Small Biz: how to account for line items on my invoices?

Haven’t found anything with a few different search queries so asking here!

I am attempting to switch from using quickbooks online simplestart to tiller, but can’t wrap my head around how to track the different line items on my invoices.

If specifics help, I make wallpaper and my typical invoice has line items for the following:
Panels
Customization Added Fee
Shipping
Sales Tax

And then I will go back in and add the bank/cc processing fee that I was charged.

Many thanks for any tips!
Stephanie

Hi @stephanie1,

Making wallpaper sounds like a fun biz :slight_smile:

Are you trying to track so that you can see the cost of those items amongst other expenses or are you trying to track the invoices themselves? Just wanting to understand the workflow you’re trying to accomplish.

Thank you Heather!
It is! :slight_smile:

I guess both? Or just the cost of the items amongst other expenses… ?
I use my crm for my invoicing and I can generate reports there, but I need to see things that they can’t show me - like ‘i’m charging this amount for shipping’ vs ‘the actual amount I’m paying for said shipping’
and I’d like, as the same time, to see those charges tagged to the specific invoices so I can look at the macro and the micro.

Does that make sense? I also need to track sales tax similarly…

@heather Any more help for this by chance? thank you

Bumping again, thank you!

These are interesting problems, @stephanie1. I haven’t seen too many conversations in this community about invoicing and, frankly, the granularity you are trying to achieve sounds like more than I have ever needed.

One thing that occurs to me is creating granular Income categories that match up with your invoices. So, essentially, each line item on an invoice would be a discrete, manually entered transaction with a specific category. You can also use a Tags column to attach transaction rows to invoices.

Do these ideas help?

Thank you, @randy !
Granula detail … yes, sometimes I can go overboard! Your ideas definitely help… I’m going to try to push everything from Tiller here to my airtable account now, and this way I think I can more easily account for my invoice items…
Thank you! have a great day.