Setting up biweekly budget for those of us who get paid every other Friday

Hi there, I get paid every other Friday, which means if I want to set up a biweekly budget (which is what I want), the calendar start dates will always change (one month I might get paid on the 8th and 22nd, whereas the next month I might get paid on the 12th and 26th, etc.)

Tiller works great for people who get paid on the same calendar dates every month (like the 1st and 15th), but it doesn’t work for the majority of Americans who get paid the way I do.

I’ve already tried the Envelopes template, but even that forces me to select (for example) “second Friday of every month” or “third Wednesday every two weeks”, so that unfortunately won’t’ work for my needs either.

Is there any kind of plan for Tiller to build this capability into your system, where we have control over choosing our budget start and end days/dates? I can’t find any other software out there that offers this, so if Tiller decided to build it, I think you’d get a ton of business from people like me who want to budget biweekly instead of monthly and whose paydays constantly fluctuate.

Thank you!

Emily Spanos

2 Likes

@emily.spanos,

We don’t have any short term plans for this right now. Because they aren’t fixed dates every month, it gets tricky in that “every two weeks” will wander farther and farther from reality.

You can use the Envelope Budget to do this already though. When you start a new budget just pick the bi-weekly option and set the “mode” and “start” day to align with your next paycheck date (e.g. if you get paid again this Friday you would set it to “second Friday”).

Then just pay attention to how the periods are set up in the Budgets History sheet and modify them as necessary.

Budgets History is a hidden sheet and you can edit the start and end dates for budget periods to mirror your paychecks, but the start date of one period should always be the end date of the previous period, you can’t have gaps in the start/end dates or it will create some issues in the budget.

You can also pre-fill future budgets directly in the Budgets History sheet so if you don’t want to have to continually keep an eye on this, just go ahead and map out all your future periods.

More on that in this video:

Can I have access to this video, we get paid bi-weekly and have set our old spreadsheet up that way. I would love to have tiller automate this so we can see how the money aligns every other pay period.

I’m thinking it’s this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnPG7rHMTZg&t=1s but @heather would know for sure.

Ok thank you, I will watch this and see, I commented on a blog post on the tiller community page - it had a video that was locked/private.