Docs: Envelope Budget

I am trying to do this as well. I am migrating from YNAB 4 and would like to assign this months income to next months budget so I have a total months income to draw from each month. This was a feature YNAB eliminated in their new version and drove many away. Hoping Tiller can accommodate this.

@hintz.jeffrey, the budgets history sheet and all the functionality described in this topic is not compatible with the Tiller Foundation Template. They are separate budget templates so no Budgets History in Foundation, etc. You can read a comparison here.

To add your 2019 budget data to the Foundation template, follow the steps in this guide.

@lynda.jao, it sounds like you didn’t actually install the Budget template that’s described in this topic but perhaps are in the Foundation Template. You will need to start in a new sheet to install the Tiller Budget and get those columns.

1. Install the Tiller add-on (not Tiller Money Feeds) here if you haven’t already
  2. Open a blank Google Sheet from your Google Drive - make sure it’s the one you use for your Tiller subscription - we recommend a dedicated Google Chrome browser profile just for Tiller and no other Google Accounts.
  3. Open the Add-ons menu
  4. Open the Tiller Money Feeds add-on and choose Launch (or open sidebar) - if you haven’t installed it yet, (i.e. you don’t see it in the Add-ons menu) you can find it here.
  5. Link the new Google Sheet to the Tiller console and choose which accounts you want linked to this sheet and confirm.
  6. After a successful update, open the Add-ons menu and choose Tiller > Budget > Start
  7. Configure your budget and then start setting up Categories.
  8. If you already spent time working on Categories and categorizing data in the original sheet you started with, you can use the Migration Helper to move over the data from the original sheet into this new sheet.

@jacobvanags, when you’re first starting in this template it creates the last month and this month’s budget periods. You need to set these two period budgets manually via the green Adjust cell on the budget dashboard. The next month will be automatically created and re-use the previous month’s budget values. So March, when it’s automatically created on 3/1/2020 will use all the budget values from Feb. If for some reason March doesn’t automatically show up, just run Analyze Budgets History from the Tiller add-on menu > budget.

@bob.deatherage and @BrittneyP, I’m sorry we don’t have a great workflow for budgeting the current month’s income for the next month. I realize this is a loved feature of YNAB but the Tiller Budget just wasn’t built to handle that scenario. I know some customers have written into support about this in the past, before that template was supported here in the community, and I’ll try to dig up the old threads and see if one of these folks are still using it and would be willing to share their workflow.

Hi Heather,

Thanks! This worked and I got the rollover categories to appear (I was in the right template before, but that column just didn’t appear…).

Do you know how to add amounts to the budget? (I am starting off this month before I start doing the rollovers). Is that done in “Budgets History”? It was in the Categories with the Foundation Template, but I don’t see it here.

Thank you,
Lynda

Got it thank you!

Follow up question: I have rollover enabled for all expenses, but can tell January’s rollovers weren’t added/subtracted from February’s budget allocations (all of my rollovers rollover into the same category). Is there something else I need to do for this first “new” period on my budget to get the rollover amounts to be accounted for in Feb?

Note: I have already run “analyze budgets history”

Thanks!

Hi Heather,
My question was regarding using Tiller like YNAB 4 where this months income can be posted to next months budget so at the start of each month your budget is fully funded. Is this something Tiller can do? What if I simply changed the income posting date to the first of the next month?

Bob Deatherage

Bob, I do that for mine. I am paid once a month on the last business day. So I move it to the next month to fully fund that month. If I have card payments or transfers at the end of the month that process on the next month I will update their transaction date back to the prior month as well. It is a hassle but it helps my sanity.

Thanks James. I made the changes this morning and it appears to work well. Appreciate the help.

Reply: Tiller Money Community tillermoney+69102b112f66052c2d72c8d6a72c34f4@discoursemail.com

Hi @lynda.jao, glad you figured that out.

You can set the budget amounts in Budgets History on the budget lines for each month or directly in the Adjust cell in the Budget dashboard (column M).

@BrittneyP would @jamesabolton’s recommendation work for your situation. I never thought of doing something that simple.

I’m having 1 problem like @lynda.jao above. I’m doing envelope system budgeting and I’m using the Tiller Budget template (and not the Foundation template). My problems are as follows:

1. There’s no rollover option in Categories like the video shows at /t/tiller-budget-via-tiller-add-on-comprehensive-guide/110.
  2. There’s no Budget History sheet in the Tiller Budget template that I have installed.
  3. Where do I put my starting category amounts? For example in 2019, I saved money each month for my home taxes ($5K). In January 2020, I paid $5K for home taxes. Where do I put $5K that I’ve already saved for this category?
1 Like

Hi, I’m using the Tiller Budget for the first time. What’s the best practice when adding cash transactions? Should I simply add a new row in the transactions and label it as cash?

@randy and @heather
Hi, I created a Tiller Budget (envelope system) and categorized January 2020. Where can I go to see each of the envelopes? For example, in Jan my budget for “Clothing - Heidi” was $50 but only spent $20 so there is $30 left over. I assumed that category would start February with $30 - is there another location to see this?
In Monthly Budget and Budgets History sheets it only shows the total rollover amount, not broken down to each category.

Hi @wyliej30, you’d see the rollover amount from Jan > Feb on the Feb budget dashboard under the Rollover column.

If you didn’t have rollover to set for Jan budget on the Budgets History sheet then the rollovers from Jan > Feb won’t appear. It just depends on when you started the budget. This month or last month?

@heather, Jan 2020 is my first month doing the budget. When I go to Feb (2nd screen shot) it has the total rollover amount from Jan, but doesn’t break it down into each category. Know why this might be?

How do I enter the amount I want to budget for each category? There is no spot for that on the categories page, and if I try to put it on the monthly budget page, it ruins the formulas.

@ninamchurch

@wyliej30, check the Budgets History sheet and see if there are rollover to categories for the Jan budget. This is what determines the way categories should rollover from Jan > Feb.

Watch the the video under Working with the Budgets History Sheet > Creating Past & Future Budget Periods for more details.

Hi. I’m having trouble with my actual column staying at zero.
I’m new to this and can’t figure out what I am doing wrong.
I followed the set up instructions.
I’ve restored the dashboard and used analyse budget history with not success.
I’ve tried clearing the values in actual in budgets history also.
What am I missing?
Thanks.

Topic Controls

Hi @lauracampbell8010,

I just want to be sure I understand what’s going wrong here. You’re indicating that the Actuals are staying at 0 on the Monthly Budget dashboard, but you’re expecting them to be showing amounts?

Can you please make sure that you have categorized transactions for the period that’s selected in the top right of the budget dashboard sheet?

@heather thank you so much, that did it! I had to adjust the first month for rollovers in the Budgets History Sheet. Your video was a big help. Appreciate all you do!!

1 Like

Firstly, good thing y’all migrated to the foundation template as the default for new users, its way more simple to understand and get started than the budget template using zero-sum budgeting!

I’ve been studying this guide and video tutorials for a while now and love the concept but want to ensure Im putting it into practice correctly. In short, Im using the month of March to start fresh and manage rollovers moving foward, however I have transactions and budgets since the start of this year in my budget worksheet.

At the moment, March looks like this

The documentation says that the total rollover savings should ideally equal 0 but I’m not sure how to do that or if it’s even necessary? Can you confirm my set up is accurate and I should be able to move forward without issues despite total rollover savings not equaling 0 each month?

My rollover is working well for the most part, except for one area of my budget it isn’t rolling over. For example, we budgeted $120 for something in January, didn’t spend it, but in February, it says that we only have $120, not $120 + $120 rollover. We didn’t spend it again in February, so, in March, it says we have $120 + $120 rollover, but it should really be $240 rollover + $120. Does this make sense? Why is it not working?