Cash flow Tracking over time

Hi all, apologies if this was already posted but I did not see anything previously. I newly transitioned over to Tiller from Mint. I was curious if anyone has a way to do a cash flow tracking visually similar to what mint does in this screenshot.

Appreciate any assistance that can be provided!

1 Like

This is a cool chart, I can’t think of anything that’s available currently, but a great idea for someone to build!

Once you’ve categorized your transactions in Tiller and they get classified as Income, Expense, or Transfer types, then you can create a pivot table that generates total monthly Income and Expenses (alternatively you could create this dataset with a Query function). Once you have the data prepared, you can easily reproduce this kind of graph. I primarily use Google Sheets and could share an example, but since you posted in the Excel area, maybe you are using that platform and I show a screenshot that it can also be done there. I thought it also might be interesting to show the cumulative income as the dashed gray line. The great thing about using Tiller is that you have the flexibility to organize the data however you want. Good luck!

3 Likes

Tiller allows a lot of flexibility @KyleT as you show here. Nice charts!

Welcome @KyleT :wave:

If you’re open to it, would love to have you do a write up for how you created these charts over in the Show & Tell section. This is amazing! Show & Tell - Tiller Community

1 Like

Kyle! This is something I’ve tried to build myself and gave up after a few hours of hacking away at formulas. I clearly lack the expertise to do this in Google Sheets, it would be really appreciated if you could share a loom or template on how you accomplished this.

Thanks @heather, @ThinkEagle , I will put something together to share. I’ve been a Tiller user for a couple of years but am just recently getting more familiar with the community here, so I will see what I can do.

1 Like

That’s awesome! Thanks so much :slight_smile:

@KyleT Thanks for your comments! You certainly gave me some inspiration. I got the table and chart put together with pivot tables now. However, I am having issues getting the net income line across. I got the bars for income and expenses just fine… But I cannot seem to get the chart to include the grand total (which would be the net income).

The closest I could get is to add an additional values section and have it do a “running total in” the type (which specifies if it is an income or expense). However, when I do this, one of the lines represents net income and the other line seems to just represent expenses. And there seems to be no way to delete that data set (or ignoring it for the graph) without also deleting the net income line that I want.

I do also like the cumulative net income over the year that you have added but cannot figure out how to do that either. Any easy explanation there?

Not sure if the screenshot is enough to see how I have done it but any help would be appreciated! So close!

This is very cool! Thank you for showing both platforms.

@marshallagg87 You’re welcome - glad to hear that it provided some inspiration!

I’m wrapping up a solution that I’ll share as a Show and Tell soon - it’s on the Sheets platform and has an automated chart. Because my primary use case is Sheets, I have to admit that I took a shortcut in my initial response and built the Excel version of the chart from source data that was just pasted as a table into a blank Excel workbook.

To try and help with your follow-up questions, I went a step further this time and downloaded the Excel foundation template and populated it with some Transaction data. I created a pivot table and attempted to generate a PivotChart. But you got further than I did in that respect. After a little research I think it’s possible that I don’t have all of the PowerPivot features on my Excel for Mac version and even so, I just couldn’t figure out a way to get to my original chart as a PivotChart. So unfortunately I can’t help much further in taking that route,
however, I can offer two alternative methods to construct a dataset that you can then just apply a regular chart to:

#1 - The pivot table data can be pulled out to a separate table in the spreadsheet using the GETPIVOTDATA function. A tip to get that going is to simply pick a cell where you want the data and put an equals sign and then cursor select a cell in the pivot table and the GETPIVOTDATA function will get built out automatically for that cell. From there, just a few adjustments are needed to fill out the rest of the table. I am pasting a screenshot of the formulas so that you can see what I did. The data does dynamically update with refreshes to the pivot table data.

#2 - You can build your dataset with formulas instead of using a pivot table and I did this in a separate sheet and also included a screenshot of the formulas. This solution was designed to allow a selection for the starting year and month. (Note that I did have to add the “Type” and “Hide” columns to the Transactions tab in order to make the filtering easier- these are Columns O and P in the formulas).

After the data is established, it’s just a matter of making a regular chart. I initially chose the Chart Type: Combo Chart. But it seems that you can change the type of a data series by clicking on the chart to select that series and then use the menu item Change Chart Type and it will just impact that selected series. The only thing I haven’t yet resolved is how to get the chart to dynamically size to the available data so that if months are missing at the end of the set it doesn’t show them as zero.

Any other questions, just let me know and hopefully that helps!

1 Like

New to Tiller here and coming from Mint, this was one of the first gaps I noticed as well. Since I’m on Sheets, I’m really looking forward to seeing the writeup @KyleT is working on. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Cool idea, thanks for sharing!

@ThinkEagle, @cal

I created a Show and Tell for a Profit and Loss Analyzer sheet which contains this type of chart. There is an accompanying Loom. It does not detail the chart creation, but you may find it to be useful.

@KyleT thanks so much for creating that show & tell! Super helpful!

This is perfect, thank you. I think the GETPIVOT function solved the issue for me to allow me to make more custom charts. I really appreciate all the help on this! This is why I have enjoyed tiller so much so far.

2 Likes