What is the goal of your workflow? What problem does it solve, or how does it help you?
I use a ‘Waterfall’ chart to show category or group totals for selectable time periods, and make how expenditures fit within income more apparent.
How did you come up with the idea for your workflow?
My wife doesn’t understand numbers. To help her understand where our money is going, I need to provide visuals. Pie charts and Bar charts are OK for comparing categories to each other, but I wanted to include how expenditures fit within earnings. While figuring out how to do that, I stumbled across the ‘Waterfall’ chart type, included in Google Sheets. A waterfall chart shows how values add or subtract from a starting value. When referencing a sorted query, the chart uses vertical bars showing how your income was generated, and then a cascade of increasingly larger subtractions for each category or group, with a subtotal at the end showing the difference between your income and expenses.
Please describe your workflow. What are the sheets? Does it use any custom scripts or formulas?
Everything exists within one sheet that you can copy to your spreadsheet. The features of this sheet work out of box for Foundation Template users.
Anything else you’d like people to know?
You can change the period of time you’re seeing transactions from using the ‘Period’ dropdown. You can change if you’re viewing by category or group using the ‘View By’ dropdown.
If you enter the description of your paycheck transactions in S4 (either the entire description or a unique portion), you’ll see additional paycheck options in the Period dropdown. Note that the ‘Paycheck’ options will be most useful for those with a single major pay source.
- Current Paycheck - Enter your paycheck ‘Description’ in S4. Period starts on the date of the first transaction with a description that contains S4, and extends until now.
- Previous Paycheck - Enter your paycheck ‘Description’ in S4. Period starts on the date of the second transaction with a description that contains S4, and extends until the day before the first transaction with a description that contains S4.
- Since Last Sunday - Period starts on the most recent Sunday and extends until now.
- Since Start of Month - Period starts on the first day of the current month and extends until now.
- Previous Month - Period starts on the first day of last month and extends until the last day of last month.
- Since Start of Year - Period starts on the first day of the current year and extends until now.
- Previous Year - Period starts on the first day of last year and extends until the last day of last year.
- Number of Days - After selecting this period, B4 will become visible so you can enter a number. The period starts the number of days you entered before now, and extends until now.
- All - Period starts on the date of your oldest transaction and extends until now.
Is it ok for others to copy, use, and modify your workflow?
Yes, please, and please provide feedback on any issues you encounter and/or suggestions on how to make improvements!
If you said yes above, please make a copy of your workflow and share the copy’s URL: