Seven: Automate your categories

What is AutoCat?

AutoCat is a feature in the Tiller Money Feeds add-on that allows you to build a customized rule set for automatically categorizing transactions and other customizations to your transaction data.

Example observations

Based on the rules that AutoCat suggested from recent transactions, you might uncover some interesting learnings about your spending.

Most of my suggested rules were for transactions that don’t really line up with achieving my goals, like a lot of spending at Jimmy John’s.

I’ve been to REI quite a bit recently based on AutoCat suggesting a rule for it. Spending on outdoor gear does align with my values because I love the outdoors and it helps me stay balanced, but maybe I need to cut back a bit so I can set aside more for a down payment on a house.

I could probably cut back on random iTunes purchases and make sure the kids ask for my permission before purchasing new games from the app store.

Wow, I can’t believe I’m still paying for that NY Times subscription!

Recommended Rules

If you don’t have them already some great rule ideas, all focused on Description Contains criteria are:

• Rent or mortgage payment
  • Utilities bills
  • Transfers to savings for your IRA or kids’ college funds
  • Grocery stores - try a multi-criteria rule for these if you shop at a few!
  • Car payment
  • Recurring subscriptions you don’t want to cut
  • Cell phone and internet bill
  • Credit card payments

Your turn to share!

What did AutoCat’s suggested rules teach you about your spending? What are some other recommended rules for recurring transactions or transactions at the same merchant that are categorized the same way?

Click “reply” below to share.

Resources & Support

Resources

Here are a few guides you may find useful as you work through the checklist for this segment:

Getting support

If you need help with completing any of the checklist items, including addressing account connection issues and errors, please reach out to our support team via the chat tool in the lower right corner of the Console at https://sheets.tillerhq.com/auth/google for the fastest response. The topics here are intended to be motivational, not for troubleshooting and the team via Chat can help you faster and more effectively than anyone here in the community.