every two weeks!

Hello Super Hero - At this time, I’m more familiar with Excel as opposed to Google Sheets. Am I understanding correctly that your solution is compatible with Google Sheets and not Microsoft Excel?

You’ll want his Excel version here.

1 Like

@jpfieber Thanks for putting this together. Downloaded this today and have built it out up to Section 4 where I’m seeing an issue.

In Section 4, my Gross Income and deduction amounts are populating in column AS which is the “Date” column, and then the Category and Amount columns are blank. I presume the Category column once filled then automatically updates the Group column.

And I’m assuming you are deleting one of your Net Income lines after you paste into Transactions?

You’ll need a net income line to offset the one for your paycheck deduction, both would be categorized as Transfer types so only the Gross income is seen in reports as an Income type.

Not sure why amounts would show up in AS. What’s the heading of column AS? It should be whatever is in A1 of your Transactions sheet. The column below that heading then is supposed to grab that heading, then use the list in CO:CP to determine which column to grab from CB:DF.

Deleted the sheet and started over and it’s working now. Not sure what was happening with my first attempt. Did find one odd occurrence and it may be because you haven’t seen it yet?

I don’t have State Income Tax so I enter that amount as 0 in your Paycheck module which seems to break the Group column for some weird reason. I get a REF error in the Group column heading in both Transactions (which then blanks out the entire column there) and get the same REF error in the Group column heading in Section 4 of your tool.

If I delete the State Tax line in Transactions, everything resolves and the Group column fills back in.

You can rename column L from “StateTax” to anything you’d like (presumably one of your deductions, or you could just call it ‘D00’). You should then put the same thing in AH9.